What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why are mattress's to thick now?

Sign

I bought a solid cotton batting futon then made the frame to fit out of stained hardwood sides and 4x4 legs with an OSB base over studs. It's a little overbuilt and a lot of heavy but it's comfy

kaochiu

Veteran
I don't have serious enemies. I try my best to deserve my responsabilities. I don't owe money. It means comfy mattresses are not an issue for me, 'cos i sleep like a baby even on a fakir's bed. Only last week i slept on two wooden chairs, and very often i can't be arsed to go from the sofa to the bedroom. Still, my all time favourite from all the beds i've ever slept (alone) was a japanese futon.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I've surfed coaches so much in my life - that now I sleep ok on my sofa - beds are for softies - lol

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
just got a new after waaay to many yrs......Xtra firm..13.5”.....no pillowtop bs that just heats up....my body aches daily and this is a dream for sleep........and should outlast......

sleep on.......

shithawk420

Veteran
Everyone thinks I'm wierd cause I prefer couches.just the way I am.ive got a nice queen pillow top in my room I don't use.id rather just sleep in the living room.not like I got anyone living with me so why not?

Badfishy1

How the heck do you get in and out of bed?

These new mattress are so thick, 13 inches high. Plus the boxsprings about 8". Bed frame, etc. I need a ladder!

My toilet is about 17-1/2 inches and a little short. Does it make sense to make beds higher than a toilets height?

Is anyone else wondering this? Or am I the only one, this has been bugging me for years, anyway?

Just bought a new bed and mattress's recently. Daily, I ponder this and how many back injuries will result from repetitively getting UP into bed

Because a majority of Americans are morbidly obese fat asses and sink through a standard mattress/ boxspring

St. Phatty

Maybe our Alien overlords are mini-trampoline freaks that like jumping up and down on the bed like a little kid.

Not the humanoids, but the grays.

shithawk420

Veteran
:laughing:
Oh yeah.the only bad thing about sleeping on the couch is when this guy wants to hog the couch and covers.thinks he's a lap dog and he's 80 lbs.lol I just realized he looks like Walter from Jeff Dunham in that second pic!lolyeah I know my house is messy

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Wow, he's a giant (for a pit mix). Usually pit mix takes the size down considerably. Looks like the lab genes prevailed in yours. Did you get him at a rescue? I assume they have dog rescue in California.

I trained dogs and did AKC competition for about 15 years and just quit this year since I am moving. Every pit I ever trained (except one) was sweet, gentle and very easy to train. Labs almost go without saying. Of the hundreds of labs I trained, not one single one was mean. Some were pretty damn stupid... LOL but all had good dispositions.

Other than being a rock and roll star (LOL) the most fun I ever had was working with dogs. We did a photo shoot for American Greetings a few years back. They were doing Thanksgiving cards and needed a 'pumpkin' colored dog. We were there for 6 hours and he was paid $300. LMAO I still have copies of the check and the pics framed on the wall. Here is the one they picked to go on a Thanksgiving card....

Attachments

• HackerAmGreet-3.jpg
    HackerAmGreet-3.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 13

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I have one of those adjustable beds, a stoner luxury perfect for curling up in bed, getting high and watching TV or reading, all while being cradled in return-to-the-womb like comfort.

Sleeping well however is another matter. The foam mattress gets hot and sticky in the night but mainly it's the thought of the cost, you'd think that once the bed was paid for there would be no recurring cost but you would be wrong!

They 'get you' with the remote control, it only lasts 2 yrs. max and cost $160 to replace, that's $80 per year!!!

I'm a victim of planned obsolescence, they have me hooked (my bed loves me, I need my bed) and they know it.:gaga:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
One word..... waterbed.

I miss mine so much and I will definitely get a new one once I get moved. Always warm in the Winter and cool in the Summer. Always comfortable and nothing better in the world for sexing. ;)

shithawk420

Veteran
Wow, he's a giant (for a pit mix). Usually pit mix takes the size down considerably. Looks like the lab genes prevailed in yours. Did you get him at a rescue? I assume they have dog rescue in California.

I trained dogs and did AKC competition for about 15 years and just quit this year since I am moving. Every pit I ever trained (except one) was sweet, gentle and very easy to train. Labs almost go without saying. Of the hundreds of labs I trained, not one single one was mean. Some were pretty damn stupid... LOL but all had good dispositions.

Other than being a rock and roll star (LOL) the most fun I ever had was working with dogs. We did a photo shoot for American Greetings a few years back. They were doing Thanksgiving cards and needed a 'pumpkin' colored dog. We were there for 6 hours and he was paid $300. LMAO I still have copies of the check and the pics framed on the wall. Here is the one they picked to go on a Thanksgiving card....

I got him 7 years ago from a neighbor in Georgia.i picked him out of 8.believe it or not he was the runt.hes a great dog and not a mean bone in his body.hed be useless if I got robbed.but he's great and I love him.still fast as lightning

Fucking waterbeds fucked my back up.dont plan on ever owning one again.im still on my couch

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I got a BeautyRest a few years ago...I really like it. Really firm and really conforms to my body. Way higher than my toilet. It's like waist high.

Mr. J

Used to live in a culture were people slept on bamboo mats laid over wood planks.
Back problems were unusual.
In this culture mattresses and box springs are the norm.
Back problems are the most common medical complaint.
I think it's the chairs. I rarely use a chair, more comfortable in a deep squat or sitting cross legged. Sitting in a chair for hours at a time is bad, very unnatural position.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I'll be the expert on this. I use two pedestals stacked up for my king size no-slosh heated waterbed. Twice as high. So easy to get in and out of. A kush smokers dream.

I made the frame in 1983 when I came back from serving overseas. I think this is the 5th or more mattress.
Ruby 1000 mattress FTW.

Aw the notches I coulda carved in that old frame... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts