What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panama x Malawi - limited edition

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks b8man!

So happy to hear that Panama x Malawi worked so well for you :huggg:

Wish you find equally interesting females in the remaining 3 seeds.

I've been smoking PanaMal every day for a while now and it's still my favorite (and is getting better with age). Depression, anxiety, stress all completely dissolved over the last few months and it feels like more than a correlation. It's been so good that for the first time in my 20 years of growing I'm running the same strain two years running. So the remaining three seeds were germinated (so 100% germ!) and will be put into flowering in a week or so. Thanks again Ace for such a quality product.

I adore everything about this strain!

Koondense

Veteran
Panalawi clone

A couple weeks ago
picture.php

Fresh pic
picture.php

Cheers

canna.ballistic

I harvested my Panama x Malawi at just over 10 weeks at the start of May. This correlates (in the southern hemisphere) with Dubi's comments in his first post of this thread for maturity at the end of October / start of November for outdoor grows in the northern hemisphere.

Overall an easy-going plant ... puts on good quick growth and only had low nutrient demands. Nice structure and shape with strong branches. Large calyxes with low leaf ratio (very easy and quick to trim), and a dense coverage of big trichomes.

The only issue was the plant did suffer from a couple of bouts of bud-rot. The first was only mild at about week 6, and was caused by budworms ... however the plant responded quickly to killing the budworms with BT spray, and then using potassium bicarbonate to knock back the bud-rot.

However, the bud-rot came back again in week 9 after a couple of weeks of wet humid weather, and about 10% to 15% of buds were lost prior to harvesting.

The bud-rot at the end of the grow was not surprising as the buds had become very fat and dense ... not optimum for the subtropics, but I would expect this plant to perform very well in a drier climate or indoors.

The terpene profile by harvest-time had evolved into a sweet lemony woody aroma. A couple of cobs were made from the buds, with the remainder currently curing for a few months.

A photo of one of the lower branches a couple of days before harvest ...
picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats also on your Panama x Malawi harvest canna.ballistic :)

You are right, the big and dense flowering structure and appealing terpenes of this hybrid can be quite attractive for budworms, so it's important to inspect the plants carefully outdoors, especially in the second half of flowering during rains.

Glad to hear the loss due to botrytis was not that bad at all.
Wish you enjoy a lot your well deserved harvest ;)
Thanks a lot for sharing your feedback with all of us!

I harvested my Panama x Malawi at just over 10 weeks at the start of May. This correlates (in the southern hemisphere) with Dubi's comments in his first post of this thread for maturity at the end of October / start of November for outdoor grows in the northern hemisphere.

Overall an easy-going plant ... puts on good quick growth and only had low nutrient demands. Nice structure and shape with strong branches. Large calyxes with low leaf ratio (very easy and quick to trim), and a dense coverage of big trichomes.

The only issue was the plant did suffer from a couple of bouts of bud-rot. The first was only mild at about week 6, and was caused by budworms ... however the plant responded quickly to killing the budworms with BT spray, and then using potassium bicarbonate to knock back the bud-rot.

However, the bud-rot came back again in week 9 after a couple of weeks of wet humid weather, and about 10% to 15% of buds were lost prior to harvesting.

The bud-rot at the end of the grow was not surprising as the buds had become very fat and dense ... not optimum for the subtropics, but I would expect this plant to perform very well in a drier climate or indoors.

The terpene profile by harvest-time had evolved into a sweet lemony woody aroma. A couple of cobs were made from the buds, with the remainder currently curing for a few months.

A photo of one of the lower branches a couple of days before harvest ...
View Image

b8man

Veteran
Thanks Dubi!

Cut two of them at 13 weeks - about 20% clear, 10% amber and 70% cloudy trichomes.

One of the plants lost about 25% to budrot - it was painful to find and I'm beating myself up for not spotting it sooner. Overnight the hairs on the largest cola all turned orange and the bud itself started to look darker. Then over the next week the leaves started to show signs of infection and the largest cola started to pack on insane amounts of trichomes. It might have been a defence mechanism from the plant - never seen it happen before. But most of that bud was binned :cry: . Still got plenty of well developed buds harvested - pix when they're dry.

Now just one plant is getting it's last week. Should be getting 14.5 weeks in the end. This one has an earthy smell I haven't encountered before and is trying to make a huge cola even though it's been on plain water for the last two weeks. Should be interesting. :biggrin:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
My seed last winter failed to sprout. I'm giving another go now though and we have a happy sprout. :)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi b8man,

Sorry to hear about the loss of some flowers due to mold in late flowering in one of your Panama x Malawi plants. Both Panama and Malawi are very high yielders by themselves, and the Panama x Malawi F1 hybrid produces even bigger yields due to heterosis/hybrid vigor.

To breed for very big and dense floral structures leads inevitably to more sensibility against botrytis, but certainly some individuals of the hybrid tolerate better the botrytis infections. With very big yielding hybrids of this kind it's very important to examine the inner part of the flower structures in late flowering and to provide them constant clean and dry air flow in late flowering to avoid such problems, even maybe consider to harvest slightly earlier despite they could be reflowering, although i'm sure you are fully aware of this. Anyway, i hope you managed to harvest a bountiful harvest of high quality sativa flowers such as this hybrid offers.

Wish the latest plant did great, your pics are always more than welcome! :)

b8man

Veteran
Hi Dubi

Been meaning to post, just been very busy lately. But summers over now so....

I'm really enjoying the latest three plants of the Panama x Malawi (Panamal) - they all share most of the traits of my first harvest and it absolutely remains my go to strain. Yield was still more than enough to keep me going for literally years - it's definitely a huge yielder (just needs humidity control - ahem).

This time I let them go as long as I could, which was just over 14wks on the longer flowering pheno, 12 weeks for the others. The main difference between taking them longer is a more rounded effect which feels a little less intense in the head and a little more stoney high. By 12 weeks two of the three were done - one with solid Panama growth and one with large foxtailing colas of sweet, crystally, beady buds. The smell of sweet bubblegum coming off one pheno has been a surprise - though it's curing to something much more complex, I didn't expect to get those flavors in the mix.

I'd highly recommend this strain for those who like sativas but are sensitive to anxiety. All phenos that I ran were very pleasant experiences and not uncomfortable for me at all - just a nice little push on your way and a reason to put a smile on your face. They provided generous pain relief for minor aches and an appreciable twist to the routine of the day.

General smoke report of the better pheno from last year but very similar to the new phenos : I find it starts with a wave of physical relaxation spreading out from my shoulders. My aches and pains become distant and easily ignored, then I start to appreciate all the good things in my life. This is some really good life affirming weed! My head is clear and my mind starts to wander, often exploring pretty abstract issues and logically, clearly planning projects to get to in the future. At this point I almost always take a step back and say something along the lines of "this is REALLY good weed" before pasting a smile on my face and getting down to doing something. Very high, quite stoned.

Relaxing, calm, painkilling, meditative, great for music appreciation - both listening to and playing, up, a mood brightener, anti-depressant. And also GREAT sex weed! Smells are floral/rose/red wine/raisins (3/5), lemon (1/5), sweet bubblegum developing into something else (1/5)

Really great strain! The pictures don't do it justice. Hope others can get to try this one.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Excellent smoke report b8man :huggg:
Glad to hear this strain makes you feel so good, enhancing, pleasant, smiley and contributing with positiveness to your mental state and activities, yet without being anxious or depressant.

Panama x Malawi is more Panama dominant, and the complex and elaborated terpenes you comment (lemony, bubblegum, rose ...) come from the Panama side rather than Malawi.

Wish you enjoy your well deserved harvest in the upcoming months :tiphat:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Quick pic of one of the colas on my small plant. She is starting to fade and ripen...another two or three weeks maybe. I haven't tended this plant as much as I should have perhaps, due to time constraints this fall, but it should be good for an ounce or so to sample the strain.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Have any of you who have had a chance to grow this strain come across any fasciated individuals? Does that trait come from panama or malawi? I just came back from visiting a friend who has one early in flower that has four or five main branches and two of which are fasciated. The branch looks like two stems fused together, with a flatter look rather than typical round appearance.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Mine was very normal looking with robust stem typical of the Panama crosses.

Very potent smoke. I'm just starting to sample her and she is deliciously sweet smoking.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi robotwithdreams,

To be honest, we have never found any fasciated plant in the Panama x Malawi F1 fem hybrid and we grew hundreds in 2018, neither in Malawi or Panama, bu it's a rare trait that occasionally pops up in most cannabis populations.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks TexasTea!

Pleased to hear you are enjoying so much with your Panama x Malawi!;)

Mine was very normal looking with robust stem typical of the Panama crosses.

Very potent smoke. I'm just starting to sample her and she is deliciously sweet smoking.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Panama x Malawi limited edition now also available in regular format

Panama x Malawi limited edition now also available in regular format

We have produced this year a regular version of Panama x Malawi limited edition:

https://www.aceseeds.org/en/brands/ace-seeds/panamaxmalawistandard.html

The feminized version is Panama Goddess x Malawi New Killer (reversed), while this new regular version is Panama Goddess x P3 Malawi male (brother of Malawi New Killer).

There are only a few packs left of the feminized version, in case you are interested to get some before it's sold out:

https://www.aceseeds.org/en/panamamalawifem.html

Latest posts

Latest posts