What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are ACE 'pure' strains really pure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ignignokt

Hi ACEers,

I just was curious about some ACE strains that are in the 'pure' part of their catalog, curious if they are really pure?

I thought i read somewhere that ACE strains are not actually landrace strains but are hybrids of some sort.... idk where i read it or if it is even accurate.

Also, i noticed on the site it says pure/stabilized, if they are stabilized what does that involve?

I'm just interested in trying some pure landrace African strains, that i can be assured are genuine.... ACE seems like one of the more popular vendors of this type of genetics.

At the moment i am looking at Ethiopian and Malawi, but want to be sure they aren't hybrids, thanks for any opinions. :ying:

R

red23

Hi ACEers,

I just was curious about some ACE strains that are in the 'pure' part of their catalog, curious if they are really pure?

I thought i read somewhere that ACE strains are not actually landrace strains but are hybrids of some sort.... idk where i read it or if it is even accurate.

Also, i noticed on the site it says pure/stabilized, if they are stabilized what does that involve?

I'm just interested in trying some pure landrace African strains, that i can be assured are genuine.... ACE seems like one of the more popular vendors of this type of genetics.

At the moment i am looking at Ethiopian and Malawi, but want to be sure they aren't hybrids, thanks for any opinions. :ying:
What are your expectations,Ace Seeds aside, from a pure landrace?:)

clearheaded

Hi ACEers,

go to phylos galaxy. look up ace...

I

Ignignokt

What are your expectations,Ace Seeds aside, from a pure landrace?:)

TBH i don't really know.... i don't have any specific expectations, other than to experience some pure landrace genetics to see for myself.

R

red23

TBH i don't really know.... i don't have any specific expectations, other than to experience some pure landrace genetics to see for myself.
A lot of the guys in here have invested a lot of time with Aces's landraces.Good reading material.Apart from that,Ace's website will help you choose a strain so long as you have a vague idea of what you are looking for in a strain/landrace, from aromas/tastes,to,even psychosomatic benefits

I

Ignignokt

A lot of the guys in here have invested a lot of time with Aces's landraces.Good reading material.Apart from that,Ace's website will help you choose a strain so long as you have a vague idea of what you are looking for in a strain/landrace, from aromas/tastes,to,even psychosomatic benefits

Yes, thanks for the response.

I guess i'm just looking for confirmation that the strains that are listed as pure landrace are infact that and haven't been hybridized at all anywhere along the line.
Something that i can make more seeds with and have them be basically the same, for future use.
The reason i have settled on Ethiopian and Malawi, so far, was for one more gentle and one more strong, extreme African sativa.
I will do some more reading in this ACE forum.

PineNuts

Finding strains that "haven't been hybridized at all anywhere along the line" is next to impossible. What you can scrutinize are genentic diversity and genetic rarity. Low diversity is characteristic of true-breeding populations (aka strains) and high rarity generally hints that a strain will exhibit unique traits. Many of ace's "pure" strains are low in genetic diversity and are high in genetic rarity. Definitely check out the Phylos Galaxy.

I

Ignignokt

Finding strains that "haven't been hybridized at all anywhere along the line" is next to impossible. What you can scrutinize are genentic diversity and genetic rarity. Low diversity is characteristic of true-breeding populations (aka strains) and high rarity generally hints that a strain will exhibit unique traits. Many of ace's "pure" strains are low in genetic diversity and are high in genetic rarity. Definitely check out the Phylos Galaxy.

Thanks for your comment, very interesting....
I only recently took interest in trying to get some pure landrace genetics, (if it was even possible or worthwhile), and i can see that it's a rabbit hole that i will have to explore slowly.
I checked the Phylos Galaxy briefly but i will have a deeper look soon. :)

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Honestly, I think that among the various seedbanks, both among the most honest, over the years I have seen Dubi apologize for rare herms and replace the seeds (unlike "someone" who has always blamed the grower), and I think it is the only seedbank that has not made any problems if the buyers make cross with other strains, indeed, I have always seen curiosity (in a positive sense) for the results of these crosses...
Returning to the original question, yes, I believe that "pure" strains are really "pure", in the sense that ACE has not hybridized them, but it is possible that something has been "contaminated" before they received them ....

therevverend

Veteran
None of Ace's 'landraces' are really landraces. I'm not trying to be a troll or rip on Ace, I have a lot of respect for what they do and for Dubi. The definition of Landrace is quite narrow it is:

a local cultivar or animal breed that has been improved by traditional agricultural methods.

Dubi has said plenty of times they've bred and selected for traits to make their strains flower quicker, less prone to sexual reversal, and more manageable for indoor growing and the casual grower. These are not bad things there are very few growers who want to mess with landraces. In my opinion most of what Ace and also Cannabiogen have been improvements.

It is annoying to me in the same way terms like Indica (Wide leaf drug) and Sativa (narrow leaf drug) are used incorrectly. But it's really much worse. It's reaching the point where any plant that shows sativa characteristics is called a landrace.

As landraces become more and more rare and it becomes more essential to preserve them it's damaging to call all Narrow leaf drug varieties 'landraces'. Two or more NLD strains mixed together are not rare. Haze is a good example. It is not a landrace.

Here's the description of Bangi Haze from Ace's Website:

Bangi Haze is one the most stabilized landrace sativa hybrids in our collection. It is a fast flowering and easy to grow sativa that produces dense flowers, full of generous trichomes, with a sweet, floral, lemony and anisette aroma[/QUOTE

Bangi Haze has been developed in Galicia, one of the coldest and rainiest areas in Spain, and subsequently stabilized a few generations for indoor growing.

Unless it was grown in Galicia long enough to adapt to the local climate with open pollination every year it is not a landrace.

One of the only places you can find true landrace seeds is The Real Seed Company. They actually source their seeds from the area of origin most of the time. That is what a landrace is, the seeds must be sourced from Africa or Asia or Central America or wherever. One generation selective breeding in the West means it's not a landrace.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
None of Ace's 'landraces' are really landraces. I'm not trying to be a troll or rip on Ace, I have a lot of respect for what they do and for Dubi. The definition of Landrace is quite narrow it is:

Dubi has said plenty of times they've bred and selected for traits to make their strains flower quicker, less prone to sexual reversal, and more manageable for indoor growing and the casual grower. These are not bad things there are very few growers who want to mess with landraces. In my opinion most of what Ace and also Cannabiogen have been improvements.

It is annoying to me in the same way terms like Indica (Wide leaf drug) and Sativa (narrow leaf drug) are used incorrectly. But it's really much worse. It's reaching the point where any plant that shows sativa characteristics is called a landrace.

As landraces become more and more rare and it becomes more essential to preserve them it's damaging to call all Narrow leaf drug varieties 'landraces'. Two or more NLD strains mixed together are not rare. Haze is a good example. It is not a landrace.

Here's the description of Bangi Haze from Ace's Website:

Bangi Haze is one the most stabilized landrace sativa hybrids in our collection. It is a fast flowering and easy to grow sativa that produces dense flowers, full of generous trichomes, with a sweet, floral, lemony and anisette aroma[/QUOTE

Unless it was grown in Galicia long enough to adapt to the local climate with open pollination every year it is not a landrace.

One of the only places you can find true landrace seeds is The Real Seed Company. They actually source their seeds from the area of origin most of the time. That is what a landrace is, the seeds must be sourced from Africa or Asia or Central America or wherever. One generation selective breeding in the West means it's not a landrace.
I am agree about landrace,
The term has been used improperly, however it is appreciable that they have not resorted to skunk to shorten the flowering period or stabilize certain traits ... With the pure term I referred to this, not hybrid

I

Ignignokt

I guess i think of a landrace/pure as a strain that grows in the wild in a certain area,
and landrace/pure seeds, as any recombination of parents within that genepool.

But i'm not sure if that's correct?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
go to phylos galaxy. look up ace...

Phylos does not determine what is landrace.
Nor do they determine the purity of a line.
All they can do is show how their algorithm compares two or more different plants.
They cant determine what is pure Colombian, real Chem91, real Sour D.

Remember, Phylos is a business.

Plants dont lie. People, especially business people, do.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran

Sad, but True...
I have been growing this plant for a short time, maybe twenty years, and my passion often pushes me to inform me about the various strain ... and sadly I often discover that the names change but the genetics is that ...
It is all marketing and quarrels (real or presumed) between breeders

PinTac

Phylos does not determine what is landrace.
Nor do they determine the purity of a line.
All they can do is show how their algorithm compares two or more different plants.
They cant determine what is pure Colombian, real Chem91, real Sour D.

Remember, Phylos is a business.

How can't Phylos determine what is pure colobian real Chem91 and so on?

In general I guess you can define something on its similarities and differences to other things.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
How can't Phylos determine what is pure colobian real Chem91 and so on?

In general I guess you can define something on its similarities and differences to other things.

Because Phylos does not test the genetic code of the plant.
They only compare terpene and cannabinoid profiles.
So, the same plant grown under different conditions will result as a different plant.

W

Water-

Because Phylos does not test the genetic code of the plant.
They only compare terpene and cannabinoid profiles.
So, the same plant grown under different conditions will result as a different plant.

not true.

stop making things up again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts