What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving plants outdoors

therevverend

Veteran
That should be a good pot size. They could outgrow the containers, if that's the case you can always transplant.

My biggest mistake as an indoor grower moving outside was underfeeding and underwatering. For years I was growing big healthy plants outside. No deficiencies. I was happy with what I was doing.

Then I saw what the Californians do. They were pumping them. Top dressing the container plants with chicken manure, bone meal, potassium, magnesium, fish guts, heavy nitrogen, molasses, every few days. I couldn't believe it. And the plants responded, grew like hell.

The light intensity is so much greater outside. As an indoor grower you're following exact formulas so your plants don't burn. Outdoor plants are super energized. Much harder to overfeed and burn.

When it gets hot out you can give them a lot more water too. I used to do it like indoors, lift the container to see if they were thirsty. Wait until the top of the plant was just starting to droop. Now I hit them before the container is empty. If the leaves are starting to wilt I've been under watering.

The weather also plays a factor. In New England I'd guess you get rainy breaks, a few days at a time. May want to cut back on water and watch for stem rot during those periods. But be sure to check. I've had plants that got all the water they needed from summer rainstorms and other plants that'd be bone dry even though it had been pouring rain for 3 days.

Michael49

...When it gets hot out you can give them a lot more water too. I used to do it like indoors, lift the container to see if they were thirsty. Wait until the top of the plant was just starting to droop. Now I hit them before the container is empty. If the leaves are starting to wilt I've been under watering.

Update.....plants are growing well.

I had to cover them due to attack by chipmunks believe it or not!!! - they did a number on my plants!!

Only feeding them Roots Organic Buddha Grow / Trinity at the moment.

Its almost 100 degrees out there today!! We are having a crazy heat wave.

Given the heat wave how often do you think I should be watering (20 gallon pots)?

picture.php

Michael49

let them tell you they want water

Thanks - just wait for a bit of drooping?

I usually feed my indoor grow plants weekly - is this enough for outdoor plants? My plants are in Coast of Maine Stonington Blend and lobster compost which is pretty nutrient rich soil.

Latest posts

Latest posts