What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My OBBT Bucket Build

Interesting

Continuing the Etheline treatment as you go to sprout the plants. Everything I've read on it so far suggests treting the sees dry before sprouting. You did that, but kept going with it as you now want to sprout. Very cool.

rrog

Veteran
Yes I was reading a couple of seemingly competent articles where Ethylene was distributed for quite some time. Banana peels in the grow room, etc.

Also, per that link I posted a while ago, apples were listed as much bigger Ethylene producers than bananas. Hence the apples in the pics.

I guess I didn't see the harm as long as mold was not introduced.

Kanye WeED

See, starting that stuff out dry was just demonstrating how much of a non-pharmer newb I am.

But given how dry it was before the re-mix I'm not thinking anything much started. Now it's just percolating away nicely.

Starting seeds Monday along with LactoB

congrats man, u are on ur way, cant wait to see u and ur plants journey, ill be watching man

what strains are u going with??

rrog

Veteran
Kanye, thanks. I have 3 Pails cooking and 4 seeds germinating. I'll take the best 3 seedlings. Northern Lights #5 and Purple Diesel

For veg lighting I have two fluoros, T-5 PLL. 55W at 6400k. Each set is 24" long. Both sets together should see these through the veg period.

For flower I have a 600W HPS Hortilux in a sealed hood. 300 CFM fan pulling air through a carbon scrubber, then through the light hood, then out of the room, though it's too small to really be considered a room.

New for this grow is a 75W, externally ballasted UV-B lamp. 282nm-320nm. Lab tested and proven to maintain spectral integrity and output over time. I thought and read long and hard about incorporating it in the grow, but I'm convinced there's enough data as well as anecdotal information to show that UV-B affects D9 THC production.

Kanye WeED

Kanye, thanks. I have 3 Pails cooking and 4 seeds germinating. I'll take the best 3 seedlings. Northern Lights #5 and Purple Diesel

For veg lighting I have two fluoros, T-5 PLL. 55W at 6400k. Each set is 24" long. Both sets together should see these through the veg period.

For flower I have a 600W HPS Hortilux in a sealed hood. 300 CFM fan pulling air through a carbon scrubber, then through the light hood, then out of the room, though it's too small to really be considered a room.

New for this grow is a 75W, externally ballasted UV-B lamp. 282nm-320nm. Lab tested and proven to maintain spectral integrity and output over time. I thought and read long and hard about incorporating it in the grow, but I'm convinced there's enough data as well as anecdotal information to show that UV-B affects D9 THC production.

:yoinks: a man after my own heart, first and formost i thought i was the only one that used UV-B lighting, dont know if my UV-B lights are as high class as urs tho, i just got mine from pets smart, they are like 100 watts and i have 2 but right now i just use 1. and i too believe that they do effect resin production ALOT

WOW damn nothern lights number 5 and purple diesel huh, where did u get the purple diesel from, that sounds like a real good mix man.

i myself grow red diesel but just started a fem seed, and am planning on crossing a g-13 haze seed with the red diesel, and ur purple diesel post now has me hoping i get at least 1 male out of my PURPLE BUD strain, so i can cross it with my diesel strain also.

my purple bud strain isnt real potent tho but i hear the diesel is.

sounds like u r gonna really have a nice lil obbt grow going on man..

im, tuned!!!:lurk:

rrog

Veteran
Purple Diesel from these guys: http://www.highgrade-seeds.com/ Highly recommend those fellows. The Purple Diesel was described as a great head buzz, not the body buzz couchlock. We'll see. I like NL#5 for the same reason.

I found that most "UV" bulbs are UV-A. Like Blacklights. The UV-A and UV-C may also play a role, but all the reading I've done has been about UV-B

MrGreen

Interesting

Continuing the Etheline treatment as you go to sprout the plants. Everything I've read on it so far suggests treting the sees dry before sprouting. You did that, but kept going with it as you now want to sprout. Very cool.

On another site I frequent there are a few people that have had some success using it after the seed has popped. It is of course hard to determine if it just variance due to the unscientific methods, but apples and bananas are cheap enough that I'm willing to waste a few if it helps even a little bit.

Keep up the good work, hopefully I'll be able to contribute soon!

h.h.

Veteran
Bananas have long been a part of my voodoo. I use them, but I don't know why. They just seem to have so much shit in them and the way they break down so quickly. I like to throw them in my tea.
It seems the trick to healthy compost that delivers what your plant needs is to eat healthy. I love bananas. One brown spot though and they go to the plants.
Welcome Mr. Green. If you haven't checked out the Lady's bio club thread, I would suggest it. It has a wealth of information and opinions of what may be some of the roots of ground breaking technology. Then again it may be simply a lot of hype. Theories waiting for proof. Theories with good science behind them. The more that join in, the more proof or failures involved the greater our understanding. This is a new age for growing MJ. With the easement of cultivation laws and the internet, it's bound to get to another level.

rrog

Veteran
h2, the science certainly seems sound. This is just a re-assembly of various techniques that are already successfully deployed. The biggest deviation from the norm would be the intense aeration to support the micro-life.

