What's new

Kelp meal

OPT

Hello everyone, it's good to be back. After a 3 year halt on the passion I have, I'm in the process of getting back into swing! Upgrading my room with the proper ventilation I never had, is priority number one this go around. As far as the mix I am goin with, it's the LC standard mix I've went with on all the other past grows.

My question is, would it be fine to use the remaining kelp meal I had left over from way back when? It has been sealed up and kept in a decent location this whole time, and it's something that i'd rather not order at the time. I do plan on re purchasing new box's of bone and blood meal since they are so easily obtainable.

Also, any organic gurus got any recommendations on any new type of sativa/indica dominant strains that have shown great strides in organic gardens? I'm not looking for anything overly expensive, I was thinking maybe a mixed femizied pack from Greenhouse Seeds.

Thanks in advance,
Opt:rasta:

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
old kelp I have no experience, I would bet it stores well being that it's dried ?

strains, well anything grows in good soil. I would pass on GH and fem seeds, GH being a short second of shanti. fem, well there made from "unstable" plants, so.. my opinions though

OPT

What do you mean "short second of shanti"? Whats your recommendation on a plant that give a nice up high, but still has a nice yield? I'm thinking of a variety pack that has some sativa dominant strains, as well as some indica dominant, one for a after noon toke, another for that late night blast.

Stoned Crow

I've had my dried sea weed for about a year, and no noticable difference. The only time I use it is when I feel my soil is lacking certain nutes. Truthfully, I would like to get away from it, and find a soil mixture that doesn't need any ammendments, but I don't think that exists at this point.

OPT

LC's mix has always done well for me. After each grow, I could tweak it to make my plants grow better then the last crop, so i'm sticking with it. Just some peat moss, perlite, dolomite lime,blood and bone meal, kelp meal, wormcastings, and maybe some liquid karma.

The kelp meal I speak of should be ok I guess, i still have over half a box, damn near 3/4's. I remember always reading about the benefits of molasses in organic gardens, i might give that a try as well this year.

Stoned Crow

That's basically what I do, with a few twists!!! :whip:

I've read quite a bit on soils on this forum, and on ***** before it shut down, and I would like to hear if someone had problems with Black Gold (the mix with the orange lilly on the bag, not the cauliflour.) I researched it with the search function, but could only keep my mind untill page 18. in those 18 pages, I didn't find any negatives, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I'm interested in the Fox Farm line, and the Roots line, but right now it seems it's too expensive, or maybe my cheap old Black Gold is working too good for my experience.

Last edited:

OPT

Ya, I was kinda wondering bout that too maryjohn, thanks for the reply, I should be all set once i get my vent fan up. Now to choose a strain, I'm still leaning towards getting a femisized 5 pack from greenhouse seeds that has 1 of each of the following in it:

Church
Great White Shark
Lemon Skunk
Arjans Strawberry Haze
Hawaiian Snow

Then I was gonna add a pack of Nirvanas Blue Mystic. I've gotten seeds from nirvana a few times now like Papaya, white rhino, aurora indica, and skunk 1 and they always turned out great besides on my first grow, the rhino was a bit of a let down, but that was all on me.

I've also grown Cherry Bomb II from Reeferman Seeds. That was my last , and most successful grow! I had a few left over but I misplaced them somewhere! O well, on with the new batch's!

OPT

V

vonforne

What do you mean "short second of shanti"?

It means that after Shantibaba left GreenHouse the only thing Arjan had to go with was second hand cuts and seeds. See he kept the names while Shanti took the plants and the experience with him to Mr. Nice Seeds.

Old kelp will be fine to use......it´s dried.

V

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
personally i have nothing against feminised seeds or greenhouse. selfing is a perfectly acceptable horticultural practice. that mix pack sounds like a good variety.
great white shark is one of the most potent strains imo. if anyone has smoked a good well grown pheno i'd like to hear them try and say it's crap :)

lemon skunk is s'posed to be good too.

church is good outdoor but not the strongest.
heard mixed reports about AShaze - but had arjan's haze 3 which is lovely smooth sativa

hawaiian snow is variable.

good luck

V.

OPT

Went with AK-48 for now, maybe add a couple new strains in the future! I really like the appeal of the 48 with it's Sativa like high. I know I can't expect too much due to the fact it depends the pheno I get, but hey, whatever works!

Though pure Sativas can be a pain to grow indoors, I really wanna experience the effect of a 100 percent sativa! Maybe next go around I finally give it a try.

O, how my mind wanders thinking about this shit! I wish i had like 500 different types of pot to just, enjoy! Such a wonderful plant aye!??!

OPT

Check out Female Seeds on the Bou... All seeds are around $30 for a 4 pack, if you buy the X-line its 5 seeds per pack... They have Northern Lights (which I am growing right now), Ice, Black Widow, Pure Ak, Iced Grapefruit, Bubblegummer, White Widow x Big Bud and on SeedBay they have White Widow... I bet the Iced grapefruit (mostly sativa I think) has some pretty nice sativa leaning phenos

Stoned Crow

Check out Female Seeds on the Bou... All seeds are around $30 for a 4 pack, if you buy the X-line its 5 seeds per pack... They have Northern Lights (which I am growing right now), Ice, Black Widow, Pure Ak, Iced Grapefruit, Bubblegummer, White Widow x Big Bud and on SeedBay they have White Widow... I bet the Iced grapefruit (mostly sativa I think) has some pretty nice sativa leaning phenos

Do they have any of that WidowbigAKiceKushgrapefruitbud for less than 7.50 per seed? I can't figure out if this strain is a sativa leaning pheno? :sasmokin::sasmokin:

OPT

I've decided I'm leaving it up to my friends here at ICmag to chooose the next strain I do after the AK48, or I still might mix and match, it'll be another month or so before I'm ready to get things goin anyways. Please goto my Poll thread found in my signature and vote for the one you think I should get!

Also, the seeds I thought I misplaced...well I think I've found them! I think I gave them to an old friend years ago, and he thinks he still might have them somewhere! If they germ, it will be a great addition for the grow cab. If I remember correctly, he should have some Cherry Bomb II from Reeferman seed, and some Skunk #1 that I got as a freebie years back, i believe it was sam the skunkman's variety! Both plants I remember well, and they were lovely, espcially the cherry bomb!

OPT

Stoned Crow

Be sure to let us know how the AK turns out. I've been sitting on a pack of Seriouses' for a couple years, and haven't yet had the nerve - I've heard it's a complete day wrecker!! I like the clearer motivating - up strains. One of my fav's have been Paradises' Belladonna, it makes you pick up a broom and start sweeping just because you can - it's great idea weed. However, I grow for a couple medical patients, and have been told that AK is a fantastic medical strain.