What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EVERYONE READ THIS!!...BC Recreational Use Regulations

Buddha1

Veteran
☆☆☆Looks like the Despencary's are out Oct. 17, 2018... Distribution will be done by provincial run outlets/stores.
☆☆☆Rec user renters won't be allowed to smoke or grow 4 plants without the landlords permission.

Below are the new regulations for British Columbia that exist at the present time... every Marijuana user should give it a read.

New Regulations:

Cannabis

In preparation for the federal government's legalization of non-medical cannabis on*October 17, 2018, B.C. has made a number of decisions about what our provincial regulatory framework will look like.

Visit regularly for updates on B.C.’s approach to non-medical cannabis laws and regulations, and to find further information on the status of the legalization of cannabis in Canada.

B.C. establishes legislative framework for the legalization of non-medical cannabis

With public health and safety top of mind, the Province has now passed legislation to provide for legal, controlled access to non-medical cannabis in British Columbia. The legislation and the consequential legislative amendments will ensure a regulatory framework is in place in time for federal legalization of non-medical cannabis. The following regulatory decisions are included in the legislation and amendments:

Cannabis Control and Licensing Act (CCLA)

The Cannabis Control and Licensing Act is guided by the Province’s priorities of protecting children and youth, promoting health and safety, keeping the criminal element out of cannabis, keeping B.C. roads safe, and supporting economic development.

The Act:

•Sets 19 as the provincial minimum age to purchase sell or consume cannabis.

•Allows adults to possess up to 30 grams of cannabis in a public place.

•Prohibits cannabis smoking and vaping everywhere tobacco smoking and vaping are prohibited, as well as at playgrounds, sports fields, skate parks, and other places where children commonly gather.

•Prohibits the use of cannabis on school properties and in vehicles.

•Authorizes adults to grow up to four cannabis plants per household, but the plants must not be visible from public spaces off the property, and home cultivation will be banned in homes used as day-cares.

•Establishes a cannabis retail licensing regime similar to the current licensing regime for liquor.

•Provides enforcement authority to deal with illegal sales.

•Creates a number of provincial cannabis offences which may result in a fine ranging from $2,000 to $100,000, imprisonment of three to 12 months, or both.

and

•Where necessary, to comply with Charter Rights and human rights law, exemptions will provide to individuals who are federally authorized to purchase, possess and consume medical cannabis.

The CCLA also includes consequential amendments to various statutes, including:

Liquor Control and Licensing Act to ensure administrative consistency between that Act and the CCLA.

•Residential Tenancy Act and Manufactured Home Park Tenancy Act to prohibit cannabis smoking under existing leases that prohibit smoking tobacco and to prohibit the personal cultivation of cannabis under existing leases, except for federally authorized medical cannabis. For new leases, the existing provisions of each Act that allow landlords and tenants to negotiate the terms of leases will apply.

•Police Act to set provincial priorities for policing and require municipal police boards to take provincial priorities and the priorities of the municipal council into account as they develop their own priorities.

•Community Safety Act to reflect that with legalization cannabis will no longer be a controlled substance under the federal Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

•Provincial Sales Tax Act to add a reference to cannabis in the definition of “small seller” consistent with liquor; andBusiness Practices and Consumer Protection Act to recognize that the CCLA is a complete licensing scheme.Cannabis Distribution Act (CDA)

•As previously announced, the Province has decided that the Liquor Distribution Branch will be the wholesale distributor of non-medical cannabis in B.C. and will run provincial cannabis retail stores.

The Cannabis Distribution Act establishes:

•A public wholesale distribution monopoly.

•Public (government-run) retail sales, both in stores and online.Motor Vehicle Act amendments

•B.C. will increase training for law enforcement and has toughened provincial regulations by amending the*Motor Vehicle Act*to give police more tools to remove drug-impaired drivers from the road and deter drug-affected driving, including:

•A new 90-day Administrative Driving Prohibition (ADP) for any driver whom police reasonably believe operated a motor vehicle while affected by a drug or by a combination of a drug and alcohol, based on analysis of a bodily substance or an evaluation by a specially trained police drug recognition expert (DRE).

•New drivers in the Graduated Licensing Program (GLP) will be subject to a zero-tolerance restriction for the presence of THC (the psycho active ingredient in cannabis).

Liquor Control and Licensing Branch

•The Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB) will be responsible for licensing non-medical cannabis private stores and monitoring the non-medical cannabis retail sector.

Visit*LCLB’s non-medical cannabis retail licence page*for information about becoming a non-medical medical cannabis retailer in B.C., as well as information updates.Liquor Distribution Branch Updates

The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) will be B.C.’s wholesale distributor of non-medical cannabis.* Visit*LDB's cannabis updates page*for further information.

Peace...B

Buddha1

Veteran
Sorry folks...I misread the regs on private distribution of Recreational Marijuana.

Despencary's will be allowed to continue disrupting as long as they adhere to the necessary regulations and purchase there wholesale supply from the provincial government... which the province will maintain and control a Non-Medical Cannabis monopoly.

Peace...B

HiFiGanja

Sorry folks...I misread the regs on private distribution of Recreational Marijuana.

