What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Medicinal Effects of Strains

DrJay2001

now at peace
A number of folks have suggested we start a "sticky" thread (one that stays on top) that details our experience with various strains we've grown or tried and how the cannabis assisted in helping us with a wide variety of medical conditions. I guess I'll ask the Admins how to create a sticky but in the meantime we can get started!

I'll start the first report with BOG's Lifesaver. BOG calls this his "medical" stain and most who have tried it heartily agree.

Lifesaver is a hearty plant with good yield and a fast flowering time of 40-50 days. Often described as an Indica dominant "couchlock" strain, I find Lifesaver to be relaxing but not paralyzing like some stronger Indicas such as Black Domina or Snowbud. Our Lifesaver had a "Sativa" pheno and was very special. With trifolate leaves the Jacks Cleaner (a Haze) comes through producing a very balanced smoke.

Here's Lifesaver during veg:
798Lifesaver_4-med.JPG

We have been amazed at how fast Lifesaver finished. We've harvested from 38 days to 45 days. It all depends on the growing conditions. Flowers appear quickly along with resin. Here's a shot of Lifesaver during flowering:
798Lifesaver_30_days-med.JPG

Our yield wasn't great but every bud is quality:
798Lifesaver_Bowl-med.JPG

We dry our Lifesaver hanging in the dark with a fan for 5 days then in a kief drawer for a couple of days then for 2-4 weeks in mason jars opened once each day.

798LS_Nuggies-med.JPG

I believe Lifesaver is best used as fresh as possible (within the first 4-6 weeks). This is when the cannabidiol (CBD) is highest. CBD and Lifesaver have powerful anti-inflammatory effects, and Lifesaver is superb for muscle relaxation and back pain.

Lifesaver isn't overpowering like Train Wreck but is strong enough. As you can see there is tons of crystal on this fine medical strain.

798Humboldt_Lifesaver-med.jpg

The taste is of grape candy! This is a delicious smooth smoke. One toke calls for two etc. It's easy to knock out a bowl of this strain and be medicated before you know it. While relaxing I also found our pheno of Lifesaver to have some antidepressant qualities providing a lift you wouldn't expect from an Indica.

We took our Lifesaver up to Humboldt where it is now being cultivated by a major medical caregiver. We hope to see it in dispensaries soon.

I give Lifesaver a 9 on a 1-10 as an overall grade considering ease of growth, speed of flowering, taste, and potency.

Yours,
Dr. jay

Rifstonian

Thank you SO much Dr. Jay, not only for this great report and the great education you are giving everybody but also for getting this strain to a grower!!! I've been salivatiing for this and BOG's LSD for some time. After having just tried the remedy diesel I want the lifesaver x with a diesel badly!!!!

thanks again.

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
KAL X

KAL X

medical tilt: the flavor of the kal x is very light, a slight pine/hash taste with almost no expansion. the high is very laid back, sleep inducing, stops nausea in its tracks and causes munchies in a large way.

grower tilt: germinated 3 beans producing 3 kal x ladies (3 seperate phenos). flower time ran 9 weeks (59-70 days), however, the hash plant pheno had to be cut at day 59 due to forming banana clusters. yield totaled 3 ounces for the afghan pheno, 2 ounces for the mixed pheno and 1.5 ounces for the hash plant pheno.

Last edited:

THC4SIM

NiceOne DrJay, very good idea this thread ;)
very helpfull, i think im gunna have to do some Lifesaver next...

THC4SIM

DrJay2001

now at peace
Nice Zepplinhood! Especially that last bud shot. So, what is KAL? it kind of looks Afghani. Where can you get seeds or clones?

That's great that the KAL helps stop nausea and helps appetite and sleep. How does it do for pain? Is it fruity?

Thanx for the report!

Yours,
Dr. jay

DrJay2001

now at peace
Train Wreck

Train Wreck

Of all the strains called "medical" there is, in my mind, no better nor stronger strain than Train Wreck.

Train Wreck is an old hybrid (1970's) from Humbodlt of lowland Thai, Mexican Sativa, and a very solid and potent Afghani.

Train Wreck (TW) is particularly good for the treatment of migraine, pain, and nausea.

While TW is thought to be a Sativa dominant (and looks like it) it's actually got quite a bit of Afghan in it making this an extremely potent hybrid. I'm guessing our TW is probably a 65/35 Sativa/Indica.

