What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bill to Legalize and Tax Marijuana Filed in Massachusetts

kakaman

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2015/41568/bill-to-legalize-tax-marijuana-filed-in-massachusetts/

BOSTON, MA — A much anticipated bill to legalize, tax and regulate marijuana has been introduced in Massachusetts, in advance of a likely 2016 ballot measure for voters to decide should the legislature fail.
House Bill 1561, the Cannabis Regulation and Taxation Act of 2016, was introduced on Beacon Hill Tuesday, sponsored by Rep. David Rogers (D-Belmont), Sen. Pat Jehlen (D-Somerville) and a bipartisan group 13 co-sponsors. The bill was filed in January as House Docket 3436, and has now been formally introduced to the legislature for the 2015-16 session.
The bill would make it legal for adults 21 or older to possess, grow and consume limited amounts of marijuana; and would establish a regulated system of licensed marijuana retail stores, cannabis cafés, cultivation facilities, processing facilities, and testing facilities. Retail sales and onsite purchases at cannabis cafés would be taxed, but home grown cannabis would not.
For those under 21, marijuana possession would remain a civil violation, punishable by a fine of $100.
Unlike marijuana legalization laws enacted in other states, the Cannabis Regulation and Taxation Act of 2016 does not impose personal possession limits or restrict the number of plants an adult can grow at home. Instead, personal possession is defined as “the cultivation, storage and delivery of cannabis without intent to sell.” Possessing marijuana outside one’s home, however, is considered “transportation” — and is limited to ten ounces.
The bill also allows for the expungement of prior marijuana convictions from a person’s criminal record.
“Marijuana is less harmful than alcohol to the consumer and to society, and it ought to be treated that way,” said Matt Simon, New England political director for the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP). “There is a mountain of evidence demonstrating marijuana is less addictive than alcohol, less toxic, and less likely to contribute to violent and reckless behavior.”
“Adults shouldn’t be punished for making the safer choice,” Simon says.
If the legislature fails to pass HB 1561 during the 2015-16 legislative session, voters will most likely decide on marijuana legalization in 2016.
“Voters in Massachusetts are ready to end marijuana prohibition,” Simon said. “We hope their elected officials are, too. If the status quo is maintained in the legislature, change will occur at the ballot box.”
At least two proposals are being considered for the 2016 elections — one backed by local grassroots reformers Bay State Repeal, which favors regulating marijuana like produce (similar to a bill filed recently in Texas); and another backed by the Washington, DC-based Marijuana Policy Project, which would likely be similar to measures passed in Alaska and Colorado that tax and regulate marijuana similar to alcohol.
The Marijuana Policy Project was behind the 2008 ballot measure that decriminalized marijuana possession and the 2012 ballot measure that authorized medical marijuana in the state.
House Bill 1561 has been assigned to the Joint Committee on the Judiciary.

LINK TO BILL TEXT

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/House/H1561

I don't know if it allows people to grow for personal use without a license. If you need a license to grow the bill is useless junk and we are back to square one with prohibition because the Mass gov will not license any med dispensaries even though we voted YES on medical!!!

I am not a lawyer so I did not read the bill because legal documents can be worded in very confusing ways like the episode of Seinfeld where he asked Elaine "Wich part did he emphasize? Why would JERRY bring anything? or Why would jerry BRING anything? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0zvGVYva8M

NEGT1

Fingers crossed, would love if MA was the first state to do things properly on the east coast. (btw, MI isn't on the east coast factually speaking but that's another discussion.)

DickAnubis

I think this bill is a fine idea but what impact will Gov. Baker have?
He is in until 2019 unless he's ousted which seems unlikely.
I'm not up on Ma. politics but if the Gov is square set against legislation how do the people get around him?
If MJ is so popular there how did Baker get elected to begin with? Not that entire campaigns swing on a single point.But MJ is big business and revenues would run high is legalization and taxation happened.

It's confusing to me, such a strong movement in favor of legal weed in a state with a gov dead set against it.
Is there something I don't see?

Great post btw, KAKAMAN (gotta love that handle)

DA

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
unlimited home growing would turn that state into the next Cali in terms of supply for the east. they think prices there are low now...

real estate in the western uninhabited portion of the state would skyrocket.

I'm guessing snowball's chance in hell for this one but my fingers are crossed.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Unlimited is the best, if prices fall enough there is no incentive to go to the black market and will really do what legalization is meant to do for people who choose to use use this plant, take away the penalty and take away the illegal element, there will still be a black market of course but it will be no where near what there is currently.

The new Guv is saying that he doesn't support it, but does support ballot initiatives. So, in Munispeak, he is saying that the bill will die, and we are going to have to turn out for the vote, if we want it. He can't come out and say it, as the truth is never spoken out loud and on purpose, in today's world. Especially from those vested in the status quo. So be it. It will still happen. Nice Nugs there ChunkyPigs!

This bill getting through would be a miracle. Most politicians are still very afraid to support medical let alone legalization. IMO, ballot initiatives will be the path successful states go for the foreseeable future.