What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

Rampant

Hi bro, hope your keeping well. Looking back at your thread i can see how much more root growth you have than me. I am still getting decent yields though so am gonna work on that next. I must start using hydroton again, too lazy i guess. I have had a few big plants lately in 3.5 litre square pots as thats all i had around. Only problem with them is holding them up without string . I love vertical, thanks for this thread. :biggrin:

G

Guest 349079

excellent thread hundred gram oz i will be trying coco with a drip system next grow!! i am now going to read up on vertical growing thanks for sharing peace gtbh

I really like growing Drain to Waste in coco, better than DWC, which was my former growing technique. I will say, Coco can be finicky, the root-zone likes it warm, it can bind with certain nutes, there are quality issues with the medium itself, but overall it's sort of gotten fool proof for me. I always start with good Coco, preferably Canna Coco, or B'Cuz/Atami, or something similar, washed, rinsed, charged, fiberous, pithy. My first couple coco grows I used bricks, and rinshed the shit out of em, and did okay.... but when you are soaking something to grow plants in, and you see an oily residue on the surface, that can't be good for plants! I think that should be the number one rule of Coco Club.... always start with good quality coco!

This is HGO's thread, is he going to pop in for an update?

supermanlives

Veteran
great read . i tried coco when it was first getting some attention . failed miserably went back to soil. prob bad coco and unflushed and not charged with some ferts. along with a few other things. gonna try a few plants again and get my feet wet. thanks

great read . i tried coco when it was first getting some attention . failed miserably went back to soil. prob bad coco and unflushed and not charged with some ferts. along with a few other things. gonna try a few plants again and get my feet wet. thanks

I had the same experience, tried it back in 2004, and all my plants were fried. Stayed with DWC, then in like 2009, I got fed up with the bugs and the slime, and tried half a grow with Canna Coco, and I've never looked back. Fuck those bricks!

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran

do it, do it, do it

just get a bagged coco like canna or b'cuzz and your set man.. once you have a good grow in coco, no more 'soil'

I think as pablo once put it, coco is civilized.. great for indoor

-better 'drought' resistance
-better resistance to 'overwatering' ( oxygen )
-smaller pots
-faster growth
-easy clean up

D

DHF

I really like growing Drain to Waste in coco, better than DWC, which was my former growing technique. I will say, Coco can be finicky, the root-zone likes it warm, it can bind with certain nutes, there are quality issues with the medium itself, but overall it's sort of gotten fool proof for me. I always start with good Coco, preferably Canna Coco, or B'Cuz/Atami, or something similar, washed, rinsed, charged, fiberous, pithy. My first couple coco grows I used bricks, and rinshed the shit out of em, and did okay.... but when you are soaking something to grow plants in, and you see an oily residue on the surface, that can't be good for plants! I think that should be the number one rule of Coco Club.... always start with good quality coco!

This is HGO's thread, is he going to pop in for an update?
HGO`s cool.........Just busy in the real world while trimmin topfed DTW dialed coco nuggage........not bottom fed flood tables........

Peace....DHF....:ying:.........

MIway

Veteran
I had the same experience, tried it back in 2004, and all my plants were fried. Stayed with DWC, then in like 2009, I got fed up with the bugs and the slime, and tried half a grow with Canna Coco, and I've never looked back. Fuck those bricks!

My bad Spleef... Clumsy fingers! I'll get ya back... ;-)

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
I'm on a break away at the moment, hotels and eating out for the next few days fellas, I'll get an update when I get back home. :thumbsup:

PS, I only use bagged Canna Coco, the quality over here has been excellent so far, I know others across the pond have had their problems though.

HGO

supermanlives

Veteran
coco has been part of my soil mix for a long time. due to using it as bedding for my wormfarms and adding extra straight to soil. i havent seen any bagged coco at the organic nursery i go only bricks. i will also need a ph meters which i tossed out years back. actually 3 of em lol. i dont wanna switch ferts either so that may be an issue.pure blend pro is as far as i am willing to go chem wise.earth juice is my fert of choice.

palewhale93

hi everyone i have just started growing in canna coco could someone please tell me what ph i should set my nutrient feed to in veg and flower cycle

O

otis33

I have also read people going to 6.3 late in flower, can't remember why, maybe for better mag uptake

O

otis33

I start my blumat res at 5.7 and it usually drifts to 6.1-6.3 and my plants always look healthy. I use tap water. There are some very useful coco threads, you should read them, they will tell you everything you want to know and much more. You will be a pro in no time. I am a novice (on my 3rd grow) and have had above average harvests due to the forgiving nature of coco and the help from the ic community

There's really nothing wrong with using bricked coco. Good brands like Botanicare and GH are fine, you just gotta rinse them well and charge them before transplanting into them. Those 5 kg blocks are less than half the price of quality bagged coco and also have the advantage of being free from fungus gnat larva. I know for a fact that Canna bagged coco, if mishandled by shippers and stoned shop dudes, can get contaminated with all kinds of nasty shit. Personally, I do a first rinse with boiling water, which kills ANYTHING, I reckon. So, a bit of work will get you the same or even better results in the long run....just my opinion, though.

stagehand

MadCow

I tried Canna bagged coco a couple years ago, great product, i now use GH bricks and i see the same results as long as u rinse it. So i have to agree with stagehand bricks are great as long as its from a good company.

Space Case

Veteran
Botanicare bricks here, no problems, occasional salt. Just start with a heavy rinse using RO water. Only perlite/grow rocks on the bottom inch or 2. Seems the botanicare is more course than the Canna and doesn't need added perlite. I hand feed, but will irrigate soon enough.