Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Vertical / Colosseum Growing > bobblehead overtakes

Thread Title Search    
Click to buy IC Mag Products
Post Reply
 bobblehead overtakes Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #2896
bobblehead
Senior Member
 
bobblehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,634
bobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivorbobblehead is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursmoker View Post
ok so I finally finished and I think I've got more questions then answers haha...

I understand you switched to horizontal to deal with plant numbers and staying legal... totally understandable...

how would you deal with low plant numbers if you were still doing vert? I like vert due to less heat because of the removal of the reflector and lest upfront cost due to not purchasing a reflector... BUT unless you have a big space like you had 8x8x8 and ability to run multiple's HPS stacked... it seems it is hard to get good numbers and you still never managed to pull the numbers you expected with the vert racks anyway... but we all know theory is not the same as reality...

anyway my setup is looking like 600w dimmable... with 6" vortex and scrubber... how would you maximize this setup? regardless of vert, horizontal, whatever...

I will be running Organic Soil, probably hand watering to begin with... I like the idea of the Beds, but will prob be using grow bags at first...

I can't quite remember because it took me atleast a week to read this whole thread but at any point did you do a single bare bulb run and how did it compare to your horizontal runs? I know you usually ran more then one 600 horizontally but just on average... for example 3 600's yielded x... just tell me x divided by 3...

be sure to show us all the new thread when the time comes!

So awesome that you accomplished what you wanted! got two houses paid for and I assume most of your tuition paid off all from the lake house and now you are done with the paranoia and extra work load!

that's what I call success...

When you get a chance PM me, I could use some advice on education and schooling...
Exactly, more questions than answers.

The decision to go mostly horizontal really doesn't have much to do with the plant count. I could have ran vertical trees. If I was to do this legal and vertical, I would double stack my 600's and put 4 plants around each stack. The plants need to be opened up and spread out. Horizontal is just easier imo. The buds naturally want to grow at the top of the plant. IMO, its a lot easier to spread the light out evenly to as many tops as possible with a reflector. Anything down below is inferior and can go. There's plenty of vert vs. horiz threads... Read them if you want the pros and cons. I don't want to start a debate here, these are just my opinions.

Back to ease of use... I'm not going to burn anything on a glowing hot orb... I don't have to crawl on my hands and knees to manage the plants... Beds make for one large rhizosphere, which imo has benefits over individual pots. My beds are all on casters now, they move around real easy.

If you're looking to air-cool your space, cool tubes don't hold any heat seeing how they're made of 100% glass. I have a few in use now and I like them just fine. They do get dirty but just don't be lazy, and maybe put a filter over the incoming air. Then there's reflectors, like the adjustawing or hydrofarm pro reflector, made mostly of aluminum. Aluminum is a poor conductor, and doesn't really hold on to much heat. You can touch them with the lamps burning and it doesn't stay too hot. Hoods on the other hand have a bunch of other metal and they do retain some heat... but I'm surprised at how effective air-cooled hoods can be at keeping the heat down. They really do work well. I would buy the $60 cool tube though if you want to air-cool. I have a mini-split a/c now, so it doesn't matter if I use a hood, reflector, bare-bulb... It all gets cooled the same.

Fabric pots are way better than grow bags... fyi. Beds > fabric pots.

I've grown with a single 600w lamp, I prefer 2 600's stacked. I don't have an average yield, b/c so far I've been all over the map. I've pulled down .5-2lbs per 1200w many times. I'll be doing things more consistently now.



You're greatly mistaken about the level of my success. My lake house is far from paid for. My second house is 1/2 paid. The lake house has allowed for me to pay for 1 year of graduate school, and I'm making payments on my loans, they're also far from paid. I made the money I needed to upgrade my new house and make it growable. I live comfortably, but money is tight right now. I have just enough money to get by until the next crop. I still work a part-time job. Eventually I will pay off the lake house, and when I sell that property, that money will go toward my loans. I see the lake house as a sort of escrow account. I know in the end that monthly payment is going to eliminate the debt I'm carrying.

If you have questions about school you should PM me with your questions, or post them here. School is a very broad subject.
__________________
Medically Compliant

"it is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied"-
John Stuart Mill

bobblehead's organic bedroom of high brix gardening

bobblehead overtakes over
The Float Valve Auto Watering Thread
bobblepods v2.0. bobbleracks revamped- 4lbs 1gpw+
1800w flip pods... over
bobblehead's 1800w coco coliseumdone
bobblehead's 1200w Stadium v2.0. Many strains.
-over
bobblehead jest offline   Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #2897
soursmoker
East Coast, All Day!
 
soursmoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,285
soursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Exactly, more questions than answers.

