What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HIGH CBD/CBN LOW THC seeds?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello-

As a breeder several of my clients, esp. those with cancer, Parkinson's and MS are asking me to do hybridize some seeds for them with high % content of CBD/CBN for pain, nausea. Strains that are not high in THC. At one time they ALL liked the THC effects. Now older (50's- 70's), they are asking for anti-pain and nausea meds.

I know about Charlotte's Web and Harlequin, however they come by clones, not seeds, or difficult to obtain with the recent 60 MINUTES news blog. I've also tried with pretty positive success, leaving my strains go an extra 2-3 weeks past optimal stage in order to reduce the THC.

If anyone can recommend or know of anyone doing high CBD/CBN low THC in seed form, please let me know. Prefer private breeders since I am one, but open to commercial breeder strains as well.

You might say I'm on a mission to give patients what they ask for in salves, tinctures and vape strains. Most do their own growing with seed strains we've developed.

I exclusively work breeding autoflower strains primarily for medicinal purposes, (several strains I've hybridized for pain, anxiety/depression for my own medical issues) yet grow and breed for sheer enjoyment of the smoke/sensation.

While trekking in the San Juans SW Colorado, I have gathered some lower Rocky Mountain ruderalis I'm reworking to increase quality/potency. On f2-f4 right now working with a Matanuska and ind/sat auto hybrids. Each crop possesses stronger and more desirable effects.:dance013: However, they are not bred with the intention of low THC, high CBD/CBN.

Thanks folks.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Do you understand that Cannabis does not directly produce CBN like it does with the other Cannabinoids like THCA, CBDA, CBCA, THCVA, CBGA, etc....
You can not grow a variety high in CBN. CBN is a degradation product of the other Cannabinoids, like THC.
-SamS

Last edited:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Aridbud,
Just do an IC search for CBD strains, there's plenty of info to be found. ( That's what I did ;-))

oldchuck

Veteran
You are considerably advanced in this quest, Aridbud, compared to me but I'm looking for high CBD too. I'm wondering if you have considered hemp varieties. I'm thinking the quickest route to optimum THC/CBD balance is by mixing concentrates of hemp and smoke. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I'm going to assume that you mean CBN as in higher amber trichs therefore sleepier? Eating cannabis is far more effective then smoking it when you have cancer imvho stay frosty headband 707

Cannabinol (CBN) is the primary product of THC degradation, and there is usually little of it in a fresh plant. CBN content increases as THC degrades in storage, and with exposure to light and air. It is only mildly psychoactive. Its affinity to the CB2 receptor is higher than for the CB1 receptor.[35]

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you understand that Cannabis does not directly produce CBN like it does with the other Cannabinoids like THCA, CBDA, CBCA, THCV, CBGA, etc....
You can not grow a variety high in CBN. CBN is a degradation product of the other Cannabinoids, like THC.
-SamS

Thanks, Sam....I've started letting strains degrade specifically for that purpose.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going to assume that you mean CBN as in higher amber trichs therefore sleepier? Eating cannabis is far more effective then smoking it when you have cancer imvho stay frosty headband 707

In the plant, CBD is a precursor and CBN a metabolite of THC. As cannabis gets older, THC gradually breaks down to CBN.

CBN and CBD are not psychoactive themselves, however CBD can take the edge off a THC high, tending to relax the user rather than increasing anxiety and paranoia. CBD has also been found to have anticonvulsant properties (potential value in treating epilepsy, MS, muscle spasms etc), and recently published research has indicated CBD to be effective in reducing neurotoxic brain damage following strokes or head trauma. The proposed mechanism of action also suggests CBD may offer some protection against ecstasy-derived neurotoxicity (long-term depletion of serotonergic receptors), although this has not specifically been investigated.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Aridbud,
Just do an IC search for CBD strains, there's plenty of info to be found. ( That's what I did ;-))

Thanks, Chevy. I entered a few descriptive words and came up with nada. However, I did not used the exact verbiage of "CBD strains":tiphat:

Jhhnn

Veteran
Chevy-
Ahh, the magic of the correct words....thanks!! Thinking of 1-2 strains for the Spring.

Google "CBD crew" for a start.

The Stanley Brothers grow a very high CBD strain called Charlotte's Web. Dunno if they share it.

A coworker grows Northern Lights for his quadriplegic wife, flowers it for at least 3 months until it's way overripe, trichs all amber & brown. She had terrible problems with nerve pain before that & has quit narcotic painkillers entirely as a result.

Edit- You already mentioned Charlotte's web, so I get a big Duh! for that...

SHC

AC/DC 22:1 Clone only strain. Found as a Cannatonic Pheno.
Harle-Tsu 20:1 Southern Humboldt Seed Company(there are others, but this is the strongest)
Cannatonic 10-1, Resin Seed Company Spain
Harlequin I think is a 9:1, but the seed price is a joke!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
In the plant, CBD is a precursor and CBN a metabolite of THC. As cannabis gets older, THC gradually breaks down to CBN.

