What's new

Lebanese and Ethiopian grow

LogRhythmic

I started this on May 26th. Better late than never!

May 26, 2018:
Eighteen seeds - six Ethiopian and twelve Lebanese - sowed in disposable poly sacks. A mix of 7% worm castings, 15% sterilized coco, 30% perlite (most of which I accidentally ground into sand as I mixed) and the balance (~45%) limed peat from E.B. Stone starter mix.

I soaked in BioAg TM-7 (humic/fulvic + micros) and liquid kelp for an hour before inoculating with BioAg VAM.

June 9:
Nearly all have sprouted, less one that damped off. Sadly, I somehow planted two together. Oops.

June 17:
The Ethiopians are absolutely thriving. The Lebanese are slower to grow and four more started damping off. I discarded all but one as I was worried about contagion. The sick one was left to dry out a bit and then watered again. It survived but it's a bit behind.

The Ethiopians have white tags..

June 22:
Growth is steady and the two cultivars are now easy to identify by sight. You can see the 'quarantined' Lebanese on the right. A day or two before I thought I'd be clever and put them outside a bit but the elements were too much and one of the Ethiopians, upper left, was damaged. Some leaf tips turned brown (related?) but this did not progress.

June 25:
Upper left Ethiopian is trying to come back. I don't have pics but the growing bits (leaflets? growth tip?) appeared damaged.

LogRhythmic

July 1:
The spots are from a compost tea I brewed using an airlift brewer. They also get the occasional bit of TM-7 + liquid kelp.

Of course, today (July 2) I really screwed things up by putting them outside too long. The wind really ate up some of the Lebanese and I'm not sure they'll recover. I'll post that here soon as well as in the Ace Lebanese thread. :cry:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi LogRhythmic,

Thanks for choosing our new Ethiopian and Lebanese releases for your current outdoor grow. Your seedlings already need a transplant to a bigger non translucid pot with more high quality peat and lesser perlite.

Both the ethiopian and the lebanese are outdoor lines so after a few days of acclimatization in their new pots they will start to grow very vigorously outdoors without much problems.

Please, make sure you are always watering and feeding in the correct ph range in the future. Let us know if you have any doubt. Best wishes!

LogRhythmic

Thanks for the advice. I'll re-pot them today in 20% castings, lots of limed peat, and very little aeration. I haven't been feeding anything but micronutrients and humics. I was planning on getting some composted chicken manure and adding a little to the transplant mix.

deepwaterdude

Hi, LogRuthmic, Cool beans;) and the little plants will recover, they look healthy. I'd add that you repot them up to the cotyledons as they've stretched quite a bit and that'll help stabilize them for outdoor gusts. Super windy around here and I've had my beans outdoors from the getgo in uber powerful, high desert sun and super gusty conditions. Now at 1 month, they follow it like solar panels or trained seals;0) Total sun addicts! Also, I put outdoor vegging plants in much bigger pots to keep roots cool and dark. I've had trouble with anything smaller than a gallon boiling the roots in the hot sun. Good luck! dwd

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the advice. I'll re-pot them today in 20% castings, lots of limed peat, and very little aeration. I haven't been feeding anything but micronutrients and humics. I was planning on getting some composted chicken manure and adding a little to the transplant mix.

Hi LogRhythmic,

Not sure about the quality of your worm casting, but be careful with adding so much for seedlings because you can easily burn them.

LogRhythmic

Hi, LogRuthmic, Cool beans;) and the little plants will recover, they look healthy. I'd add that you repot them up to the cotyledons as they've stretched quite a bit and that'll help stabilize them for outdoor gusts. Super windy around here and I've had my beans outdoors from the getgo in uber powerful, high desert sun and super gusty conditions. Now at 1 month, they follow it like solar panels or trained seals;0) Total sun addicts! Also, I put outdoor vegging plants in much bigger pots to keep roots cool and dark. I've had trouble with anything smaller than a gallon boiling the roots in the hot sun. Good luck! dwd

Thank you for the encouragement! I really wish I had a picture of how bad they looked and the recovery they've made so far. I made some mistakes in the transplant but they are much better than they were.

Hi LogRhythmic,

Not sure about the quality of your worm casting, but be careful with adding so much for seedlings because you can easily burn them.

I just learned that the hard way. I was short on materials, so I did a temporary re-pot in some larger bags. I ran out of worm castings so added 5% composted poultry manure.

They're definitely showing nitrogen burn but they have otherwise recovered. It looks mild and I'm hoping more light will help. When the temperatures drop (we've hit up to 115℉ / 46℃ lately) I'll harden them off, transplant to three gallon fabric pots, and remove some of the "hot" mix in the process.

And thank you again for your guidance - this is all new to me and your expertise is appreciated.

I'm going to sprout the last of my Lebanese today, unless you think it's too late. I can always keep them under a light for a few extra weeks if needed.

Latest posts

Latest posts