Despencary's will be allowed to continue disrupting as long as they adhere to the necessary regulations and purchase there wholesale supply from the provincial government... which the province will maintain and control a Non-Medical Cannabis monopoly.

Peace...B

Dispensaries will be allowed to apply but as of Oct 17 they can't operate and no grandfathering in like they want which is a good thing. Any dispensary smart enough would cease operations before Oct 17 and start the application process. I'd imagine selling weed after 17th you're either going to be raided or fuck up your chance to get the provincial license.

Buddha1

Veteran
Dispensaries will be allowed to apply but as of Oct 17 they can't operate and no grandfathering in like they want which is a good thing. Any dispensary smart enough would cease operations before Oct 17 and start the application process. I'd imagine selling weed after 17th you're either going to be raided or fuck up your chance to get the provincial license.

Peace...B

Apoligies HiFi...yes, of course you are apsolutely correct...I just assumed this was implied...:tiphat:

As the saying goes...Never assume...Or you make an "Ass" out of "U" and "Me".... lol.

If a Despencary meets all the regulatory requirements and is graced/granted a permit from provincial government and a business licence from the municipality it resides in or plans to open a new shop in(both are required or its an apsolute no go)...Then and only then will it be legally allowed/able to distribute Recreational MJ in British Columbia after Oct. 17, 2018.

Peace...B

Rider420

☆☆☆Rec user renters won't be allowed to smoke or grow 4 plants without the landlords permission.
Peace...B

Expect to see this law challanged in court. Landlords must prove that smoking, vaping or growing four plants is harmful.

Unlike tobacco no one has ever died from cannabis use or from just touching the plant. Never mind second hand smoke.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...acco-product-labelling/smoking-mortality.html

Smoking and Mortality. Smoking is the most important cause of premature death in Canada. Read more about premature death... Each year, there are more than 230,000 deaths in Canada. Research has shown that, in 2002, about 17% of deaths were due to smoking (20% in males and 12% in females).

https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/farmworkers-target-rj...

Tobacco workers are especially at risk because of continual contact with nicotine, which compounds the risk of heat stroke by raising body temperature considerably. A lack of health benefits or workers' compensation makes these conditions more dangerous, and NFM statistics show that field workers are more susceptible to heat stress, skin …

Just like the rules in Manatoba against growing cannabis the rules against using cannabis and growing in apartments will be quickly overturned. Because laywers like Kirk Tousaw are being hired by LPs that are more then willing to pay to fight restritive cannabis laws, so they can increase thier profits.

Buddha1

Veteran
Expect to see this law challanged in court. Landlords must prove that smoking, vaping or growing four plants is harmful.

Unlike tobacco no one has ever died from cannabis use or from just touching the plant. Never mind second hand smoke.

Just like the rules in Manatoba against growing cannabis the rules against using cannabis and growing in apartments will be quickly overturned. Because laywers like Kirk Tousaw are being hired by LPs that are more then willing to pay to fight restritive cannabis laws, so they can increase thier profits.

IMHO...I really don't think the non- smoking and non- growing rule has anything to do with it being dangerous to health and that it ever could be consitutionally challenged...Property owners have rights too.

More the reason is because unfortunately(In BC at least)...Back in the days when a person could rent a house and light the basement up with a 20-40 lamp grow and not have to worry about the landlord showing up for any reason... ever.
There were more than a few growers that just tore through the rental... running electrical, exhaust and supply air, they would rip a wall or 2 down to expand a room, chop holes in floors and ceilings... whatever it took to make the grow work.
Then once they were finished with the house, pull a midnight move and leave the mess for the owner to fix and pay for, just so it could be rented again.

Once all the land lords started bitching to the city/government... laws were change so the owner could inspect and evict before to much damage happened.
These grow-op precautions have morphed, now 20 years later, into the contracts that are a condition of renting any property...no smoking of any kind(mainly because of insurance cost, also because of potential damage and smell), no pets etc., some don't allow kids...along with a merriot of other conditions that a landlord wishes to impose for protection of the rental property and liability for themselves.

So IMO...this will never change, might even get stricter...there are a lot of bad renters out there.
Even stupid or ignorant people that would put dirt right on the floor of the rental house, just to grow a few plants.

I have personally witnessed the dirt on the floor thing...sad to say, more than once.

Peace...B

Last edited:

Rider420

IMHO...I really don't think the non- smoking and non- growing rule has anything to do with it being dangerous to health and that it ever could be consitutionally challenged...Property owners have rights too.

Peace...B

LOL any medical user can grow and smoke anywhere in Canada regardless of any property owners rights. Its up to property owners to prove that legal cannabis use or growing damages the value of the home when this issue gets to the courts.

Remember all you need to grow five plants anywhere in Canada is a medical prescription, and that is getting easier to get all the time.

:huggg:

Last edited:

Rider420

IMHO
I have personally witnessed the dirt on the floor thing...sad to say, more than once.

Peace...B

If people are really putting dirt on the floors to grow four plants then they are fucking morons. And should be put away for eveyones safty Enough said.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So let me get this straight... ALL recreational cannabis in Canada is going to be provided by the govt??

