What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dan Hicks

Gry

Dan Hicks passed away on the 6th, following a 2 year ordeal with cancer.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm surprised there was no mention earlier...too many are passing this Life.
Loved his Hot Licks band....had a few of his albums I wore out in college- Last Train To Hicksville and Where's The Money?
Very talented fellow. RIP.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I was in San Diego years back and went to this very low key obscure bar (a quonset hut) and low and behold Dan was doing a solo gig. Blew me away and we had a great time. At the time I only remembered him from his days with the Hot Licks band. RIP.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I saw him twice in the last 10 yrs, knowing each time could well be his last tour.
He was a great, droll entertainer and any of his live discs are well worth the buy.
Hell, he even posed for a pic with my wife after the show.
R.I.P., Dan

Lochinvar

Dammit! one of my faves. hot southwestern swing-jazz! i saw this guy with the original charlatans way back for their 40th an. also in sacramento a few years later. RIP. is commander cody still kickin'?

mayorofthdesert

Dammit! one of my faves. hot southwestern swing-jazz! i saw this guy with the original charlatans way back for their 40th an. also in sacramento a few years later. RIP. is commander cody still kickin'?

Is there a connection? Whenever I think about either the hot licks or the lost planet airmen the other group always pops into my mind too. Maybe I associate them since both were played a lot when I was a kid but I'm guessing they had a musician or two in common? I could google, but conversation is cool.

Anyhow, R.I.P. & thanks for the memories.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Loved them both..

Loved them both..

Whenever I think about either the hot licks or the lost planet airmen the other group always pops into my mind too.

Anyhow, R.I.P. & thanks for the memories.

Last saw Dan Hick at the Canyon Club (Agoura, CA) a few years back. I also saw him close up at the Hollywood Brown Derby right before they tore it down.

I have all of his albums on my iPhone. :party:

P.S. Last saw Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen at the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin, TX in 1972

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I've got a bunch of his albums on CD, I'm a huge fan, a great showman; he always left the audience well entertained, laughing & smiling with his onstage dance antics.

He has so many great cuts that I'd be foolish to try select one as a favorite. he did a lot of campy versions of 'I Scare Myself' and stuff like this scat tune 'I Feel Like Singing' right below :)
[YOUTUBEIF]xZAKPVaWyZ4[/YOUTUBEIF]

and this I Scare Myself @ The Warfield Theater in SF CA Dec. '01

[YOUTUBEIF]ZZXzifzsDHg[/YOUTUBEIF]

R.I.P. Dan.......

Last edited: