What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nomaad Presents- Greenhouse:2010

smallfry707

Floramite works great! I never had mite problems after i use it a couple of times. I was curious about your summer grow. Did you have any neighbors? Reason i ask is because im thinking of purchasing a piece of propert and its been cleared cut and doesnt have much trees left on it. its about 25 acres with a house on it and im just worried about neighbors. What is your input? Btw im in northern california and it will be a legal outdoor grow. im just still pretty sketched

nomaad

Veteran
mites are finally on the run. repeated application of azatrol at 1oz/gallonH2O seems to be effective.

smallfry: i have neighbors. besides the one that wants to shoot my dog and the ones who reported our "huge grow" to the sheriff in the early spring, they are pretty cool. your place sounds exposed. i would look into the neighbors. if you are in the rural 707, its likely that some of them grow. if your scene is under control and properly fenced and you're not doing anything that would irk the local law, you should be golden. unless one of a thousand other potential factors comes into play. tweekers, for example. In my area, the only thing we're worried about is high school kids. a couple of pellet guns and a full time presence in the garden is all the security that you need. Only one person I know was ripped... they stopped the guy but chased him off rather than unmasking him.... that grow was located on flat open ground 200 meters from a main highway with no solid fencing around the grow... Just proper fencing and some motion detectors would have kept this garden safe.

is the place on high or low ground? clearcut and on low ground, so that surrounding neighbors can look down on you, sounds bad. too exposed. there is a lot of land for sale. might want to keep looking...

smallfry707

yea the property is in garberville and it was about 500 feet from highway 101. That property was a steal. but its now sold and im looking for something else. Thinking of going North towards Willow Creek area. Friends that do out door told me to stay away from so. Hum. Dont really know his reasoning but thats what he told me. I think he just wants me to move to willow creek so we can be neighbors :whistling:

HOVAH2.0

nomad- do you think febuary has enough sun to produce a good yield?

....im ready to go now, but didnt feel i had enough sun to produce anything hard.

if you go, i might follow u..........

nomaad

Veteran
I wouldn't try to flower anything in feb with nothing but lumens from the sky, but by the end of the month I hope to be vegging with supplemental light in the greenhouse. I have not been here for a full turn of the seasons, so I am kind of playing it by ear.

diamondmine

Nomaad are you running a gh right now? Can't wait to see some more of your hard work and whatever else you run into down the pike.

HOVAH2.0

nomaad- i was gonna some new shit i saw here, but forgot thread name... i gotta stop smoke-n so much, man....
the idea was to start the flowering process indoor ie:
1.start 12/12 indoor for 4 weeks
2. transfer to outdoor for last 6 weeks
the idea is to finish a little faster....and get the outdoor yeild...
shit, ive already started 14 in flower room 10 days, i guess ill throw em back to veg for another month or so......hope they dont herm on me....maybe theyll yeild little better...

did i say, im a little stupid? and i cant sleep?

nomaad

Veteran
Nomaad are you running a gh right now? Can't wait to see some more of your hard work and whatever else you run into down the pike.

No, just vegging moms and starting a clone army in the garage for now. I am hoping to order my GH kit before the end of January and have it built before the end of February. I will then use supplemental light to continue the veg in the GH until there is enough sun to flower (with supplemental light/light dep to adjust photoperiod as needed)...

With the recent publication of the State Supreme Court's decision upholding the Kelley decision, I am seriously considering doing a sea of green in the GH vs 6 trees per script.

nomaad

Veteran
nomaad- i was gonna some new shit i saw here, but forgot thread name... i gotta stop smoke-n so much, man....
the idea was to start the flowering process indoor ie:
1.start 12/12 indoor for 4 weeks
2. transfer to outdoor for last 6 weeks
the idea is to finish a little faster....and get the outdoor yeild...
shit, ive already started 14 in flower room 10 days, i guess ill throw em back to veg for another month or so......hope they dont herm on me....maybe theyll yeild little better...

did i say, im a little stupid? and i cant sleep?

i'd be interested to see that thread.

nomaad

Veteran
SO... I am hoping to order my GH kit on monday or tuesday. I expect about 14 days of delivery lag and then there will be an intensive 2 weeks of building- hopefully not more. I will prepare the site in the meantime.