The decision to go mostly horizontal really doesn't have much to do with the plant count. I could have ran vertical trees. If I was to do this legal and vertical, I would double stack my 600's and put 4 plants around each stack. The plants need to be opened up and spread out. Horizontal is just easier imo. The buds naturally want to grow at the top of the plant. IMO, its a lot easier to spread the light out evenly to as many tops as possible with a reflector. Anything down below is inferior and can go. There's plenty of vert vs. horiz threads... Read them if you want the pros and cons. I don't want to start a debate here, these are just my opinions.

Back to ease of use... I'm not going to burn anything on a glowing hot orb... I don't have to crawl on my hands and knees to manage the plants... Beds make for one large rhizosphere, which imo has benefits over individual pots. My beds are all on casters now, they move around real easy.

If you're looking to air-cool your space, cool tubes don't hold any heat seeing how they're made of 100% glass. I have a few in use now and I like them just fine. They do get dirty but just don't be lazy, and maybe put a filter over the incoming air. Then there's reflectors, like the adjustawing or hydrofarm pro reflector, made mostly of aluminum. Aluminum is a poor conductor, and doesn't really hold on to much heat. You can touch them with the lamps burning and it doesn't stay too hot. Hoods on the other hand have a bunch of other metal and they do retain some heat... but I'm surprised at how effective air-cooled hoods can be at keeping the heat down. They really do work well. I would buy the $60 cool tube though if you want to air-cool. I have a mini-split a/c now, so it doesn't matter if I use a hood, reflector, bare-bulb... It all gets cooled the same.

Fabric pots are way better than grow bags... fyi. Beds > fabric pots.

I've grown with a single 600w lamp, I prefer 2 600's stacked. I don't have an average yield, b/c so far I've been all over the map. I've pulled down .5-2lbs per 1200w many times. I'll be doing things more consistently now.



You're greatly mistaken about the level of my success. My lake house is far from paid for. My second house is 1/2 paid. The lake house has allowed for me to pay for 1 year of graduate school, and I'm making payments on my loans, they're also far from paid. I made the money I needed to upgrade my new house and make it growable. I live comfortably, but money is tight right now. I have just enough money to get by until the next crop. I still work a part-time job. Eventually I will pay off the lake house, and when I sell that property, that money will go toward my loans. I see the lake house as a sort of escrow account. I know in the end that monthly payment is going to eliminate the debt I'm carrying.

If you have questions about school you should PM me with your questions, or post them here. School is a very broad subject.

I agree with what you are saying about they naturally want to grow "tops"...

damn kinda discouraging to get all ready to go vert and now I am having second thoughts but I think I have an idea... I can try vert out with my tiny little 150w HPS and as for the upgrade I will buy some sort of hood/reflector so I can try horizontal and if I don't like it, I can always ditch the reflector...

I agree beds are the ultimate and fabric pots are better then grow bags... I will reconsider that decision as well...

General consensus seems to be that 2-600w's stacked is better than 1. Who would have thought? haha, IF YOU HAD TO... run a single 600w how would you do it?

sorry about jumping the gun on your success but think of it this way... you are prob one of few, if not the only person in your graduating class who owns two homes and still stayed on track of your regular life...

that is still success to me bro...
__________________


SCROG THREAD!
VERT Grow Thread!
ECSDxSSSDH test thread!




Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widely available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.
soursmoker jest offline   Quote


Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #2898
Mister_D
Senior Member
 
Mister_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,959
Mister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivorMister_D is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursmoker View Post
I agree with what you are saying about they naturally want to grow "tops"...

damn kinda discouraging to get all ready to go vert and now I am having second thoughts but I think I have an idea... I can try vert out with my tiny little 150w HPS and as for the upgrade I will buy some sort of hood/reflector so I can try horizontal and if I don't like it, I can always ditch the reflector...

I agree beds are the ultimate and fabric pots are better then grow bags... I will reconsider that decision as well...

