What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carolina Reaper HOT Pepper

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know at least a couple of us here on ICmag are growing the Carolina Reaper hot pepper, so thought I would make a thread for us all to share our experiences and pics of the plants/peppers.
I myself was gifted a very small seedling back in june and it's been transplanted into a large pot and has established now... it's about 8 inches tall, LOTS of nodes, no flowers yet....

picture.php

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Cool, (well not really, haha)................what zone are you in out of curiosity? Do you still think there is enough season left to get fruit? I may try them next year if I can find seeds.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'm in Colorado & i doubt there is time this season to make fruit (but look forward to being suprised!); plan on bringing it inside and putting under lites.

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
Dope Im just about finnished with my jolokia girl...talk about heat...whats the backstory on the Carolina reaper?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fellow Reaper grower here and I got my seeds direct from Ed Currie. I've found other capsaicin varieties rather easy to grow - the Reaper took a bit more effort and patience. The seeds took 2 months to germinante - and were quite slow to grow...but the patience has paid off. I expect I'll see fruit on oldest one this season.

I've got several growing at different ages - so I'll just share my biggest / most mature one which is in a 3 gallon planter.

7/22 - plant was about 4 inches tall and just starting to show secondary growth tips.

picture.php

9/9 - plant is about 22" tall from the top of the soil - but looks like it will be very productive.

picture.php

And of course - these plants like anything I grow are in a fully amended organic soil...being given nothing but water.

Really excited to try the world's hottest peppers!!! Look forward to seeing others share theirs.

Thanks for starting this Avi! :respect:

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@MoneyMike - Carolina Reaper is a worked cross between Pakistani Dorset Naga and a Carribean Red Habanero from what I understand - made in South Carolina by Ed Currie. Was officially crowned world's hottest last November. Check out PuckerButt Pepper Company for seeds.

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I ordered mine almost a year ago... germinated a bunch and gave em away.... a few round June I reckon... LOL

I've gotten 6 day germs... I've gotten 60 day germs... they can be a fickle bunch.

I kept one indoor, but I still have 2 more seed packs....
humidity and heat are helpful, but if you want a more rapid germ, freeze the seeds for 2 days before planting... trust me on this.
At least refrigerate em a few days if yer scared of the freezer.

2014_09_09_1_acbc591f606207275439_3.jpg

2014_09_09_1_acbc591f606207275439_4.jpg

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
The Carolina Reaper is a hybrid cultivar of chili pepper of the Capsicum chinense species, originally named the "HP22B", bred by cultivator Ed Currie, who runs PuckerButt Pepper Company in Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States. It's the world's hottest hybrid pepper.
The original cross was a red naga pepper and a red savina pepper. The "Carolina Reaper" was rated as the world's hottest chili pepper by Guinness World Records according to 2012 tests, averaging 1,569,300 on the Scoville scale with peak levels of over 2,200,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU).
The previous record-holder was the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T.

[/copypasta]

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm hoping to have mature peppers by middle of November - fingers crossed!

dank.Frank

Betterhaff

Veteran
Don’t take this wrong as I’m also a pepperhead but what the heck do you do with these things? I’ve grown all sorts of hotties…habs, bonnets, tepins, rocotos, bhuts, scorpions, etc… I used to grow all flavors of habs and bonnets and always ended up with way more than I could ever use, even after giving tons away. I still grow some but not as many as I used to. I use them in cooking and making hot sauces but a little usually goes a long way.

How do you guys use your hotties, especially the bhuts, scorpions and the focus of this thread, the reaper?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of the main reasons I wanted to play around with them was to utilize them as a form of intergrated pest managemnet on plants - or to keep wild animals and vermin away from the veggie garden or outdoor guerilla cannabis patches by spraying the surrounding area...many, many things are sensitive to capsaicin.

Another - was to incorporate into topical ointments to help with joint pain relief - and figured mixed in some combination with cannabis topicals, it could be rather useful.

Aside from that...to eat...of course!!!

dank.Frank

Betterhaff

Veteran
I could see the potential benefits of using it as a repellant, wasn’t the Indian army experimenting with bhut juice as an armament?

Is there any skin irritation if using as a topical or would you be using very low concentrations?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm growing them for Integrated Pest Management (ipm) primarily, but also plan on giving some to a few of my super "foody" friends who will no doubt create some amazing dish with them...
i had ghost pepper carmelized bacon (medicated) several months back.... just the right amount of heat

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking great avinash et al. :)

I'm in the same boat as dank.frank. I've been twiddling my thumbs waiting for ripening, should make a great addition to the Christmas dinner.... XD

BluesHarp

Seems like every other year there's a new "Worlds Hottest Pepper"....All are too hot for me to enjoy personally....