What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Culinary Peppers Thread

LostTribe

Premium user
Ok I am an aficionado of hot peppers and have recently been growing several varieties.

scotch bonnets
bannana sport peppers
jalepenos

now I have acquired some south american varieties as well mainly the aji hot orange pepper from the andes as well as one red one that is very very hot!

Also growing herbs, potatoes, tom's, cuc's and others!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
aji's are great for salads and sauces. jalapenos ofc!!
and then some habanneros cause they are hot enaugh and have a good yeld. nice taste too.

Scotch bonnets are a favorite. I prefer serranos to jalapeños though, better flavor. Baccatums like the Peruvians have super flavor too. Have you grown any Chiltepins?

Betterhaff

Veteran
I used to grow Yellow Aji (C. baccatum). Wonderful pepper. One of my favorites from SA is Rocoto (C. pubescens). Tough to grow where I’m at and not the most prolific producers, I began hand pollinating the flowers to get better fruit set but well worth it. They’re very hot and meaty and have the most unique flavor. And they dry and keep relatively well and then can be used as a spice (damn I’m almost out).

I had Tepins for years, overwintered well. Talk about prolific…I had so many of those little f*ckers I didn’t know what to do with them. They pack a punch too.

'Fish' peppers are great, similar to a serrano but the peppers and entire plant is variegated.

'Aji Dulce' is another favorite, it looks like a habanero, has all the fruity smoky flavor of a habanero, but all the heat is on the seeds, and even that is fairly mild (compared with a habanero)

''Super Shepard' is a productive large Italian style sweet pepper and a favorite of mine.

LostTribe

Premium user
I used to grow Yellow Aji (C. baccatum). Wonderful pepper. One of my favorites from SA is Rocoto (C. pubescens). Tough to grow where I’m at and not the most prolific producers, I began hand pollinating the flowers to get better fruit set but well worth it. They’re very hot and meaty and have the most unique flavor. And they dry and keep relatively well and then can be used as a spice (damn I’m almost out).

I had Tepins for years, overwintered well. Talk about prolific…I had so many of those little f*ckers I didn’t know what to do with them. They pack a punch too.

I hand pollinate nearly everything these days with the lack of bees due to monsanto killing them off.

My aji and toms are ready to go in the ground and are much much bigger than previous years in both number and size, they HUGE!

Green Squall

This year, besides regular green bells, I''m doing poblano's and Italian frying peppers. Nothing crazy hot. I might add some cajun belles if I can find them. They are sweet with just a little zing.

sdd420

Veteran
I hand pollinate nearly everything these days with the lack of bees due to monsanto killing them off.

My aji and toms are ready to go in the ground and are much much bigger than previous years in both number and size, they HUGE!

So....how do you hand pollinate? Any info would be great thanks

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I've grown shit tons of different peppers over the years, kind of gave up on the "big" name stuff when I grew some weapons grade Carolina Reaper peppers and literally couldn't do anything with them they were so hot.

These days I grow three peppers every year, Cayenne, Chiltepin and Jalapeno. I dry and grind the first two and I let the Jalapenos turn red and then freeze them until I get a gallon ziploc.

Split them in half and cold smoke them and then fully dry them. Food processor, spice grinder then you have awesome Chipotle powder that adds flavor, smoke and a little heat to anything and everything. Can't live without it!!!

GoatCheese

Veteran
Habaneros are wonderfully fruity

Aji Cristal is also fruity and not so uber hot like Habaneros and the Bhuts

Krishna Jolokia and the 'Fish Pepper' are some of the coolest looking plants i've seen

:)

Green Squall

Anyone know what's up with this green bell plant? Could it be over watering? There has been some ridiculous amounts of rain in the last 48 hours.

Attachments

• 20160608_181137.jpg
    20160608_181137.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 11

GoatCheese

Veteran
Looks like it got sun burnt...was it just put outside?
Iwas thinking about the same thing. When i have overwater my chilis, the leaves go yellow and start dropping off.
If the white parts are still some what waxy, it's prolly light shock. Few of my jolokias went through the same shock a month ago on their first days outside.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Capsicum is split into 5 categories.. I like Frutescens and Chinense and standard bell peppers.. I usuall get my seeds from Moles or Real seed co. I would look @ ganja babas profile and in his chilli album.. That guy likes his peppers...

I am growing Aji Limon this season and some 'Peruvian' Alberto's locoto or something or other..

Betterhaff

Veteran
If your locotos have trouble setting fruit you may want to try hand pollinating. They have very pretty purple flowers, unique in the pepper world.

Green Squall

Looks like it got sun burnt...was it just put outside?

No, they have been outside for a few weeks now. And before that they were hardened off at the nursery. The leaves don't have that waxy feel either, they feel limp. It's just the green bells too. The other peppers are doing fine.

Oh well, no big loss here. I have plenty more in the main garden. The one's on my deck are just extras that I didn't have room for.

Latest posts

Latest posts