What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lighting Trip relay?

Old Toker

I have a 1000 watt magnetic ballast that I need to connect to a timer. I have an inexpensive digital timer that will power/control the ballast. BUT I've read that even though the timer is rated at enough watts to "handle" the ballast......I should actually use some kind of trip device in between the ballast and the timer. Anyone have any idea what I'm trying to describe?

I believe I saw one on Amazon and now that I need it.... I can't find it. Of course if I knew what it was actually called it might be easier to find? I'm fairly certain the one I saw had plugs instead of needing to be hard wired.

Trying not to burn down my house. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!!!

MTNMEN

120V 8 Way Power Strip Mechanical Timer 8 outlet surge protector offering up to 1000 joules of protection. 4 outlets controlled by mechanical timer with 15 minute on/off increments. 5 ft power cord. 15 amp maximum load

So trying to use something like this will start a fire? i did not know that! I feel like an idiot using it on my 600's mag ballasts but i guess ive been lucky. then again i am not electrician!

Old Toker

Thanks for the quick response MTNMEN!

I don't think the "120V 8 Way Power Strip Mechanical Timer 8 outlet surge protector" is what I'm looking for. The device I need is like a mechanical on/off relay that is designed to handle the 1000 watts for extended periods of time. The digital timer I have could activate/deactivate this device which in turn would handle the 1000 watts of power to the ballast. I'm sorry I'm probably doing a sad job of explaining this.
Thanks again for the suggestion.:tiphat:

120V 8 Way Power Strip Mechanical Timer 8 outlet surge protector offering up to 1000 joules of protection. 4 outlets controlled by mechanical timer with 15 minute on/off increments. 5 ft power cord. 15 amp maximum load

So trying to use something like this will start a fire? i did not know that! I feel like an idiot using it on my 600's mag ballasts but i guess ive been lucky. then again i am not electrician!

MTNMEN

I can't wait to see this thread grow so i can learn! Everytime i hit the "new posts" section at icmag i learn something new it seems!

Old Toker

I can't wait to see this thread grow...
Lets hope that it grows before I need to plug in my 1000w ballast. Otherwise I'll have to connect it directly to my timer and that may be a little risky. Or not. I guess like most other things with our "hobby".....opinions vary. However I do try to err on the side of caution.:tiphat:

cravin morehead

Veteran
Try lighting contactor with a 120v coil (or whatever voltage you are using from your timer). You can get multiple poles to connect other loads that will turn on/off with your light, like exhaust fan.

Cm

C

chris harris

I run a 1000 watt mag ballast on a digital timer, no problem. Timer rated for 15 amps, I believe a 1000 ballast running on 120 volts, pulls approx. 8 amps.
You can use a relay, which will handle most of the load, and use the timer to trip the relay, reducing load on timer if you want.
Check with user Rives, he's pretty knowledgeable on these matters, and always gives sound advise.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Try lighting contactor with a 120v coil (or whatever voltage you are using from your timer). You can get multiple poles to connect other loads that will turn on/off with your light, like exhaust fan.

Cm

This, you need a thing called a contactor or relay

Basically a really heavy duty switch to handle the 3x inductive amperage that a magnetic ballast sucks when it fires up. The silly little lightweight copper tangs in almost all normal timers get fried really fast, so you isolate the switching to the relay and just use normal weak timers to control the relay

They can be wired up in different configurations like on/off or onA/onB for flip flop rooms, but any decent electrician knows how to wire them up

troutman

Seed Whore
I had a digital timer that sometimes would work and sometimes it wouldn't.

So now I got mechanical ones and they never failed me yet.

Mine look something like this and they are very easy to use.

https://www.amazon.com/TNI2423-Grounded-Outlet-Mechanical-Indoor/dp/B00D8OCPXU

71cD-9z41jL._SY550_.jpg

Old Toker

Try lighting contactor with a 120v coil (or whatever voltage you are using from your timer).
I believe this is it. Thank you!! Now I need to find one that is "plug and play" without requiring me to hard wire it. A man should know his limitations.....and I have VERY limited electrical expertise. If I find one I'll post a link for those that are in a similar position.
Thanks again!:tiphat:

Old Toker

I run a 1000 watt mag ballast on a digital timer, no problem. Timer rated for 15 amps, I believe a 1000 ballast running on 120 volts, pulls approx. 8 amps.
Thank you. I believe I have the same timer and it worked fine when I was testing the ballast and bulb. However....long term....and for extended periods of time ....I have read reports of this timer not being able to handle the load. :tiphat:

Old Toker

Basically a really heavy duty switch to handle the 3x inductive amperage that a magnetic ballast sucks when it fires up. The silly little lightweight copper tangs in almost all normal timers get fried really fast, so you isolate the switching to the relay and just use normal weak timers to control the relay
Yep....this is what I had read. Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully some company manufactures some over priced plug and play lighting contactor that I can connect to the "silly little lightweight copper tangs" in my timer:).

Old Toker

If I can't find a non-do-it-yourself lighting contactor....I may end up just using the digital timer and risking a problem. Hard wiring a lighting contactor would worry me more than using my digital timer.
Thanks again for the help!:tiphat:

cravin morehead

Veteran
If I can't find a non-do-it-yourself lighting contactor....I may end up just using the digital timer and risking a problem. Hard wiring a lighting contactor would worry me more than using my digital timer.
Thanks again for the help!:tiphat:

I can type you through it. but YouTube would be much easier to learn from. instead of those little timers you really should use something safer. try looking up an Intermatic T101. very basic, heavy duty time clock. it can control one piece of equip, a T102 can control 2 pieces ( 1 pole &2 pole)

cm

Old Toker

instead of those little timers you really should use something safer.
I agree. But it's not safer if I screw up the wiring.

You're probably thinking "how stupid is this guy?". And the answer is pretty stupid. However I do have some common sense.....although admittedly not much. Seriously.....If I have to cut the plugs off of a 1000w ballast and wire it into a contactor....then I'm going to take my chances that my cheap Titan Controls 734105 Apollo 9 "Heavy Duty" 15 AMP capacity timer will do the job.

Thanks for trying to save my life. I know
you are correct and the connector is safer.....just not willing to tackle THAT project.:tiphat:

cravin morehead

Veteran
I hear you old toker. Just keep checking on your timer, make sure it's not getting hot. Maybe get one with the highest amp rating you can find, like 1800 or 2000 watts. I've been an electrician for 25+years and forget sometimes that not everyone has been doing this type of work enough to understand and be comfortable with it. Good growing to you sir...

Cm

Last edited:

brown_thumb

I imagine the warning you read has something to do with the initial start current. I suppose it could cause arcing in delicate or underbuilt control/switching devices.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Yep....this is what I had read. Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully some company manufactures some over priced plug and play lighting contactor that I can connect to the "silly little lightweight copper tangs" in my timer:).

Here in Spain, and the UK you can buy things like these... No doubt there are US versions

Basically a nice watertight hobby box with a timer, a relay and 2 or 4 or 8 outlets for 400, 600 or 1000... all wired up (hopefully...) right for you

http://www.hortitec.es/Catalogue/Item/618023?Outlet=0