What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Future of Legal Cannabis vs. The New Federal Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A lot of younger repubs or 'conservatives' do not favor making drug use a crime. The oldest are dying out. That is how 64 got passed. McClintock was in favor or legalization, his county is a big producer of pot.

This is correct. One of the reasons my town still has dispensaries is the fact that our republican heavy city council and mayor were willing to work with us after strong endorsement from one of the republican council men, that views anti pot laws as non conservative. The negotiations eventually led to a fairly happy middle ground. The thing that seemed to really make the republican council receptive was making them meet the patients face to face. It's really hard to tell a dying person or a kid with epilepsy that their medicine is immoral. Especially when they live in the same small town, and you have to see them regularly. Considering that the mayors term was over, he didn't have to negotiate on anything really, but he did when he saw those kids. It sucks to have to make sick children a bargaining chip, but that's what works.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
A lot of younger repubs or 'conservatives' do not favor making drug use a crime. The oldest are dying out. That is how 64 got passed. McClintock was in favor or legalization, his county is a big producer of pot.

Republicans like state control & money. young people like pot. young Republicans like weed, money, and for states rights to overshadow the feds. this combination WILL swing the GOP around to where they HAVE to favor states regulating weed instead of following the feds lead. otherwise, their hypocrisy will kill the party. because basically, the feds have not LED anything; all they can do is say "no". FUCK THE FEDS!:woohoo:

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
And the government that has been in control for the past 8 years certainly was not a "conservative government"--rather it has been mostly "divided" after a short period being "progressive".

There was a 2 year period at the beginning of Obama's first term where dems controlled 2 of the 3 branches of US Government and look what happened: Things that should have been signed into law were never discussed...and shit that became law resulted in more "unintended consequences" than advertised.

As long as I can remember the sun has risen in the east, no matter who was in charge in Washington DC, every day it rose. The tide always ebbed and flowed, and it always got colder around Christmas than on July 4th.

What this old fucker is suggesting--we will continue to do what we do...and the idiots in Washington (both dems & reps) will continue do what they do, to think otherwise is rather "utopian".

IMO, the most important "skill set" is having the ability to discover "work arounds" that overcome "new and improved" mousetraps our Fed/State/Local governments create. If you think of laws and regulations as "mousetraps" that designed to only catch "most but not all", thus allowing the smarter/stronger to either escape or avoid the trap altogether.

Some people describe the "work arounds" as: loopholes, strategic planning, insurance, smoke & mirrors, figuring a way out before getting boxed in, etc--but I think you get the idea.

An attorney client once told me--almost every contract he has seen has a "secret escape hatch", but not everyone can find it. Why? He said, "because lawyers are not perfect and the law is even less perfect". Don't think "black & white" but "shades of grey".

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for sharing your wisdom doc. The point that we are still in a grey area is huge.

DocTim420

Thanks man, I'm just an old fucker that has been around the block a few times...having seen various versions of this "movie"...it seems that all versions (silent, B&W, widescreen technicolor, and even the HD with 7.1 sound version) have the same ending. Different twists in the plots, but always the same ending. Hyperbole and hysteria emotions replace logical thinking.

Grey area, such a crazy idea but rather accurate in our legal system. If we knew how many "shades of grey" there was, then there would be certainty or ability to predict each and every outcome.

But when there are "infinite" number of outcomes (shades of grey) and one might suggest that "art" kinda trumps "science". Example: in a bench trial, professionals can usually predict how a particular judge might rule (based on facts & the law--kinda like science), but when you bring in 12 "citizens" to render judgement (jury trial)--anything can happen including the "wrong outcome" (perception matters but facts don't--kinda like art).

That is probably why "artist" and "scientists" have very heated philosophical debates--each are schooled in completely different disciplines (left brain/right brain thing).

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Thanks for sharing your wisdom doc. The point that we are still in a grey area is huge.

Y'know, Amsterdam and the Netherlands kind of live in a gray area. Cannabis is not actually legal in Amsterdam, it's tolerated. So as long as you go about your business, you can possess cannabis and smoke it openly. But if you become an asshole, they can and will arrest your ass.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Y'know, Amsterdam and the Netherlands kind of live in a gray area. Cannabis is not actually legal in Amsterdam, it's tolerated. So as long as you go about your business, you can possess cannabis and smoke it openly. But if you become an asshole, they can and will arrest your ass.

That's how it is in many places in California too pretty much. If you are not violent and and are a contributing member of the community they will leave you be; but if you are violent, gang related, or steal electricity they will bust you.

PDX Dopesmoker

I continue to think that we have absolutely no idea what Trump will actually do as president. Nothing he says adds up. He is the wild card of all wild cards. I suspect that he will allow the right wing republicans he appoints to run the government while he continues to shoot off his mouth and pose for photo ops. So Sessions is a grave danger.

Right there is why, unfortunately, there is no reason to speculate about what might happen. Its futile at this point, which is too bad because its interesting. Trump is a vapid, shallow, uneducated rich kid & his main concern seems to be criticizing SNL on Twitter and generally maintaining his public image. So whomever is able to gain influence over Trump will be setting policy & nobody has any idea who that will be yet. They could still dig up Dick Cheney, its a pretty similar scenario.
It is worth worrying about though, that dumb but lovable rich kid game they pulled with Bush Jr worked out pretty well for them. People's displeasure at the administration during the Bush Jr. years was tempered by the fact that everyone knew he was too dumb and lazy to be directly responsible and as a result the administration insiders were able to get away with a lot more than they would have otherwise.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't really have anything positive to say about dick Cheney or his former cabinet cronies...not since I met him in '91(he was actually good as sec def back then...when morals and common sense still mattered a little...and they still played by James Baker's book)...but at least he and his had experience at doing what they were doing..some of these folks are downright scary...

iBogart

Veteran
Absolutely nothing is going to happen federally for at least 4 years. Even if all of you are right and Trump or his AG is the big bad cannabis boogeyman you're hyping him up to be, he ain't gonna risk his second term by going against what the people have clearly said they want. It would be political suicide.

Trump is seventy years old. Rich as fuck. You think he cares about "political suicide". If you voted for Trump, you have no clue who you voted for. The motherfucker hasn't laid down his cards yet. How's your poker face holding up?

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hmmmm...another interesting prediction...we shall see

Can you imagine Trump Nugs™ ? Lmao. They come in little gold plastic wrappers. I'd like to see that actually. That would get a lot of people trying cannabis that otherwise wouldn't have.

X

xavier7995

Bet they will be about as good as snoops leafs or whatever it's called.

I am not terribly optimistic. The far right seems to have his ear and that isn't good for cannabis. Best case is it remains a state issue.

DocTim420

Trump is seventy years old. Rich as fuck. You think he cares about "political suicide". If you voted for Trump, you have no clue who you voted for. The motherfucker hasn't laid down his cards yet. How's your poker face holding up?

Perhaps what Mae West said in the movie Klondike Annie, might be appropriate at this point in our discussion--

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."

Easy7

Veteran
I can see Trump's cards very well. He is saying everything the super so called patriots are into. He's picking dinosaurs from some sort of biblical republican dream. These guys really think everybody is just like them or should be. If you are not like them, then your the enemy. Worst of the worst when it comes to advancing society.

Status
Not open for further replies.