Govt supplied anything has historically been awful to downright criminal. There will be tons of money to be made selling information and equipment to people who want to grow 'acceptable' quality cannabis.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Define tons.

The majority of new growers will buy equipment from nurseries and box stores.

There will be a bubble of activity that will die down within 24 monthes as consumers realize what a pain in the ass involves process growing is. How many grow their own veg? 0.1%?

The provincial government will allow sales through government run businesses and private licensed outlets exactly as alcohol.

G

Gr33nSanta

Define tons.

The majority of new growers will buy equipment from nurseries and box stores.

There will be a bubble of activity that will die down within 24 monthes as consumers realize what a pain in the ass involves process growing is. How many grow their own veg? 0.1%?

The provincial government will allow sales through government run businesses and private licensed outlets exactly as alcohol.
There will be A LOT of mediocre weed on the market pretty soon, price for mids will continue to drop.

It might be a good time to start a consulting company, grow cannabis at home for dummies (like the books....) Or not :)

Easy7

Veteran
I don't believe any legalization anywhere will give a renter the right to grow against the landlord wishes. That is one way the black market will stay strong as well as guerilla growing. Distlling without a permit is illegal in the states. So there is a black market for it. Expect it to be similar with cannabis.

Also there are insurence issues with growing not yet addressed.

Buddha1

Veteran
Applogies in advance for the long windedness of this post... but I had to clarify.

I wasn't trying to piss anyone off with my renters post and landlords have rights too, comment. I was just being logical and using the recreational MJ regulations of BC and the conditions renters are expected to agree too, in order to obtain a rental space in the lower mainland of BC.

It was a few renters, about 10 years ago that changed the attitude of the landlords and inturn the city bylaws(Can't speak for the rest of Canada) in BC. Calling for landlords to do inspections every 30-60 days, to look for and stop grow-op's(not sure about days between inspections).

And yes the floor thing happened...I was just using it as an extreme example of the type of abuse landlords were experiencing years ago. Back in the day when a landlord rented a house out and as long as the rent was paid every month and the yards kept up... the renter could say "No" to the owner coming through for any reason, except emergancies(fire, floods...etc.).
Basically the renters rights, trumped the landlords rights... unless they didn't pay the rent.

Most of us respected the houses we used and simply grew in the basement and when we moved out, we fixed the place up so noone knew a grow had ever happened there.
But there were those who just didn't care and they are why renters can't grow without the expressed permission of the owner/landlord.

It's like the old saying says...Its the few that wreck it for the many.

And rental properties are not the only thing that this saying can be applied too... the are many things that have changed or ended because of the few. People not being allowed to smoke, vap or grow in a rental is just the latest one.
It is not a Consitutional issue...it is not a danger issue...it is not a renters rights issue...it's simply the province protecting the landlords right to protect their investments.
Besides once a tenant signs the rental agreement... they wave the rights stated in the agreement/contract. Landlords would have included the non-smoking, vaping and growing in the rental agreement anyways...so the province just included it in its recreational regs to stop any disagreements and the eventual flooding of the Civil courts system.

I am not a landlord standing up for landlord rights... nor do I agree that the province should dictate what we the citizens are allowed and not allowed...I am simply stating facts, that were influenced and changed because of abuse and will most likely never change in the future.

It is what it is because...
Its the few...That ruined it for the many.

Today... landlords rights trump renters rights and this is because of the few, the dicks that didn't care 10 plus years ago.

Peace...B

Easy7

Veteran
Just look at humboldt county ads for renting. Most all specify no grows. If there is land space with a rental they MIGHT specify a small grow allowed.

Humboldts been trashed by tweakers growing. I hear it's even worse now with needles.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
*SNIP
Today... landlords rights trump renters rights and this is because of the few, the dicks that didn't care 10 plus years ago.

Peace...B
... not just 10 years ago. It is still going on today. Bottom line, we are living in a society of me, myself and I. People simply don't give a shit any more :(

I remember the e-cig revolution LOL. What happened to democracy (when opposed)? Duh! Democracy at its best, 84% of the population don't smoke. They have spoken!

Around the same time frame, Obama wanted to increase the taxes on cigarettes to fund a per-schooling program. It was shot down and, rightfully so. It discriminated against smokers. Get the hell out of Iraq and you will have an extra $118/yr. Lot's of money for your program.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't believe any legalization anywhere will give a renter the right to grow against the landlord wishes. That is one way the black market will stay strong as well as guerilla growing. Distlling without a permit is illegal in the states. So there is a black market for it. Expect it to be similar with cannabis.

Also there are insurence issues with growing not yet addressed.

That's not what the andlord/tenant lawyers are saying. Medical trumps your lease. You can add the moon to your lease but once tenants are in you can't do squat about it.

Gmack

That's not what the andlord/tenant lawyers are saying. Medical trumps your lease. You can add the moon to your lease but once tenants are in you can't do squat about it.
Your conflating medical grows with rec again! They are not the same and do not have the same set of rules. Medical growers growing for their own personal use do not need landlords approval to grow. If they are growing as dgs then they do need approval. Rec will always need approval full stop.