There are a few true TW seeds around but don't expect to find them. If you did you'd be real surprised that this 42 flower strain from clone is 9 months when grown from seed. This is because in Train Wreck the gene that controls flowering is time from germination.

Here's a Wreck in veg.

798TW8-med.JPG

You can see that Wreck is almost vine like with fine Sativa like leaves. Resin production begins almost immediately in flower and can cover the entire plant in frost.

798Train_Wreck_36_days-med.JPG

One of the striking things about Wreck is the color. It's not really green at all. Here's some of my popcorn nuggies taken from a small plant at day 42.
798Train_Wreck_1-med.JPG

Train Wreck is an excellent strain for SCROG. Here's some Humboldt Wreck harvested at 42 days following an indoor Odro grow.
798Humboldt_Trainwreck1-med.jpg

Some caution about Train Wreck....This strain is a creeper, especially when fresh. You take one toke and it takes a good 5 minutes before you find yourself toasted. Some make the mistake of toking while they're waiting for that first toke and find themselves truly stoned. Heck, my wife smoked Wreck by mistake and got lost in the pool :)

Cured for 3-4 weeks, TW loses some of the "creeper" quality and becomes rock hard nuggies that are stronger than most hash.

Finally, the taste is of a mentholated dead whale dipped in lemon gasoline.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

DrJay2001

now at peace
"Finally, the taste is of a mentholated dead whale dipped in lemon gasoline."

LOL, no I never said TW was fruity. If you like fruity go for Lifesaver, Cali-O, or Blueberry.

No, Wreck is like the original Diesel with a strong wiff of menthol and a hint of lemons. TW is one of the few strains you can identify by taste alone.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

DrJay2001

now at peace
LOL, I was asking? Heh, heh, must have been the Wreck I tried this morning :)

I think your report on the Kal X is important. We need to know what doesn't work as much as what does. It's like the Skunk/
Afghani we just tried. It was nice pot but no ham sandwich when it came to cramps or pain.

The same is true for Sweet Kush for me. We grow great Kush that provides a helluva buzz but little medical relief other than distraction.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

another nice report DR Jay I have never gotten a TW clone but i have two crosses growing from seed apollo 11 x trainwreck and aloha white widdow x trainwreck. With these crosses will i have to wait anywhere close to 9 months for harvest? I also thought they did not have any trainwreck seed unless its a feminized version? Anyways they look very nice must be a good medical relief. Would be nice to try one day.
zeppelindood its good to see your report on Kal -x its helpful as i thought this was going to be something i wanted to run. well at least the citral was good. I really enjoyed that smoke when i had it. Peace

DrJay2001

now at peace
Just a note on flowering. My understand is that three sets of genes control flowering. Two are related to photo period and one to time from germination.

When Train Wreck is crossed and seeds produced flowering comes back under control of the photoperiod genes. There are TW beans but only those willing to grow them out for many months to find a good Mom are going to very interested in them.

I think a Train Wreck/Widow cross sounds awesome. Please let us know how that comes out.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

That was comforting thought i would have to wait 9 months.lol I will keep you updated but there nothing exciting yet the plant is in veg, but very healthy and vigorous. Peace homegrown

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
i just thought of this but northern lights 5 x shiva is a good toke for depression and or anxiety. i would recommend it highly.:D

billk6969

Bahia Black Head for medical purposes

Bahia Black Head for medical purposes

Hello all. My first try at Bahia black head from KC Brains was an amazing success! This strain is great for ansomnia and chronic back pain. Giving you a heavy body buz, with just 2 hits you will be medicated for hours.

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

Keep smokin,

B

Last edited:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Great Pics :D That should come with a warning label

Im glad you had better experience with KC Brains than i did, (i.e. bad germ coupled with high hermi rates) Im kicking my self now for not choosing to grow Bahia Black.

bartender187

i agree the trainwreck is a very powerful med strain. I ended picking up a bag from a friend. Very reliable source. The nugs are very hard and covered in crystals. The smoke was great everyone who tried was convinced it was one of the best they have ever smoked. After every hit was followed by someone coffing. This bud Rocks!!! i passed some on to two members and maybe they will coment on the high. here are some pics...

1541trainwreck_4-med.JPG

billk6969

Nice buds homegrownsweets. This stuff does expand in the lungs, but I wonder what cure your source uses. I have had the bahia in mason jars and now when I smoke it, no caugh, no choke, just smooth and Big HIGH!

Enjoy this strain, I plan to keep it in my grow for a long time to come. I even like this better than white widow!

Keep smokin,

B