General consensus seems to be that 2-600w's stacked is better than 1. Who would have thought? haha, IF YOU HAD TO... run a single 600w how would you do it?

sorry about jumping the gun on your success but think of it this way... you are prob one of few, if not the only person in your graduating class who owns two homes and still stayed on track of your regular life...

that is still success to me bro...
I know you're asking bobble for advice here, but i'm going to make a suggestion anyway . Read the satori f2 grow in my sig. I was using a single 600 in what I consider the most efficient setup for a single bulb (vert donut w/ trees). That grow space was never even close to dialed, but the principals are all the same for what you want to do.
__________________
Satori F2 Vert Grow (Completed)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=213034

D's Vertical Redemption (Completed)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....57#post4840157

D's Gone Hunting (Current)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....=1#post5941311

Cannafornia Seeds Caliente Kong & Alaskan Thunder Kong Test Thread (Current)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....15#post6280215

""Get It Fucking Done. It’s the truth, it’s the one thing you learn real fast in life is that nobody gives a fucking shit about excuses and the sooner you learn that nobody really gives a fuck about you, that you need to get off your ass and make shit happen then the better off everyone will be""". - Zakk Wylde
Mister_D jest offline   Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #2899
soursmoker
East Coast, All Day!
 
soursmoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,285
soursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivorsoursmoker is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_D View Post
I know you're asking bobble for advice here, but i'm going to make a suggestion anyway . Read the satori f2 grow in my sig. I was using a single 600 in what I consider the most efficient setup for a single bulb (vert donut w/ trees). That grow space was never even close to dialed, but the principals are all the same for what you want to do.

I welcome suggestions from ALL Vert-Ville heads.. not just bobble... just happened to be his thread was one of the most popular so i chose his thread to read through first...

thanks I am going to check it out now!
__________________


SCROG THREAD!
VERT Grow Thread!
ECSDxSSSDH test thread!




Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. I do not grow or condone the growing of anything not legal. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widely available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.
soursmoker jest offline   Quote


Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #2900
Maina
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 843
Maina is a splendid one to beholdMaina is a splendid one to beholdMaina is a splendid one to beholdMaina is a splendid one to beholdMaina is a splendid one to beholdMaina is a splendid one to beholdMaina is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Exactly, more questions than answers.

The decision to go mostly horizontal really doesn't have much to do with the plant count. I could have ran vertical trees. If I was to do this legal and vertical, I would double stack my 600's and put 4 plants around each stack. The plants need to be opened up and spread out. Horizontal is just easier imo. The buds naturally want to grow at the top of the plant. IMO, its a lot easier to spread the light out evenly to as many tops as possible with a reflector. Anything down below is inferior and can go. There's plenty of vert vs. horiz threads... Read them if you want the pros and cons. I don't want to start a debate here, these are just my opinions.

Back to ease of use... I'm not going to burn anything on a glowing hot orb... I don't have to crawl on my hands and knees to manage the plants... Beds make for one large rhizosphere, which imo has benefits over individual pots. My beds are all on casters now, they move around real easy.

If you're looking to air-cool your space, cool tubes don't hold any heat seeing how they're made of 100% glass. I have a few in use now and I like them just fine. They do get dirty but just don't be lazy, and maybe put a filter over the incoming air. Then there's reflectors, like the adjustawing or hydrofarm pro reflector, made mostly of aluminum. Aluminum is a poor conductor, and doesn't really hold on to much heat. You can touch them with the lamps burning and it doesn't stay too hot. Hoods on the other hand have a bunch of other metal and they do retain some heat... but I'm surprised at how effective air-cooled hoods can be at keeping the heat down. They really do work well. I would buy the $60 cool tube though if you want to air-cool. I have a mini-split a/c now, so it doesn't matter if I use a hood, reflector, bare-bulb... It all gets cooled the same.

Fabric pots are way better than grow bags... fyi. Beds > fabric pots.

I've grown with a single 600w lamp, I prefer 2 600's stacked. I don't have an average yield, b/c so far I've been all over the map. I've pulled down .5-2lbs per 1200w many times. I'll be doing things more consistently now.



You're greatly mistaken about the level of my success. My lake house is far from paid for. My second house is 1/2 paid. The lake house has allowed for me to pay for 1 year of graduate school, and I'm making payments on my loans, they're also far from paid. I made the money I needed to upgrade my new house and make it growable. I live comfortably, but money is tight right now. I have just enough money to get by until the next crop. I still work a part-time job. Eventually I will pay off the lake house, and when I sell that property, that money will go toward my loans. I see the lake house as a sort of escrow account. I know in the end that monthly payment is going to eliminate the debt I'm carrying.

If you have questions about school you should PM me with your questions, or post them here. School is a very broad subject.
I like this guy hard working thinker
Maina jest offline   Quote


1 members found this post helpful.

Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Click to see great products at Aqua Lab!

This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.