What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY nutrients from household items

rcproductionzz

I'd love to share my approach to organic gardening with you guys to get your advice and to possibly help yall out. My credentials, for the last 9 months I've been an organic certifier for a company accredited under the NOP, and 40 hours a week I review organic inputs to see if they comply or not, along with other farming practices. I've seen very interesting practices so farm, with some farmers embracing the 'spirit' of organic farming over others.

So as the thread suggests, I've found that KISS methods of fresh, simple, cheap, organic, household items are the best method for me at this time to achieve all NPK CaMaS, B, Zn.. etc. Here is a list that I mix into a pitcher of water for my girls as needed. No measurements are exact, almost as if I'm baking a cake without the recipe.

N- Neptunes harvest, alfalfa meal tea, or worm castings ..theres a lot of DIY options for N..
P- molasses - as im in flowering now, this is a primary P source.
K- ashes from burnt wood - as im in flowering now, this is a primary source of K. I've heard reports of risks involved with this method in terms of pH changing, or heavy metals?.. this is my first season using them and so far I'm not visually noticing a problem
Ca-I have crushed egg shells that i dissolve in vinegar. comments?
Mg- few table spoons of epsom salt that dont appear to dissolve in the water.. comments?
S- epsom salt

Other:
1 table spoon of a chelated micronutrient blend to add Zn, Fe, Cu, Mg.
1/2 table spoon of super concentrated himalayan seasalt water for mucho micros.

Stuff I've heard about considering that I'd like to get someone's take on their value/effectiveness: aloe, humus, yucca, silica, nettle, yarrow, white oak, dandylion, salicylic acid or stinging nettle.

Welp, thats my lazy approach to a hydro-organic garden. I encourage you to critique my technique AND/Or ask me about any ingredient in terms of the NOP's stance.. I'm all about quality and believe once you have a sound fert system, the quantity will come. My 5th harvest is looking like the best one yet.. forever improving.

Thanks for the read. :D

This seems like it has potential to be interesting and educational. Could you elaborate more? A step by step walk through of what you do on the regular would be amazing IMO.

Iamnumber

subbed.

crushed eggshells raise ph upto 7. I believe the term is (ph) limiting agent. I have been lookin for one that would raise/lower ph closer to 6,5 - I have found none so far.

willow bark - source for rooting hormones / agent.

"Other:
1 table spoon of a chelated micronutrient blend to add Zn, Fe, Cu, Mg.
1/2 table spoon of super concentrated himalayan seasalt water for mucho micros."
to what amount of water do you mix these?

I also use diluted bokashi piss, aloe , lactobacteria on leaf sprays / watering. There is logic reason why these would help - thou not a proof and plants do not seem worse from it > so I use them as main cost is effort.

Going to add worms on future grows to soil

Ca - crushed sheashells (also give micros according web info)

rooting hormone / agent - willow bark.

Latest posts

Latest posts