What's new

Today NOV 20 2019 USA Legalizes Cannabis

WishDoctor

The House Judiciary Committee approved a bill Wednesday Nov. 20, 2019 that legalizes marijuana on the federal level, removing it from Schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances Act.
The legislation, which passed 24 to 10, has a high chance of approval in the full House where Democrats control the chamber with 234 seats. It’s likely to face a tougher battle in the Republican-controlled Senate, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell opposes marijuana legalization.
The legislation allows states to enact their own policies and gives them incentives to clear criminal records of people with low-level marijuana offenses. It also includes a 5% tax on cannabis products that would provide job training and legal assistance to those hit hardest by the war on drugs.
According to the American Civil Liberties Union, marijuana arrests account for more than half of all drug arrests in the United States. U.S. lawmakers on Wednesday repeatedly cited the disproportionate impact drug laws have had on communities of color, saying that decriminalizing marijuana helps alleviate some of that imbalance.
“The criminalization of marijuana has been a mistake,” Chairman Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., said during the markup of the bill. “The racial disparity in marijuana enforcement laws only compounded this mistake with serious consequences, particularly for minority communities.”
Some Republican members expressed concerns that the bill went too far and that it was unlikely to be taken up in the Senate.
“I don’t think a majority of the Republicans will support this bill,” Rep. Ken Buck of Colorado said Wednesday. “It is even less likely that the Senate would take it up. Therefore, I would just suggest that we deal with other bills that we can get a much larger bipartisan support from.”
In response, Nadler said that House Democrats can “negotiate” with the Senate, acknowledging Republicans won’t take the bill “as is.”
“I don’t think it’s a good idea ... to say, ‘the Senate won’t take this bill,’” he said. “When the House passes a bill, it’s part of a continuing process. It’s not the end of a process.”
The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, also known as NORML, has called the legislation the “biggest marijuana news of the year.”
A majority of Americans support the legalization of marijuana, according to the Pew Research Center.The bill has more than 50 co-sponsors, according to Congress.gov. Backers of a Senate version of the legislation include, presidential contender Sen. Kamala Harris.
Only 11 states in the U.S. and the District of Columbia have legalized cannabis for recreational use. Medical marijuana, prescribed by physicians, is legal in 33 states and Washington, D.C.
The committee approval comes two months after the House passed legislation that would protect banks that serve marijuana businesses in states where the substance is legal.

WishDoctor

For the first time in history, a congressional committee has approved a bill to end federal marijuana prohibition.
The House Judiciary Committee passed the Marijuana Opportunity, Reinvestment and Expungement (MORE) Act in a 24-10 vote on Wednesday, setting the stage for a full floor vote.
The vote saw two Republicans—Reps. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and Tom McClintock (R-CA)—join their Democratic colleagues in support of the bill.
Debate on the bill generally followed two tracks. Republican lawmakers argued that the bill was being rushed and that it should be subject to additional hearings, while Democratic members responded that there’s been enough debate on the issue and that there’s no time for delay in beginning to reverse decades of harms of prohibition enforcement.
On the other hand, some GOP members who recognized that the status quo is untenable pushed for legislative action on a separate piece of bipartisan cannabis legislation—the Strengthening the Tenth Amendment Through Entrusting States (STATES) Act—which does not contain social equity elements or formally remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act and would simply leave cannabis policy up to the states, arguing that a scaled-down approach would fare better in the Senate.
“We may need something a little less than MORE,” Gaetz said.
The approved legislation, introduced by Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), would federally deschedule cannabis, expunge the records of those with prior marijuana convictions and impose a five percent tax on sales, revenue from which would be reinvested in communities most impacted by the drug war.
It would also create a pathway for resentencing for those incarcerated for marijuana offenses, as well as protect immigrants from being denied citizenship over cannabis and prevent federal agencies from denying public benefits or security clearance due to its use.
“These steps are long overdue. For far too long we’ve treated marijuana as a criminal justice problem instead of a matter of personal choice and public health,” Nadler said in his opening remarks. “Arresting, prosecuting and incarcerating people at the federal level is unwise and unjust.”
“I’ve long believed that the criminalization of marijuana has been a mistake,” he said. “The racially disparate enforcement of marijuana laws has only compounded this mistake with serious consequences, particularly for minority communities.”
House and Senate members, and outside legalization advocates, cheered the bill’s committee approval.
“The passage of the MORE Act represents the first time that the Judiciary Committee has ever had a successful vote to end the cruel policy of marijuana criminalization,” NORML Political Director Justin Strekal said. “Not only does the bill reverse the failed prohibition of cannabis, but it provides pathways for opportunity and ownership in the emerging industry for those who have suffered most.”
(See Marijuana Moment’s full reaction roundup piece for more commentary from other stakeholders.)
Earlier, lawmakers that have advocated for cannabis reform held a press conference in advance of the vote on Tuesday to highlight the need for the federal policy change. And while Nadler said that it was possible that compromises could be made later in the legislative process, he doesn’t see the need to scale back the proposal’s reach at the onset and feels that bipartisan support will build around his bill.
He also told Marijuana Moment that he is optimistic the legislation will get a full floor vote before the end of the current Congress, and part of that confidence comes from the fact that his panel has been communicating with other committees where the bill has been referred in the hopes that they waive jurisdiction to expedite its advancement.