Right now I am torn between a couple of different GH paradigms.

#1: The Clearspan Gothic 24' wide x 48' long is my local option. Its not manufactured locally, but the price above wholesale will go to a local business. I like to spend locally for obvious reasons. The standard height of this GH is 12 feet, but I would drop the sidewalls and bring it down to 9 feet high so that pulling the light dep tarps is not a nightmare. Cost for a 24x48 is about $5500 not including the local delivery. That price is for the GH frame and woven poly cover, end covers and, i believe, a door. The structure is made from "Allied Gatorshield" galvanized steal tubing.

wide_angle.jpg

#2: The next option is a 20x48 Conley's Cold Frame Package from the Greenhouse Megastore dot com. The main benefits to this is that it is only 8.5' tall in its standard configuration and that for $6500 (plus Free shipping to my location), it comes with EVERYTHING I will need to run the thing, including:

complete frame with corrugated polycarbonate covering on the endwalls and double-layer poly film covering for the roof and sidewalls, (1) Inflator fan with mounting bracket and 3' hose, Complete Aluminum Tube Lock fastening system for poly covering, (1) 3' x 6'-8" storm door, (2) Exhaust Fans, (3) Motorized Inlet Shutters, (1) Heating Thermostat, (1) 2 Stage Cooling Stat, (1) Modine HD100 High Efficiency Gas Unit Heater (Natural Gas or Propane), complete assembly instructions, and an electrical wiring diagram showing details of all equipment connections.

The rollformed framing on this makes me think that it may be less friendly to being disassembled and relocated, a future possibility that I would like to remain mindful of.

ColdFrame-pckg-dd.jpg

#3: The third, and most recent option was inspired by another GH thread here... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=153417

A poster mentioned a GH made by harbor freight. In my experience, harbor freight is all about inexpensive tools that are no frills and get the job done... cheap and now. So I looked at em... I was momentarily disappointed to see that the largest model is a 10x12 for 800$.

93358.gif

I looked at this thing and immediately imagine 5 or more of them, side by side... each on its own schedule... the first one could be up in a week or 10 days and, after the learning curve, the following iterations could be carried out in half that time. Each house is a script... I could Have 6 very decent sized plants in each... or a sea of green with up to 25 plants (what my doc's rec says)...depending on how I choose to interpret the recent SSC decision on Kelley.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the best growers can yield up to a pound per square meter (10 of those in each of these GH's)... Let's say I can hit 5 on each at first...

I have space for 8 or 10 of these. The possibilities it presents for experiments and specially strain-tailored growing environments... scaled growth over a timeline. ease of getting them up and running with a small crew. I can also quit after two and go for one of the other solutions...

The more I consider it, the more I like the idea. Does anybody else have experience with these small GH's? Anything else of this scale at a similar price point out there? With Harbor Freight, I worry about their longevity...

Anyhow... I am most likely pulling the trigger on one of the above choices within the next 7 days. Any critical wisdom would be appreciated.

nomaad

Veteran
I'd really like to get my hands on a built-out Harbor Freight GH... I know its going to be flimsy, but I'd really like to know how flimsy...

nomaad

Veteran
Doing my homework, I found the following 7 part 3rd party guide to building and enhancing the Harbor Freight 10x12: http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/m/oldmudhouse/

Part One, The Harbor Freight 10'x12' Greenhouse, Basic Info
Part Two, Our Greenhouse Foundation
Part Three, Assembling the Greenhouse Walls
Part Four, Assembling the Roof, Vents, and Doors
Part Five, Modifying the Greenhouse Frame for Strength
Part Six, Adding the Panels
Part Seven, Greenhouse Enhancements

It provides quite a bit of information, advice, photos, etc. Good resource for anybody interested in this model GH.

H

Huey69

Hey nomadd,
Thought I'd chime in..my dad recently purchased one of the smaller harbor-frieght greenhouses. It's pretty strong, we're able to lift it up by the top bar and move it. Although the parts don't always fit together quite right (i.e the windows are difficult to get closed). Its not anything great, but it'll get the job done. Unfortunately I can't compare it to any other greenhouse. Hope this helps some..

B

Brain

I'd get the bigger local one. It looks familiar. :) Have you thought of building a hoop house inside the gh and then just covering that? Creates insulation for the cold days early and be easier to manage the tarp. What sort of fans will you be installing on the gh? Do you want the gh just for dep or for full season as well? They can get super hot in the summer but protect the buds from the elements. Looking forward to following your journey. I am on a similar one myself but the gh is already built.

nomaad

Veteran
Thanks for the input, Huey. Seems like those HFGHs are loved for their low price and even serious gardeners have found a way to modify, reinforce and make em work. I am a little wary, though... the doors roll on tracks and cheap aluminum gets easily deformed... how do you think those doors are going to slide in a a year or two... I can already feel that scratchy metal on metal, nails on the chalk-board feeling every time i try to open the door.

Brain: I have considered an internal frame for light dep rather than pulling the tarp over the top... I just have not visualized a system that i am comfortable with. I plan on using the breathable light dep fabric from forever flowering... Last year, the main problem in my light dep was humidity... I ran into some Botryitis (in one straiun I will not be running in the future), a tiny bit of PM (on another strain i have dumped.) Regardless of the fact that the acute problems will probably disappear with the strains, the humidity could not have been good for the development of the other strains.

I do have a cool idea for an automatic tarp pulling system, but it involves having parts manufactured, and i don't have the resources for that at the moment, though its something I'd really like to develop for the following year. $50K is the current going price for a 20x20 light dep structure... I have envisioned a system that could light dep an existing 20x20 greenhouse for 5 or 6K... I'm actually looking for a person with product development experience to collaborate with on this project and others... anybody out there?

To answer your question, My plans for the greenhouse are as follows;

1: Have it built by the end of Feb
2: March-April, flower a huge sea of green with supplemental lighting (t5's). I am currently cloning and vegging for this project.
3: Mid May: light dep goes in... veg for 2-3 weeks. Down by the end of July.
4: As soon as the dep is down, move in a crop of late finishers (Collins Cough and Nevilles Haze (if I can get a cut from my mate in El Honduragua) that have been vegging outside throughout July... Finish them by x-mas.
5: Use the Gh to clone and veg all winter long, getting ready for the next run starting in March.

The reason that the local Clearspan Gothic (#1) at $5500 appeals to me the least is because I am going to need proper ventilation for the space to be viable in the summer. The Conley's package comes with all the fans, motorized inlet shutters, etc for proper ventilation... I am pretty sure that I could get the fans I need for the difference in price, but not the heating system as well, which I will want to have in place the following winter.

For the record, I intend to handle my full season outdoor almost exactly as I did last season... I am going to move a couple of the 200 gallon smartpots into better position and add 6-12 additional 100gallon containers. I will probably run Blue Dream and Clueberry in most of the OD containers and leave anything that finishes later than them for the July Greenhouse run.

B

bobdobalina420

Nomaad, sounds like you have everything locked down!! I can't wait to follow your grow again this year!!!!!!!!!!

H

Huey69

The door is definitely not the smoothest. If I recall correctly, my dad had to use some grease on it for it to even slide haha.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Hey Nomaad, nice thread, I'll be keeping tuned. It's nice to see you around!

ROOTWISE

Veteran
Just trying to help, been there and done that on most of what you are exploring....not trying to be a "know-it-all".....

My 30x40 with 6' roll ups and steel end walls is 5400 delivered....