What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does Prop 64 Mean I Can Score Weed Legally ?

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Can someone please help cut through all the legal jargon, and explain in simple layman's terms whether it is now legal to walk into any bud dispensary in California, and score some weed for recreational use ?

If the passage of Prop 64 means that recreational weed use is now legal in California with IMMEDIATE effect, how do I score my bud safely and legally, without having to look over my shoulder as in the past ?

Also, is it now legal to have some weed in the car with me on California roads, PROVIDED that I am not toking in the car ?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Hello Swamp T,

Check this useful guide to auma on norml:

http://www.canorml.org/Cal_NORML_Guide_to_AUMA

"DRIVING WITH MARIJUANA: Sec. 11362.1 states that it is lawful for adults to transport one ounce of marijuana for personal use. This provision is intended to override an existing law (VC 23222(b)) that makes it a $100 infracction to drive in possession of marijuana. It is possible that some law enforcement officers might wrongly try to issue citations for VC 23222(b) after Prop 64 passes, but such charges should be dismissable in court."

" for adults 21 or over to possess, process, transport, obtain, or give away to other adults no more than one ounce (28.5 grams) of marijuana (AUMA Sec. 11362.1)."

So 1 ounce to transport and 1 ounce to obtain (bought or gifted)

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anyone know when legal weed stores will be operational in California? I'm taking a little break from growing, so it would be nice to be able to buy it legally without a medical card. I'm not as motivated to renew my medical card as I used to be.

M

mGeRxOiWcEaRn

Does anyone know when legal weed stores will be operational in California? I'm taking a little break from growing, so it would be nice to be able to buy it legally without a medical card. I'm not as motivated to renew my medical card as I used to be.

Who knows, but licensing and all that is supposed to be sorted by 2018. So I would say sometime in 2018.

In the meantime ans since Nov. 9 2016 you are allowed to grow 6 plants in your home and you are also allowed to gift up to an oz. So make friends with people growing.:biggrin:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who knows, but licensing and all that is supposed to be sorted by 2018. So I would say sometime in 2018.

In the meantime ans since Nov. 9 2016 you are allowed to grow 6 plants in your home and you are also allowed to gift up to an oz. So make friends with people growing.:biggrin:

You sure about the gifting thing? I would anyways but better to be legal.

P-NUT

Veteran
So does this mean if I go to emerald cup I can get in the smoking area without a med card?

O

Oakhills

The law went into effect Nov. 9, but rec. retail locations won't open until 2018.

One can give away or obtain one ounce in CA. I'd think that one could buy a nice container for $180 that would hold and ounce of fire nuggets (which are free)..

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One can give away or obtain one ounce in CA. I'd think that one could buy a nice container for $180 that would hold and ounce of fire nuggets (which are free)..

^^^THIS!^^^
Is the work around that was popular when CO went rec legit.
You'd find vendors thst would charge $10 for a snickers bar, with a bud attached somehow, at the various events.
Concentrates would be placed in a $30-$50 silicone container.

Use your imagination and loop holes are easily created.

meadowmax

Prop 64: most of the changes are yet to come

Prop 64: most of the changes are yet to come

Anyone 21 and over can legally possess an ounce in California as of November 9, 2016.

You can even carry it in the car. The smell of cannabis is no longer probable cause for a search.

HOWEVER:
- don’t have more than one ounce visible (better if none visible);
- if you are “obviously” under the influence (very subjective, favors police) you may get busted.
- “open container” is still illegal, though poorly defined. Does this mean if I break the seal on a quarter ounce bag I can’t have it in the car? How about a half smoked joint in the ash tray from a day or two ago?

Gifts: yes, you can legally give up to an ounce of cannabis to adults 21 and over. Merry Christmas!

- Keep in mind that while limited possession is legal, you can still get a ticket/fine for smoking in public.

Probably will see lots of gifts over the next year, but come 2018 commercial operators like dispensaries will not be able to give out gifts any more (no first time shwaggy pre-roll?!? Maybe I should be thankful).

The $200 jar/container idea with a free ounce sounds nice, but I don’t think it would hold up in court if you get caught, unfortunately.

The easiest solution until licenses for recreational sales are issued in 2018 is to get a doctor's rec, which you can still do pretty easily. We built a telemedicine platform so you can get one from home on your computer :D Better to be careful now with the lack of clarity, no one wants to be the last person to get locked up for a plant. The rules are complicated and I don't expect ambiguity to work in our favor much.

One bug in the bill the tax man found: If you get a state-issued card (or MMIC, through your county Department of Public Health, costs ≤$100) you don't have to pay state and local sales tax (so that will probably save you around 8.5% or more depending on your local rate). If you spend $150 or more a month, probably worth getting one. On January 1, 2018, the new 15% excise tax comes into effect (for all rec and med sales).

This has been one complicated mess, but hopefully we are adding momentum to the (inter)national legalization trend. Just let us grow, sell and enjoy our weed in peace!

A chart showing some of the changes:
Prop64chart.png

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
It means...

It means...

You sure about the gifting thing? I would anyways but better to be legal.

Come over to my house and we'll smoke a joint and I'll give you some for the road...

I'll be gifting some 1/8ths for Christmas. Making X-Mas cookies today.

I did the same thing last year :party: Now it's legal, Rock On

Latest posts

Latest posts