CBN and CBD are not psychoactive themselves, however CBD can take the edge off a THC high, tending to relax the user rather than increasing anxiety and paranoia. CBD has also been found to have anticonvulsant properties (potential value in treating epilepsy, MS, muscle spasms etc), and recently published research has indicated CBD to be effective in reducing neurotoxic brain damage following strokes or head trauma. The proposed mechanism of action also suggests CBD may offer some protection against ecstasy-derived neurotoxicity (long-term depletion of serotonergic receptors), although this has not specifically been investigated.

FYI,
CBD is not a THC precursor, CBG is. CBN is psychoactive. CBD is not. THCA breaks down to CBNA but very very slowly in a cool dark room. Most of the THCA in herbal Cannabis will still be THCA 2 years later, little THC, little CBNA or CBN. Most of the terpenes will be gone.

-SamS

Last edited:

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aridbud,
This is becoming interesting. I'm myself looking for a strain that is generally rich in CBD, but still with a little THC. The 10:1 type sounds interesting to me. Light buzz, but not high as a kite. Struggeling with panic attacks at the moment and would like to find a mild, sedative and calming medicine.
The problem, it seems to me, is the variations inside one strain. You could plant 3 seeds of the same strain and one ends up CBD/THC 10:1, the next one 5:5 and the third will be 15:1... a lot of fluctuation. I guess you can only really count on proven phenos, but you would have to get these in clone form. something I have difficulties to get my hands on in the far-behind western european countries ( exc. spain) . The topic is a lot more evolved in the states I start to think ? ( again exc. in spain, those guys get it right for some reason!).
Or is there a strain in seedform that will produce high CBD almost always ?

Cheers,
C

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam, you are right about CBG...at times my arthritic fingers insert the incorrect letter....
From Pure Analytics....
"Cannabigerol or (CBG) is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid. It is commonly found in cannabis. CBG-acid is the precursor to both THC-acid and CBD-acid in the plant usually found at low levels (<1%) when present.
•Researchers have demonstrated both pain relieving and inflammation reducing effects.
•CBG reduces intraocular pressure, associated with glaucoma.
•CBG has been shown to have antibiotic properties and to inhibit platelet aggregation, which slows the rate of blood clotting."

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Have tried CBD Crew - Critical Mass.

Smells and taste funny and with a minimun stone.

I find that when your looking for some type of health benefit from cannabis then smoking high CBD is not going to do it but eating it will be far more effective to what hurts..Stay frosty headband 707:biggrin:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aridbud,
This is becoming interesting. I'm myself looking for a strain that is generally rich in CBD, but still with a little THC. The 10:1 type sounds interesting to me. Light buzz, but not high as a kite. Struggeling with panic attacks at the moment and would like to find a mild, sedative and calming medicine.
The problem, it seems to me, is the variations inside one strain. You could plant 3 seeds of the same strain and one ends up CBD/THC 10:1, the next one 5:5 and the third will be 15:1... a lot of fluctuation. I guess you can only really count on proven phenos, but you would have to get these in clone form. something I have difficulties to get my hands on in the far-behind western european countries ( exc. spain) . The topic is a lot more evolved in the states I start to think ? ( again exc. in spain, those guys get it right for some reason!).
Or is there a strain in seedform that will produce high CBD almost always ?

Cheers,
C

Exactly, Chevy- variations, is one of my concerns although read up on CBD Crew...5:5 ratio THC:CBD, A tad skeptical of those "saying" they have high CBD when it's a kush and no percentages/support behind it.

After the 60 Minutes interview with the Colorado bros on "Charlotte's Web"/epileptic little girl, I haven't contacted to see about procuring a clone. I'm sure they are swamped with requests for clones. Thanks, Jhhnn.

Agreed, Spain has it going on!! Israel seems to be much in the forefront for medicinal properties/research. It's great to read about the changes going on of 'naturopathics'...plant based medicine. Times, they are a changin'!!

Thanks, one and all, for input and where to find specific seed companies/strains! Appreciate it. ;o)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh yeah, headband...one of my favorite ways is graham crackers spread with Nutella (heated in micro wave about 10 seconds to warm it or the stove) infused with kief or ground up bud topping with another graham cracker, making a 'finger sandwich'. Only takes a 1/4 of the cracker....the adult version of a s'more! And, of course, sauces (spaghetti, chile, soup, etc.), sweets...brownies, cookies, et.al.

Chevy cHaze

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does that get you really high? or just mellow? I'm only familiar with butter, not the raw plant ...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does that get you really high? or just mellow? I'm only familiar with butter, not the raw plant ...
As you probably know, ingesting is a different sensation than smoke/vape. I found it to be mellow buzz, long lasting to manage pain. I've not eaten more than one cracker at a time. Possibly more than one, you get a BIG buzz.