What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Films/Shading & Sun Hours????

2 Legal Co

Veteran
For those of you who have spent years growing in GH structures.

How much 'shade' can you use before you begin to lose growth? I know some plants like 60/40, in 'normal' GHs.

Any particular Brands of film that stand out? Good or bad.

And of course how many hours of "direct" sun are optimal for growing Sativa Dom Hybrids?

I've muddled my way through so far... semi successfully, but collective data is by far the best.

:woohoo: Getting ready for spring.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Looked at automatic window openers at HF yesterday... they were described as 'gas charged', and handle 5-6#s IIRC.

I thought they were filled with bee's wax? Are these the 'right' ones, or are these too light?

vostok

Veteran
Baby its all in them lumens, as plants never get enough light ..lol
so why shade the plants, just cool 'em down with these window things,
better just to open the for and aft doors

barnyard

yea, heat is a big issue with greenhouses...if you're growing cannabis blast them with as much sun as possible, other plants like wax begonias will melt in the Colorado sun...

2 Legal Co

Veteran
So full sun is the way to go. Good to know, I'd have thought to shade them a bit. thx.

Maybe I'll just take the top off, and leave the 'walls'.

barnyard

topless is an option buy might be hard to shade and you'd have to watch out for hail...a number of years ago I worked at a greenhouse and we had a large swamp cooler that nearly covered one wall that kept the temp down nicely...or you could even have a removable top and take it off during the Summer...I'm always amazed just putting up walls with with no top protects the garden and creates a micro-climate...lots of daily modifications can be made to adjust climate in a greenhouse but, of course, the gardener has to be around to do so...

2 Legal Co

Veteran
topless is an option buy might be hard to shade and you'd have to watch out for hail...a number of years ago I worked at a greenhouse and we had a large swamp cooler that nearly covered one wall that kept the temp down nicely...or you could even have a removable top and take it off during the Summer...I'm always amazed just putting up walls with with no top protects the garden and creates a micro-climate...lots of daily modifications can be made to adjust climate in a greenhouse but, of course, the gardener has to be around to do so...
I'd thought of the 'hail' problem, not sure how to get around that. We did have two hail storms up there this last summer. A friend had a couple of plants outdoor that got pretty well stripped. They did come back and yielded suprisingly well,,, but laate.

A wet wall is definitely an upgrade, but I'm not sure I want to spend it this year.

I'm considering how I can get a light dep curtain in, that's quick and easy to operate.

ANYBODY have a rule of thumb on what size pot to use so the plants will stall at 7'-8'??????
I'm running Hybrids this year again,,, I think. AK47, Bubblegum, White Russian, and maybe a rangy Sativa strain too.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I'm using a King Canopy carport. It has a top but no sides. I'll probably start with the top on since it's Really thin, and plan on taking it off when it warms up in May. That'll give them a chance to 'harden off' as well.

I'm ruminating on how to make the 'walls'. Hate to lose the light, but suppose I should at least make an effort.

While in some rare cases shading plants is desirable, usually the commercial "shade" systems you see in greenhouses are used more for regulation of temperature, not light intensity