What's new

Plants flowering outdoors too early

browntrout

Veteran
Good day IC,

I have put some plants into my greenhouse from indoors 24/7 light in April and moved to outdoors in early may, it seems the sensitive plants have begun to flower and some are 2-3 weeks in with near full blown males. I am using a around 25 males as breeders and around 10 are about 75% through flower. We have had intermittent weather witha lot of rain/darkness and a few minor frosts. The plants were put in the ground in June.

Now I believe going outdoors from 24/7 is the majority of the problem, but how does one induce veg? Are there any hormones or nutrient regimens I can use to get things back on track. I take it a male is much harder to reveg?

Any help would be much appreciated

browntrout

Veteran
Some ideas I had were:

*Feeding of root-booster / Kelp/seaweed extract to promote vegetative growth through hormones.

*Apply 2-3 solar walkway lights.

troutman

Seed Whore
I agree that 24/7 is the probably the problem.

The photoperiod was reduced drastically after you put them outside causing them to flower right away.

You would have been better vegetating with 16-18 hours of light.

browntrout

Veteran
I agree that 24/7 is the probably the problem.

The photoperiod was reduced drastically after you put them outside causing them to flower right away.

You would have been better vegetating with 16-18 hours of light.

For sure, just looking for a corrective action now. Not wanting to re-live the past! lol

troutman

Seed Whore
If some are 75% into flower I think it's too late.

They may stress and go hermie on you. :moon:

You may just have to bite the bullet and enjoy the ride.

browntrout

Veteran
Do they contain auto genes?

No, but it does contain quite a few earlier genetics. I have had this issue with semi-autos like freezeland and hybrids of it before.

Strain in question is a creation of my own, in which case the previous generations haven't shown much of a sign of this. It is:

(((Durban poison x Pakistani Chitral Kush) x Blueberry) x Mother of Berry) x Lemonhokos Blueberry

I've never seen a blueberry even attempt an early flower but the Mother of berry is an Outdoor strain, and the DUrban Poison is acclimatised to our region as well.

Some timewarp crosses are showing signs of early flower but not near as bad.

What I have done so far is nubbed them down to fresh shoots, fed cal-mag, Root booster and cold processed Kelp extract. Next feeding I may have to resort to superthrive as I have seen it almost re-veg plants in full flower indoors.

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
I agree with Troutman, I think they may continue to flower because being past the equinox the days will be getting shorter. Cheers

green-genes77

Veteran
I don't think there's anything you can do besides putting them back on a longer day regimen with artificial light, in which case they might just intersex in the end anyway.

I'm afraid you're pretty well stuck, but there are worse things than a super early outdoor harvest.

browntrout

Veteran
I don't think there's anything you can do besides putting them back on a longer day regimen with artificial light, in which case they might just intersex in the end anyway.

I'm afraid you're pretty well stuck, but there are worse things than a super early outdoor harvest.

I hear ya, I am going to give them a shot of superthrive/floranova grow and see what happens.

My biggest issue is not size, but that these breeder plants release pollen at the correct time. There are about 50.

browntrout

Veteran

St. Phatty

I got into that situation in 2017. Put seedlings outdoor too soon. Thought they would enjoy the sun.

Which they might have done. But some of them would not revert to veg., even with the longer days.

One was particularly stubborn and took until August to get back to veg. She was a Skunky Sativa-Indica mix.

One option is to save the plants that don't revert back to veg. quickly, in a side area.

What helps is to have lots of candidates (seedlings & clones) so you can have more than enough ready to flower in the main garden.