What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mid Western Hemp breeding.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
The Farm bill being passed was awesome!

Before that I had always been curious about Mid Western Hemp that escaped during America's WW2 "Hemp for Victory" period.

Do we have any Hemp growers from the Mid West here that plan on xploring these genetics?

Would so love access to the seeds of plants that have sustained themselves in the wild for almost 80 years!

PDX Dopesmoker

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that the ditch dirt carries some rugged genes for surviving in their local climates after all those years of wild breeding.

TruffleButler

Is there much of that stuff still around? I haven't heard about 'marijuana patch' discovery since the 90s. They hit the hemp pretty hard back then.

PDX Dopesmoker

Is there much of that stuff still around? I haven't heard about 'marijuana patch' discovery since the 90s. They hit the hemp pretty hard back then.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if I've heard anyone speak the phrase "Dakota ditch dirt" yet this century. Too bad if its all gone I guess.

LostTribe

Premium user
I am sure its still around my buddies in college took me out to their farms and showed me some. Being a total newb I thought the males were female and cut down a grocery sack full of the mess and dried it out. What a fuckin headache it gave me. They have spots where it pops up every year and reseeds then just keeps popping up. They knew right where it would be.

I am interested in seeing if any of them might be interested in farming it. What is going on with this new bill?

GrowingHigher

It's still around. A friend sent me seed from a feral population in Independence, Wisconsin last year. When I lived in La Crosse, WI (2013-16) there were farmers in Minnesota that also said they commonly found volunteer hemp on their land, but I couldn't get any seed. There was also a jar of local collected hemp seed that was about 40 years old in the UW-L mycology lab. I have some of that, but no luck germinating.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I just popped a couple of hemp seeds myself
biggrin.gif

They're rather dark and small.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

hunt4genetics

Veteran
It will be interesting to see as 2019 goes on, if Mid western Legal Hemp farmers will want to work with some 80ish year old genetics! I so wish I could try my hands at some mid-western feral seeds! happy growing~!!!

GrowingHigher

It will be interesting to see as 2019 goes on, if Mid western Legal Hemp farmers will want to work with some 80ish year old genetics! I so wish I could try my hands at some mid-western feral seeds! happy growing~!!!

I doubt it. They will be of most interest for disease resistance genes and adaptability traits. There may be some good fiber genes out there too. Most are probably of too poor structure and cannabinoid content for the current CBD farmer.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Is there a website that sells wild ferel hemp seeds harvested from the American mid west? There is a market place for that.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Wouldn't be a bad idea for the people out mid west to start collecting all those special hemp land races from out in the bush.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Wouldn't be a bad idea for the people out mid west to start collecting all those special hemp land races from out in the bush.

I agree. I salivate when I think of all that so called "ditch weed" in the American mid-west. I would love to get my hands on those genetics.

They escaped those "Hemp for Victory" farms, and have been taken care of themselves (With the help of nature) for all most 75 years! They must have great breeding potential.

PDX Dopesmoker

I agree. I salivate when I think of all that so called "ditch weed" in the American mid-west. I would love to get my hands on those genetics.

They escaped those "Hemp for Victory" farms, and have been taken care of themselves (With the help of nature) for all most 75 years! They must have great breeding potential.

The idea of getting genes that come from a naturally self propagating variety sure does seem to have a lot of potential upsides. The Hunter Valley cannabis infestation in Australia is some other ones worth looking at if any of them are left.

'Boogieman'

Im surrounded by ditch weed here in Indiana. I have eradicated every patch I can find so it doesn't seed my outdoor grows. I occasionally get a seed here and there and it all goes in the trash. There is really nothing special about it besides how hardy it is. I have tried to grow seeds from my homegrown weed and it's just garbage. From someone who just wants to grow weed and get high it's the last thing I will ever want in my genetics.

It's a tall spindly plant with some branching, somewhat long thin sativa leaves. No trichome production what so ever. You could run butane through a pound of wild hemp and maybe get a .5 of oil if your lucky.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
^ Fair enough, but there still might be a gold mine in those genetics... I'll bet people used to say that about ruderalis plants, and look where we are now. I'm just saying.

This is a great thread.

PDX Dopesmoker

Im surrounded by ditch weed here in Indiana. I have eradicated every patch I can find so it doesn't seed my outdoor grows. I occasionally get a seed here and there and it all goes in the trash. There is really nothing special about it besides how hardy it is. I have tried to grow seeds from my homegrown weed and it's just garbage. From someone who just wants to grow weed and get high it's the last thing I will ever want in my genetics.

It's a tall spindly plant with some branching, somewhat long thin sativa leaves. No trichome production what so ever. You could run butane through a pound of wild hemp and maybe get a .5 of oil if your lucky.

Breed some THC and resin production into the wild stuff then rerelease it to the wild and have it infect the wild stuff.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Ditchweed Illustrated

Ditchweed Illustrated

Dewey mentioned this operation in his 1913 report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5IQ2PrSWG4

picture.php

picture.php

Not sure if I mentioned in earlier threads that hash can be made from ditchweed - it is not actually done even though it is sticky - the authorities frown on it and the hash would be half bugs, bug shit, bacteria, and fungus. Or that counties nationwide have been getting paid for eradication by the DEA for years now.

'Boogieman'

Breed some THC and resin production into the wild stuff then rerelease it to the wild and have it infect the wild stuff.

I have planted males in spots where it grows far far from my house actually, killed the hemp males even. It would realistically take millions of plants to do the job here. I can drive a pickup down certain railroad tracks in other towns and fill the entire bed in no time in fall if I wanted. You can chop a hemp plant at soil level in july and come back to a 5x5 bush a month later it is very hardy.