What's new

$200 DIY Greenhouse

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
looks good. would this hold up in areas that get alot of snow though??

actually it can... the plans show a 2 inch PVC pipe as a ridge beam, so to speak on top of the entire length of the greenhouse.

the guy who built this originally lives in Canada, i believe. he did have a collapse with a big snowfall, but he modified his plans and added the ridge pipe and has had no further issues...

check your PMs... :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
greenhouse construction still on hold.

107 today, 109 on tues and weds :cry:

GP73LPC

Veteran
well, i got one end framed. still need to attach the wood framing to the pvc pipe up top, but it's basically done.

one mistake i made was not getting 2 8 footers ripped to 1 x 3 x 8'. instead i just added wood on to the end of my 6 footers to extend them.

also just a note, i have the necessary tools to make these cuts so all my 1 x 3's flush up against each other, but i decided gluing and then using wood screws would provide better overall stability...

i had some of this weather proof glue laying around...

picture.php

so i did some of this

picture.php

and some of this

picture.php

and ended up with this...

picture.php

maxmurder

Veteran
nice step x step instructional , thanks for sharing.
that sucks about the heat- sounds miserable...

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks immortal...

one more update today. trimmed up the frame work where it meets the pvc and cable tied the framing to the pvc pipe.

picture.php

picture.php

here is about where the front wall will stand...

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
here's where i am at.

if you look closely in the first pic you will see where i have driven the rebar in the ground. this is what holds the 3 middle ribs of the hoophouse...

the boards on the side are just laying on the ground for determining the outside edges of the greenhouse. the end wall is just temporarily in place. i need to put plastic on that piece...

picture.php

picture.php

bonsai

Lovin' this thread man, thanks for sharing all the finer details.
I've just started planning a greenhouse based on the same design, but with 1.5m "legs" under the end of each 20ft arc'd hoop for a total height of 2.7m (8'9"), 16ft deep and 8ft wide. I'm *hoping* the extra height will help with keeping it cool as we get insane summer temps like you do.

Questions... What are your floorplan dimensions? What are your hoop spacings? Looks like you're doing 3 hoops plus the two ends, over what distance? I was hoping to get away with 2 hoops and the 2 ends to cover 16ft, but I might have to add another support.
Thanks!

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks bonsai...

my dimensions are 16' x 12', hoop spacings at 4'.

GP73LPC

Veteran
i have read it will stand up to 30-35 mph...

it will be put to the test where i live ;)

t33to

i have read it will stand up to 30-35 mph...

it will be put to the test where i live ;)

Please report how it handles the winter :D

What kind of plastic is that? Is that UV resistant? Or just regular 6ml vapor barrier that you would use in the external walls of a house?

I built a Poly tunnel like this last year although with not nearly as much as skills as yours and I really disliked how it worked out. I will be framing one with wood this year that is very big. I want to frame with wood so I can mount fans and what not on the ceilings.

One thing I wanted to say about yours which could be a cool upgrade is: what if instead of rebar you used some kind of large bolts. Insert the bolts through the wooden foundation and then insert the bolts into the pvc tubes. That way it's all connected to itself and then you could move it quite easily, no? Thoughts?

GP73LPC

Veteran
it's just 6 mil plastic, nothing special. won't last in the weather for too long that's for sure...

anyway, the greenhouse does not have a wooden foundation. the wood will be attached to the plastic on the sides.

however, if someone wanted to build one like you suggest your idea would have merit ;)

GP73LPC

Veteran
still hot and sun beaten here :cry:

i was looking over the plans for this hoophouse and realized my rebar and pvc pipe ribs should have been placed at 3 feet and not 4 feet, so this 12' x 16' greenhouse just became a 12' x 12' greenhouse.

still hoping for rain and a break from this summer to continue construction.

GP73LPC

Veteran
well no real rain yet :cry:

temps however have dropped off 20-30 degrees !!! :woohoo:

first off, i went ahead and bought the extra parts of needed to keep the greenhouse 12' x 16'.

so with temps down i decided to add the 6 mil plastic to the one end wall that is framed.

the plastic

picture.php

plastic rolled out and cut to width of end wall

picture.php

i laid the end wall down on the plastic with the inside of the wall facing up. you can see i tacked the plastic along the bottom edge first.

picture.php

a 14 foot wide piece will cover both end walls ;)

picture.php

starting from the top center and working down and out i cut, rolled, stapled and added pleats facing down where needed. facing down to avoid condensation collection.

picture.php

next i cut out a door, leaving about 8 inches of plastic on all sides.

picture.php

i cut diagonally on each corner and rolled/staples

picture.php

i anchored the end wall to the fence posts with rebar(bailing) wire.

picture.php

finished inside wall

picture.php

and the outside finished end wall

picture.php

:wave:

GP73LPC

Veteran
another update...

all hoops in place, roughly 3' 2" apart...

picture.php

i added horizontal ribs (the first two). the next two photos show the joints of those PVC pipes. screwed and wired...

picture.php

picture.php

and the final pic today, two ribs in place and framing beginning on the other end wall..

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
ok, 2nd end wall is framed. i need to put in the fence post, attach the plastic to the wall and attach it to the existing frame.

i hope to get that done today...

picture.php

oh and here i am officially :wave:

picture.php