WishDoctor

99% of bills submitted into the house pass.

question
what happens to the cannabis industry?

using Oregon as a example...You can get chronic for $125lbUS
market has been dead for over a year

with my permits here I'm allowed 72lbs\I have excess in that amount

same with everyone here growing in OR
Now when everyone in the USA starts growing the Glut is here to stay.

What do you peeps have to say...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
This is a terrible deal for cannabis - and not a political post

This is a terrible deal for cannabis - and not a political post

Look, President Trump already made Cannabis fed legal with a stroke of his golden pen, and it cost America NOTHING. CBD, in full spectrum (I believe that is damn close to all of the cannabis plant except THC) and isolate are available everywhere, especially in the southeast. The health stores, drugstores, doctor offices, etc who carry quality stuff - can't keep the stuff in stock. The word is out and painful voters who want off opoids are seeking plan B, so now set the hook. Tell the boomers (who already probably have smoked) the truth about hemp... it is cannabis. Period. Same plant, diff strain. Also, make drug tests for work reflect reality.

All that is still illegal on schedule I is THC as best as I can tell. And with all the results of medical uses, it would only take another stroke of the golden pen to take THC off the fed schedule I.

Trump wins by a landslide! Note: He has the power to do this today.

The dems fear this as much as they fear an honest DOJ, so nadler is proposing to "take THC off schedule I - but for 5% vig" law. And he wants to use the skim to buy votes. 5% is the camel's nose in the tent.

CBD is FED FREE!!!!

LOOK!!! Do not wish for the feds to get involved in cannabis beyond removing THC from the sched I list, where it has no business being in the first place.

They take away something and make you compromise and pay to get it back?

This is not a political post but laws and elections are closely related.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
99% of bills submitted into the house pass.

question
what happens to the cannabis industry?

using Oregon as a example...You can get chronic for $125lbUS
market has been dead for over a year

with my permits here I'm allowed 72lbs\I have excess in that amount

same with everyone here growing in OR
Now when everyone in the USA starts growing the Glut is here to stay.

What do you peeps have to say...

I would say that you have a magic well from which to make medicinal elixir. People can only get so high all the time, but feeling better is golden. Get the word out about pain cremes that don't get you high. Make and take some of GW's HAO to the local church and see if the Pastor wants to keep it all for himself after trying it, like in the old days. Have him preach the gospel of the stuff, but people are too lazy to make their own.

And send me a few tubs too. please. :huggg:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
read the bill. this will hand the legal weed market to Big tobacco.

all cannabis is treated under tobacco rules and to manufacture in US you will have to be Bonded with the feds to put tax stamps on all your products.

there are only 5 companies in US making virtually all the taxed stamped tobacco and you or me wont be the 6th to jump into bed with Uncle Sam.

think of the thousands of state legal business open today that won't be able to navigate the federal bonding process, they will still be federally banned under this.

I'm betting the penalties for selling weed without a tax stamp after this passes will be worse than whatever they are today and there's a new type of federal weed cop looking for you in the future too... prolly with a satellite. :biggrin:

didn't see any homegrown limits which is cool.

Here come de Schwagg.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Man, next time you go to Hot Topic T-shirt section, stuff like this will be labelled "Retro"

A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C81qT-j9VvaL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0._UX522_.png

Times, they are a changing.

Goodherb

Good policy is good politics.BIG money tends to be hand in hand with politician. The more things/time changes ,things remains the same;"it the best of times ,its the worse of times"!
We continues to say,its the healing of the nation.
CANNABIS!
Physician heal thy selfs!

Latest posts

Latest posts