What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

QWISO: Single batch of Iso for multiple jars of bud?

clown baby

I've started making relatively larger batches of QWISO lately, and have been going through a ton of isopropyl alcohol. Been going by the forum adages of "fill the jar just past the buds". That comes out to about a liter of isopropyl per quart jar of buds. If I run a pound, I'm looking at roughly 12 liters. This is taking longer than id like to evaporate. Which begs the question:

Can you run the same batch of isopropyl through multiple batches of flowers?

Most answers I've seen before say no, that you'll get too much chlorophyll extraction. But I question that logic.

Let's assume that a 30 second rinse in a quart jar of flower picks up (for ease of measurement), 100mg of plant waxes / chlorophyll / undesirables. So, let's say you're running 3 jars. You end up with 3 liters of Iso, picking up 100mg of plant wax each.

How would that be any different than running the same liter of Iso through all three quart jars? It's still only 30 seconds of exposure per quart jar, which should mean only 100mg of plant wax/chlorophyll each.

The only difference I see is that in the first scenario, you have 300mg dissolved into 3 liters of Iso to evaporate, versus the second scenario where you have the same 300mg dissolved into only 1 liter of Iso.

The only risk I see would be reaching the saturation point of THC or terpenes in the Iso. But I can't imagine that happening, even if running a single liter of Iso through a dozen quart jars of flower.

Anyone with experience care to chime in?

If I cant cut down on Iso volume I'm going to have to start kiefing my flowers and then making iso with that.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you pour the ISO through activated carbon to remove chlorophyl/terpenes?

Maple_Flail

Dry Ice Sift or Dry sift at 90u-120u (or larger depending on the size of trichs in question and the brittleness of the plant matter)

then Iso wash that. you don't want to re wash with the same ISO as there will be a finite limit to how much the iso can absorb and you will only get extra chlorophyll at that point

you don't want to remove the terps, just chlorophyll. remove it before you process with ISO there will be less Chlorophyll in the mixture to absorb.

by doing it this way you could likely get your total Iso for a 1lb run to some where between 1 litre and 4 litres depending how well you can manage the fine particles.

Sasati

I am not sure if i fully understand this chlorophyll extraction.. I had a jar of buds that i kind of forgot in the ISO for over a week. After the filtration, all the buds were still beautiful green. Shouldn't the ISO dilute the chloro from the plant material in that time completely? I don't know how can it be still lush green if there is so much chloro in the ISO after a week?

But just to be sure, i am using that oil with coconut, transferring all the goods in oil with water method. So now i have a 0.5kg of coconut oil with just over 5ml of ISO-extracted oil in it. All the chloro probably is diluted in the water.

I also have an liter of ISO with about 2oz of bud still in it, been there since early february. I'll filter it in a couple of days. If the chlorophyll is extracted, the buds should be somewhat of a different color?

I have noticed that 12-18 months of regular strong alcohol dilutes all the green from the buds. Isn't this the process of extracting chloro?

Can someone enlighten me?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Use ethanol. It doesn't cause tissue damage that builds over time like ISO.

@Sasati Acohol won't strip all of the chlorophyll from a plant, only up to the point the alcohol is saturated and cannot absorb any more. With home extractions, you'll always get the highest quality with shorter washes of fresh alcohol. The disappearance of chlorophyll from your 12-18mo soak is due to chlorophyll naturally breaking down to colors of brown.

Maple_Flail

well, Depending on how your long soak was stored, If it was in the freezer the rate at which chlorophyll is absorbed into ISO/etoh is greatly reduced

But for this length of time I would assume the iso is fully saturated and cannot hold anymore of anything.

Personally, I decarb before extracting. So the bud kinda look like dregs from a vaporizer prior to putting in the iso, Much of chlorophyll A is burned of during the decarb process whatever is left is generally rather static due to the sub freezing temps used. The chlorophyll b that is left is extracted to a yellow/amber ish color, for all intents and purposes its taste isn't as strong and it has some beneficial properties. The use is intended for medical and health reasons. If it were intended to be combusted then it would be treated differently.

If you are planning on using water at the end, and have a fairly lowish amount used. i would agree with Mr. Doulas.Curtis Go with Ethanol.

The reason there is still green left on the bud is the same reason more than one wash is always recommended

Latest posts

Latest posts