What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New to Autoflowering. Any tips?

As far as transplanting an auto goes, I don't transplant. But what I do is use the cardboard roll from a roll of toilet paper. I put that in the center of my 2 gallon pot that I use to grow my plant. All the outer soil is a 50/50 mix of Bio-Bizz & Fox Farms Ocean Forrest. The toilet paper roll in the center has straight Bio-Biz & that is where I plant my seed. It makes the roots grow downward & the plant gets no nutrients until it reaches the bottom of the T.P. roll. Usually takes about 2 weeks. At that point I start watering all the soil instead of just watering inside the T.P. roll (water pH of 6.4). After about 6 weeks I use 1 tablespoon of molasses per gallon of water & pH to 6.4 for every watering & nothing else. I'm averaging 5 - 6 oz. per plant. Way better than the 1 - 2 oz. I use to get but still not as good as the 13 oz. the pro's get.
Right now I have 2 Huge Photo's flowering in a 4' x 8' tent (can't fit any more as they take up the entire tent). I have 1 Wipeout Express Auto in it's 4th week in a 2' x 4' tent & just started 6 more auto's (all different) last night that will get moved into the 4' x 8' tent in about 4 weeks.
The thing I found that makes the biggest difference in yield is controlling your VPD (Vapor Pressure Deficit) when growing indoors. In a room with temps above 90 F you have to add Co2 to get a nice yield or you'll get big buds with no weight & full of air (Been there / done that). Still great smoke, but what you thought was going to be 6 oz. only turns out to be 2 - 3 oz. because the buds are so light & airy. Keeping temps between 75 - 79 F with a RH between 50% - 65% is key to a good grow & harvest.
Personally, I water my photo's everyday with 1 gallon of water or nutes per plant; but I grow photo's in 10 gallon cloth pots & veg 8 weeks before switching to 12/12. My minimum yield is 10 oz. per plant.
On the Auto's I started last night I'll be using LST this time & hope to get more than 2 oz. as I haven't tried it with auto's yet. I will top 1 time also at the 4th node. Auto's are still new to me as I've only been growing them for the past 6 months so I am willing to experiment some to find out what works best.

Edit: In the last line I meant to say more than 6 oz. Mind is going faster then my typing.
2 oz. is what I got my 1st grow with auto's. This is the start of my 4th grow.