The fact that LadyL and DM were able to see the bigger picture benefits of adding them all together is absolutely remarkable. The seeing of this as well as the the articulation showing they understand it well. I really do think it has the power to change the common grow methods.

I can say the traditional hydro fert companies are not gonna like this one bit...

Speaking of this wonderful micro-life, here are 2 pics from the surface of my buckets today:

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

The little blue-ish delicate wisps I assume is fungus? No little mushroomy looking deals yet.

McDanger

Speaking of this wonderful micro-life, here are 2 pics from the surface of my buckets today:

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

The little blue-ish delicate wisps I assume is fungus? No little mushroomy looking deals yet.

Looking good. As soon as your seeds are ready, the medium looks like it will assimilate them right away. How are they doing?
A couple ?'s for ya. Did you notice how much swell you got out of the medium when you remixed and wetted it, how much left over that didn't fit in the buckets? I just mixed mine dry, filled the buckets to about 2" from the top of the bucket, then watered, covered, and bubbled in the dark for a week. I just wonder if my network would have been better if I used the myco madness. All I used was the bio-tone for the fungus, but within a week the entire top of the medium had a fine web that held moisture in it. I just think I would have had a wider variety with the myco madness.
Good luck

rrog

Veteran
McD! What's happening?

I have a LOT of air bubbling and so LadyL predicted very fast fungal growth. This has been only 48 hours. I have to wait until next Monday to make this an even week of pre-planting percolation.

I also have seeds now sprouted. Exciting.

Kanye WeED

McD! What's happening?

I have a LOT of air bubbling and so LadyL predicted very fast fungal growth. This has been only 48 hours. I have to wait until next Monday to make this an even week of pre-planting percolation.

I also have seeds now sprouted. Exciting.

lucky dawg u

im glad u put in a lot of air bubbles, i think i wanna follow in your foot steps and use alot in my also.

is there a certain type of air bubbler u have (pump) that puts out that many bubbles, or can i just get a nice big one from walmart?

thanks rrog!!

rrog

Veteran
I bought a Sunleaves SDA540 pump with the 6-port deal. 950 GPH.

Used Sunleaves airline, and 6 Sunleaves 3" air Stones (2 per bucket).

5 gallon black pails from US Plastic.

Uniseals

1/2" standard PVC

I like the design so far. Looking for elements that I would change next time. Have not identified anything yet.

I seem to be going through more water than I imagined. So as not to disturb any growth, I have been re-filling the reservoir through the clear plastic water level hose. I hated to see rich brown water come out the overflow the first and only time I surface watered.

The medium is certainly moist. There is condensation along the upper rim of the bucket.

As far as how much swell happened when I moistened and re-mixed, I can't say. I don't think a lot. Again, the main ingredient (by volume) is the re-hydrated coco block. I did the re-hydration, but let it dry (don't do that). The coco certainly swelled up BIG TIME. So when re-hydrated the second time, there was no additional swelling.

rrog

Veteran
Well today was planting day. Seeds were in germination at 85F for 7 days. I was waiting for the first set of serrated leaves but the week of OBBT pre-digesting was up, and the seedlings were 1 week old. Seemed that I should plant, so I did.

Side note: The seeds were in Ethylene 10 days prior to their incubation starting. Then continued with Ethylene during germination.

Here's a shot of the seeds in the incubator this AM:

IMG_0972.jpg

Couple of close-ups of the seedlings in the OBBT:

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

Here are the buckets installed under the lights.

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

Note in that last shot that I have plastic bags with ripening apples for more Ethylene. Low levels now. Don't see the harm, so what the hell.

Note that I have a fluoro fixture hanging under the movable SCROG screen. Above that is the HPS. SO I'll simple remove the flouros when I'm ready to move to flower. Plants stay stationary.

Lastly, see my percolating rice water for LactoB. One jar is using the Jaykush method, the other is bubbling with LadyLs method. Temp is controlled at 70F.

IMG_0980.jpg

hehe, you want shroomy deals?? You picked the wrong fungus if you wanted that, I would recommend a little Cubenesis goodness if you where going for that.

The only time you should see little mushrooms in your medium is if you used some kind of spent fungus cake from something like the aforementioned PC.

Mycorhiza fungus, by and large, can only fruit in the presence of terrestrial plant roots! Once you get your fine cannabis plants rocking those buckets fruiting will be able to occur. Granted, you won't be able to see that either!
But aside that little misunderstanding you've done an amazing job rrog! The buckets are primed and that kind of activity in 48 hours has got to be some kind of record! It seems the massive aeration could be of some use after all.

