What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Home cultivation “creates a significant public safety risk!"

packerfan79

Veteran
I don't know about the rest of ya, but I trust the weed I grow, more than anything else. One of the guys I work with kept bugging for me to cut him a deal (since the unlicensed shop is cheaper). I smoked a bowl of his shop crap. Yuck, no flush, chemy as fuck. We smoked a j of my stuff, whole different ballgame. His bud looks great but, now he's paying more for mine. He asked me why he doesn't develop such a tolerance to my bud? Real simple, no pgrs. Its amazing what people smoke with no clue what is in it.

Dawgfunk

Arrest me for growing...I stand by my statement...come snag what i got in the ground and i’ll make sure to have 1000seeds sprouted before I even go downtown...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Fire isn't just a variety. Funny how that isn't being talked about.

igrowone

Veteran
talking about electrical fire hazard?
that is actually a real issue
but people grow other things than cannabis under electric lights
perfectly legal things, doesn't seem to trigger talk of banning culinary herb grows

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

A person can FEAR things or they can prepare for and/or prevent them.
It's their choice!

Aside from growing, curling irons and other bathroom appliances are probably a far bigger hazard and there's no talk of banning them. Same goes for your toaster or your oven. Even more dangerous are gas appliances! Yet ALL these things are installed in many homes across the US of A with zero talks of banning them.

Why is fear mongering so rampant?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
My grandfather who raised me was an electrical engineer and given his knowing of everything that could possibly go wrong, was very uptight about electrical safety. Whenever we would leave the house he would be very meticulous about checking every single thing to make sure it was turned off or unplugged. We once made an hour drive to go fishing... As soon as we got there he swore that he had left a light on and insisted we go back. Drove back for an hour and everything was shut off. He wanted to drive back and go fishing, but by then I really didn't feel like going anywhere again.

Funny thing, several years later he was frying some sausage on the stove and decided to go out in the garage and do something. He came back in to the stove completely in flames. Luckily he thought quick and put a lid on the pan extinguishing the flames before they could spread. The whole stove and range above it were completely melted, not to mention the ceiling was covered in black soot and the whole house smelled liked burnt plastic and paint. Grandma never let him hear the end of that one.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Do you have a power point in your bathroom for them tongs and hairdriers though?

Do you deal with a burnt grow things most years, like I do. Or have you lost a friend following a grow fire, as I have.

Perhaps you have a circuit suitable for using water and electric together, but I doubt it.

Are your lamps designed for them open fittings?

I have never seen a home grow that's up to code. Not even close.

Why are we even talking about home appliances installed and used correctly. Do you actually think that's what a home grow is?

Ignorance really is the issue.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
There is no point me carrying on. Even among electricians the ignorance can be jaw dropping. I'm expecting too much. I have been banned from a site for suggesting water on a hydro system presents a shock hazard, following a shock. Everyone claimed water doesn't conduct. Many claimed to be electricians..

I'm out before I get brow beaten.

igrowone

Veteran
There is no point me carrying on. Even among electricians the ignorance can be jaw dropping. I'm expecting too much. I have been banned from a site for suggesting water on a hydro system presents a shock hazard, following a shock. Everyone claimed water doesn't conduct. Many claimed to be electricians..

well, i'm not brow beating you at all
i think concern for safety is damn commendable
i'm just pointing out that in a climate of illegalization, code violations will be a given
legalization probably won't change that quickly
but it could, provide incentives for by the code grows
for example, if you're up to code and you've been ripped
then it's a police priority to respond as like any other burglary
this won't happen overnight

White Beard

As usual the state's rights and interests are more important than individual rights. Keep voting for Democrats, who are 100% about the STATE and the STATE'S interests and this is what you will always get. The Republican's are all about big business.
Don’t let the ‘sovereign’ states out of the corner: the red states (at least) dominate individuals and communities within their borders, they are run as fiefdoms, for the benefit to each state’s important families...and the “republicans” are *all about* the states

So you have one aide of the isle looking out for the STATE and the other side is looking out for corporate interests. Who is looking out for individual rights? Nobody and that is why we have fewer and fewer rights.
We have to look out for our OWN rights, and assert them. The parties only pay attention to the voters when they have to. It’s up to US to make them have to.

Oh and by the way, the state will allows hundreds of pesticides for commercial grows. They will test for some and as long as the residue is low, it will pass. If the growers use pesticides that are not on the state's list to test, it can exceed the safe limits 100 times over. That's what was found in Washington.
There are already pure food and drug laws. We don’t need to recapitulate basic physics to accommodate cannabis. It’s just another crop, and if it’s not put on the market for sale, the rules of free enterprise are in force.

The Democrat run state looks out for revenues and the Republicans look out for corporate interests. New York can look forward to expensive pot and believe me, you will have no idea what will be on those buds. Have fun with your legal pot.
Would be swell if Democrat and Republican broke out the way you say, but of course it’s more complicated than that.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran

You mean as an excuse to keep homegrows illegal? In Washington state an idiot(s) had a medical grow along Pac Highway 99, in a group of buildings coded for retail and industrial. They ended up starting a fire, burning down a hairdresser and a couple other businesses. Luckily it was at night so no one was injured. The local news jumped on it, another reason why medical marijuana is bad and should be banned and replaced by a recreational system that doesn't allow homegrowing.

Which is bullshit. The grow had way more lights and plants then was legal at the time. This didn't stop the people running the grow from breaking the rules. During prohibition people were far more likely to do crazy stuff like running thousands of watts on a system that's designed to run a washer/dryer at the most. You're much more likely to break code and not hire a licensed electrician when you're breaking the law. During prohibition I knew electricians who were 'cool', you'd hire them to do you're illegal wiring.

This isn't a legality issue this is a security/safety issue. Big difference. For instance I grow outdoors, I don't use any artificial lighting. It doesn't make me happy when someone suggests I shouldn't be allowed to supply myself with cannabis because someone else killed themselves with stupidity. It's sad your friend died, I know how much that sucks because I've also had friends die for stupid reasons.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Look man...
If you want something to bitch about find something more legit like BHO disasters!
We're still having several BHO explosions every year from folks that are being STUPID and blasting in unsafe contained enviros.

Grow rooms are NOT a threat to anybody other than corporate interests!

STOP the fear mongering!

Oh... and By the way... water, itself, does not carry electricity very well. It will once electrolytes (mineral salts) are added to the solution.

St. Phatty

my observation - fires are a real hazard with home Cannabis grows.

I've had one real fire and melted one power strip, growing Cannabis. The real fire I caught and put out before it became too big. Xmas eve 1997.

Showed up at Xmas eve dinner smelling like plastic carpet smoke.

How ironic ! I was a little concerned about the possibility of a fire although I've had no issues in my 1.5 years of growing that actually started a fire. However, my 1st grow was with Cheap 600 watt LED's I bought on Ebay for $59 ea. One day 1 quit working so I opened it up to check it out. The power switch was completely melted along with most of the wires. I feel I got lucky. Those lights (all 4 of them) went straight in the trash. So yes, Cheap lights I believe can start a fire. So, the government should be cracking down on the light manufactures to ensure the lights are not a safety hazard.
Although, I bought all new higher quality lights .... I still bought 2 Fire Extinguishers just in case. Never hurts to be prepared. Now, I do think it would be a positive thing for the government to step in & require a home grower to have a fire extinguisher on hand. That would make pretty good sense to me.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Danger from Fire?
From home grows?
Cause
Nobody ever overloads a circuit unless they are growing weed.
What about space heater, gotta out law them too.
And lets not forget about cheap china electronics.

How about we just make having a low IQ illegal too.
Why do they need to save us from ourselves?

Latest posts

Latest posts