What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indica is diluting the sacred herb

statusquo

Note that this is from the sativa thread started by four seasons. I just wanted to increase the amount of people that read this article because I feel it's important :) Let me know if you guys agree.

picture.php

picture.php

Indica is the cash crop. It's stone is relatively boring, narcotic and uniform. I have been saying exactly what this article outlines for a long time now. It's uncanny how the words still ring true today and the foresight this guy had. Indica is also an easier high to appreciate for the average mundane person. Sativas spark that creative flare and infuse the smoker with a cerebral energy that is as wonderful as the smoker allows it to be.

I also think this is what is responsible for the lazy stoner stereotype. Many people get heavy indica strains that are cash cropped (sometimes by gangs/cartels in other countries but there are still a plethora of domestic grows responsible for churning out this bland crap) which makes them couch-locked and lazy. I view indica buds like I view pop music compared to jazz music. Pop music is exactly the opposite of jazz: it's easy to like and appreciate since it is all the same and overly simplified but also gets old fast. Do yourself and others a favor by spreading the word and psuedo boycotting indicas whenever you can. I buy solely sativa when I have the option and only save a small amount of indica for sleep/extremely stressful situations. Growers: limit the amount of heavy indicas you keep in your strainbank and in the rotation.

I DO admit that indica genetics do have their place and they are necessary to bring into the genetic pool somewhat to make indoor growing possible. I will also acknowledge the wonderful smells and aesthetic properties of the indica flowers.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
um, yeah I didn't read this because i don't feel like squinting at the article, but what you fail to recognize is the important medicinal properties of Indica varieties. yes, indica dominant strains are smarter to cash crop with, because they are generally shorter flowering, but just because you find it boring, doesn't mean everyone does. It certainly doesn't mean that herb is being "diluted".

For growing purposes, if you grow from seed, of course poly-hybrids aren't easy to work with, and a lot of the poly-hybrid seeds are a mishmash of indicas. but thats due to the variance in phenotypes, not because the genetics or potency/effects are being diluted. they are being changed, yes. But it's all a matter of opinion.

statusquo

I find it amusing you comment without even looking at the main point of the post - the article. And I specifically addressed the positive benefits that you did in my post, including the necessity of cannabis indica for indoor growing (shorter flowering times). And yes, me thinking indica's are boring is a matter of opinion but it is a fact that they are all similar and don't get you "high" in the original sense of the term. Also, this is the toker's den - obviously this is my opinion and I am not forcing anybody to do anything. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Maybe its me but I can read the text just fine.

B

B. Self Reliant

To each their own.

In my mind, the root of the problem is that the plant is still illegal, not that Indica is taking over. If it were legal we could preserve all the strains, all the hybrids and all the steps in the breeding process we wanted, right? There would be nothing lost, because you could always go back to the original plants.

Within the realm of prohibition, the problem is that people generally only keep around what they grow, and yes, many folks would like to harvest every 8 to 10 weeks instead of every 10+ weeks. So, in the race to breed shorter, faster flowering plants, unfortunately some of the original sativas were lost in the process. That definitely sucks, and it's too bad smokers didn't realize what was slowly fading away until it was too late for some strains.

However, it also needs to be acknowledged that some smokers enjoy indicas, yet don't consider themselves simple or boring smokers. I wasn't alive when the indica traits started taking over, but I've never heard any stories about any uprisings, so apparently some people like indicas!

statusquo

I realize people like indicas. Again I addressed there are reasons to have them around and I even enjoy certain aspects of them. And I also acknoweldge that many, if not most people, like and prefer indicas...just like most people prefer pop music...

Cush

I appreciate many indica varieties and there are a lot I don't care for, same with sativas. I search for the best genetics and keep what I like. I smoke heavy indicas all day long and go out in public without acting like a retarded stoner. If you're totally uninspired anytime you smoke indicas than that sucks for you. Indicas definitely serve more of a purpose than to zonk you out at night or cash cropping. To each their own.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Well here in the Midwest, pure sativas don't finish outdoors. I prefer Sativas as well, but because of weed being spread across the nation, things needed to be done in order to grow .
I read that article in a vintge cannabis thread and enjoyed it. It must have been nice to live in times where indica was non existent.

I personally don't think indica is ruining cannabis. Obviously commercial growers prefer to grow them, so they probably flood the market but it's not hard to order seeds of whatever sativa you want, and grow them.

There are plenty of hybrids that are satia dominant in the high, with indica growth characteristics.

Peace.

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've actually read that a couple of times, and...while there are points i agree w/, the over all tone is the reefer equivalent of an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

the take away i have from it is...nearly 30 years after the handwavery and topical concerns, things are much the same...if not improved. access to 100% sativa is just a mail order away....if you actually want it.

personally, i do, but not as a staple. it's the ice cream, not the meat and taters.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I find it amusing you comment without even looking at the main point of the post - the article. And I specifically addressed the positive benefits that you did in my post, including the necessity of cannabis indica for indoor growing (shorter flowering times). And yes, me thinking indica's are boring is a matter of opinion but it is a fact that they are all similar and don't get you "high" in the original sense of the term. Also, this is the toker's den - obviously this is my opinion and I am not forcing anybody to do anything. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Maybe its me but I can read the text just fine.

I'm not on a computer with a huge screen right now, I'll read it later. But no, you didn't address the important Pain Relief benefits that Indica has as medication, or really cannabis as medicine at all. all you really did was say that you use it to sleep sometimes.

I myself prefer sativa dominant strains to smoke because as you say, and we all know the variance and the complexity of the flavors, smells, and highs. But a lot of people would be in serious pain without Indica dominant hybrids and pure indica strains to smoke.

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Without Indicas how could medical patients be eased from there physical pains. Sativas just don't cut it for my back pain..

G

Guywithoutajeep

Indica has the medicinal qualities that apply to me. So screw this dude.

hahhh

its not indicas fault. it will definitely be the ignorance of the stewards of the gene pool who will certainly be inbreeding the fuck out of the gene pool..for money and because they dont know any better.

Latest posts

Latest posts