I am speculating already that this style of bucket you have, huge aeration, deep medium, big chunky overbuilt drans and fittings, while not quite my style definitely has its place. I think you could go with a super-deep bath with this setup, go like 50% volume. Push fucking massive air. It could result in the benchmark for OBBT performance. I think the speed of your fungal takeover spells out potential for very potent chemical leverage. You could have one of the most firmly-set and aggressive Bio Box effects to date. You'll have to keep up with this big metabolism, but I think you could take some serious liberties with super-potent nutrient teas, liquid hydro nutes, artificial gear. The quantity of oxygenation, thus potential for ionization of salt-based nutrients, is really strong. Its like having a very well-sorted DWC rig under everything. And yet with the densly-woven fungal mat in the medium above limiting gas exchange the whole thing operates under a sort of pressure.It 'cooks' somehow. I bet its a sight to behold.

Overall you look good my man, although perhaps your floros are a bit high up. You did plan to lower that bugger once your plants root in and green up right? Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like just a T8 fixture. Most floros need all the help they can get, don't be afraid to put them on the plants, they love it! :joint:

rrog

Veteran
Yes, I'd be lowering them tomorrow, I thought. Not shock them too much. I was going to lower so the bulbs are maybe 4" from plant? That about right?

Regarding little mushrooms, I thought I remembered someone posting pics of those. I probably didn't remember correctly.

I have all of the raw ingredients ready for teas. Even corncob ash.

Rrog: the student has become the teacher. Only a few months ago you were trying to figure out which organic system to go with. Now look at you.

Nice set up, you and I build shit alike. Slightly overbuilt with room to tune it down if you need to. And everything heavy duty. Also we both are okay with criss-crossing the organic line to get the best results.

I think your gonna rip it up man, really. I hear what LadyL is saying about the risk of oxidation- but I think if you use fairly quality stable items you'll cruise. Don't leave em too long, and watch how the life in your system responds. Last thing you want to do is pour something in there that starts fucking with the microlife. To my mind, I would error on the side of the ecosystems you have made. As well, try any chem's in one bucket before doing them all to stay safe.

On the whole banana peels: I have no opinion, let me know how it goes. I "get" the science, and am entirely unsure about the results. It would be impossible for me to do it anyhow really. I am all eyes.

rrog

Veteran
Thanks Citizen. I'm following the original DM and LadyL recipe closely. I have no experience to recommend any deviations. So it's all organic as originally described in their threads.

I do have a lot of air. And the pails are 40% water / stone, 60% medium. Less medium, actually, since the pails are not to the brim with medium. So maybe 40% water, 55% medium, 5% nothing / perlite/

The fittings aren't oversized. All 1/2" PVC. They look oversized since that's just the way schedule 40 pipe looks.

Again, I have no idea about the continued Ethylene from apples. THe apples were in a sealed container when I feminized the seeds for 10 days, and in the sealed incubator for 7 days while they germinated. Now they're all out in the open, so Ethylene concentration must be 1% of what it was. But I see no harm so what the hell.

All three seedlings in the buckets have secondary serrated leaves this AM. Very deep green. I germinated 4 seeds and took the best three. 1 NL#5 and 2 Purple Diesels were planted. The 4th seedling I kept incubating, although at 70F not 85F as before. No secondary leaves on that 4th seedling yet. I'll keep her in the incubator and see what happens for shits and giggles.

rrog

Veteran
Well, glad I kept that 4th seedling. I think one is toast in the bucket. I suspect that the very bulky medium, along with my desire to not overly disrupt the fungus, left gaps around the tap root and it dried out.

So I poured water around all plants so as to encourage particles to fill in around the roots. I also planted seedling #4 near toasted plant #3, and we'll see what happens.

They all looked fine this AM. I had a small clear glass inverted over each overnight. Took that off this AM and lowered the lights. Too much too soon I suspect. Temp at soil level was 80.

So I watered (medium is perfectly moist it seems :) ) to get soil around roots, raised lights and inverted the cups again.

Might not be a bad idea to have a small section of finer soil as an initial landing area for the seedlings.

I hate to start new seeds since I have no time for feminization.

UPDATE:

I believe all is well and I learned a few things. Being the newb that I am I, in fact, did not properly seat those seedlings in the medium. I carefully removed the material around each seedling and found very poor contact with the medium. Someone with plant experience would have known better. But now I know. I used a bit of older soil compost I had. Not too bio-active, so I thought safe. Made mud with it and re-seated each seedling. Maybe 1-2 teaspoons per seedling is all.

Also, the toasted seedling was planted in a glass of dirt since I can't throw it away. The 4th seedling slated for termination yesterday came out with both guns today. Much bigger. 8 days old. So while they're fragile when so large, they sure can survive fine after a week of incubation. So I learned something.

Lights are raised, glass inserted over them, and we'll see in the AM.

Amazing how that bucket seems so moist. I re-fill water through the water level indicator tube (like filling a car gas tank) so any moistness if from the bubblers at work. :woohoo: