What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider mites at early stage with mid flowering plants

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
No pest strips are a nerve agent for all intents and purposes. I hope you don't live near your grow.

i dont... its in a garage loft, n the door to the loft is closed- just leaving it up their for 5days , then will store back into its bag, n then into another sealed bag... i know is nasty.... thanks

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Find some Botanigard, if your in euro, PM me and I'll direct you to the right place. Spray that, wait 4 days, then Wettable Sulfur spray, also bio, then wait 5 days and release predator mites, go hard on the mites if you are really trying to get rid of them fuckers. Id get persimillis (even tho people say it doesn't work, seem to work in the veg room, I heard they dont like 12/12 light cycle) , californicus, cucumeris, andersonis, swirskiis sachets. They usually last around a month, might need to re-order after that just to be safe.

I got rid of broad mites with a similar regimen.

Best of luck!

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I would not spray shit on my plants. As someone mentioned earlier: NO PEST STRIPS. That is your only answer.

chronic82

I’ve heard of a trick where you put a stake in every planter and have it touching the main stem. Then get a ton of oscillating fans just blowing the hell out of everything and the mites will migrate to the stake because it’s the only thing not swinging in the breeze. Then just wipe the stake down daily with some form of non toxic cleaner

chronic82

No pest strips are toxic shit. Would you really hang something next to your buds that says right on the front. Do not use in rooms occupied more then 4 hours a day?

Did someone really suggest neem and sulfur? Dude says he’s halfway through flower. Have you ever smelled neem or sulfur?

The pyrethrum bombs leave a residual. It’s not so much the pyrethrum that is in the residual it’s the propellant that shows up in tests.

If your going to spray anything flying skull nuke em is probably the most order less effective pesticide I know of that’s approved for growing cannabis

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
yeah sorry didnt see he meant middle flower, though it was begginig of flower, sulfur is ok to spray till week 2 of flower, before flowers start developing...

Spaventa

Veteran
1. Buy some gluten free pasta.
2. Cook it for 30 minutes, no salt.
3. Collect the water and alow to cool.
4. Spay your plants with it. Under leaves and everywhere.
5. Enjoy pest free gardening.

The active ingredient is starch.it glues fuckers to the spot and creates a skin over the plant. Works perfectly and completely safe right up to harvest.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
1. Buy some gluten free pasta.
2. Cook it for 30 minutes, no salt.
3. Collect the water and alow to cool.
4. Spay your plants with it. Under leaves and everywhere.
5. Enjoy pest free gardening.

The active ingredient is starch.it glues fuckers to the spot and creates a skin over the plant. Works perfectly and completely safe right up to harvest.

wow.. never heard this.... since i battle these fukers every grow, i'm trying it out...

Spaventa

Veteran
wow.. never heard this.... since i battle these fukers every grow, i'm trying it out...

500g dry weight of gluten free pasta boiled or 30 mins or more, till the water is completely opaque and slightly viscous. About the thickness of chocolate milk, roughly. 500g makes about 4 or 5 litres of end product. Apply two coats allowing the first coat to dry before applying the second. I’ve had zero problems and complete success with it on mites and thrips

ion

Spaventa...........that sounds interesting, could you elaborate on where you found this idea?

at first glance i'd be concerned about stomata closing with a film of starch, but you'da seen results of that id reckon......and is there a different way to obtain that starch besides GF pasta?

Spaventa

Veteran
Spaventa...........that sounds interesting, could you elaborate on where you found this idea?

at first glance i'd be concerned about stomata closing with a film of starch, but you'da seen results of that id reckon......and is there a different way to obtain that starch besides GF pasta?

Hi, sure. I bought a pest spray/leaf coat many years ago that actually worked. I told the hydroshop how pleased I was and was told that this gloopy stuff you mixed with water was just food grade starch.
The film it leaves it completely breathable so no problems for the plant.
The next time I went to buy some however, it was no longer available.
I tried making it with normal pasta but found it did not release that much gloop/starch.
Years later, my wife bought this healthier gluten free pasta to try and when she cooked it, I noticed that the water quickly turned milky with lots of starch being released. The pack said the pasta was made of maize. The water in the pan looked pretty much like the leaf coat did once diluted so I though I would try it.

Not only does it completely eradicate pests on the plant by glueing them up, it protects the plant from any subsequent attacks as the film makes it hard for pests to get to the plant.
Another use and feature is that it seems to prevent excess transpiration and help a dried out, underwater plant recover quickly. I found this out recently when a aero pump failed. The plants were in bad shape but a good spraying with the starch had them happy again in record time.

I have not tested any other sources of starch so I can only safely recommend the maize based pasta starch. Hth

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Spaventa, where were you a month ago when I got broad mites? lol woulda definitely gave this a shot... oh well.. maybe in the future if needed (hopefully never)! Thanks for sharing, definitely a different approach to all the suggestions around! Sounds like it could def work too!

gladysvjubb

Veteran
The objective is to kill and eliminate the pest. I have been using NO PEST STRIPS since 2004. I visit the grow room a few minutes a day and then leave. I'm 70 and still here. And chronically smoking every day. If you need help getting NO PEST STRIPS look on ebay.

Spaventa

Veteran
It definitely works as long as you cover the whole plant. I grow entirely in Aeroponics so there is nowhere for anything to hide. If I run h202 at 8ml per litre in the aero and spray the plant completely with the starch solution, no pest or disease survives, at all. It’s pretty cheap and available in any supermarket, harmless to people plants and the environment.
Spaventa, where were you a month ago when I got broad mites? lol woulda definitely gave this a shot... oh well.. maybe in the future if needed (hopefully never)! Thanks for sharing, definitely a different approach to all the suggestions around! Sounds like it could def work too!

Latest posts

Latest posts