What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

jade vine (Strongylodon Macrobotrys)

dill786

nice pics...

vine is really woody like a oak tree.. hard to believe its from the same family as the kidney bean /legumes etc..

cutant

Persephone,

If you do not keep humidity over 90% and maintain the soil temperature at 20 - 22 degrees centigrade the you will not get better rates than that. Remember this is a vine originating from the Philippines - so you have to get those weather conditions. Try closing the cuttings in large plastic bags and if you can get a soil warming cable to warm the underneath of the pots you should improve your success rate.

dill786

Dill786,
Do not throw the seeds away - you can still save them. Get a 2% hydrogen peroxide solution and put the seeds in it. Make sure all seeds are covered with the solution. Leave in a dark place for 24 hours. The container should be closed but not airtight. After that put the seeds in the soil immediately. When you water the soil to keep it damp, use the peroxide solution. Keep doing this until all seeds sprout.

hi,

thanks for the advice, but its way too late, the seeds started to smell really bad, so i took one out of the pot and gave it a squeeze and it just mushed up in my hands.

dill786

an update..

i just like to thanks username "Persephone" for sending me a jade vine stem..

here it is in the box all the way from OZ to UK.

long stem with the leaves still on

i am using miracle grow as the growing medium

i cut them in 5 inch stems and then with some of them i stripped the bottom of the stem and dipped them in rooting hormone..

dill786

they are NOW under a 400 watt HPS light in the cupboard, i put the seedling pots in clear plastic boxes, the temps area round 35c, i dont know about the humidity though.... may take around 2 weeks to show any sign of them rooting so ill keep my eye on them and report back when something interesting happens.....

cutant

Best of luck dill786. I would have soaked them in 2% hydrogen peroxide before planting and used sterilized soil. From what I read the seeds are not hard to germinate provided you give them plenty of moisture and keep them at a tropical temperature (above 22 degrees centigrade). So I suggest you try keep the pots warmer. My concern is that these came with mould already - that will continue to attack the seeds and infect the soil. I suggest you use 2% peroxide solution to soak the soil a couple of times. It won't harm the seeds at all.
I am still searching for seeds or cuttings myself. help anyone?

cutant

Hi Dill just realized you got cuttings so apologies for my previous post on seeds. Cuttings look fine. 35C temperature is too much. You may end up drying them with low humidity before they can grow roots. I would not keep the temp. above 25C. Try if you can do this - right temp. is critical. About humidity - using a plastic bag is a good idea - except that you need to sterilize the bag and open it for 30 min. every day to avoid mould. You can increase humidity by putting in a small cup with water inside. Persephone if you want to trade with cuttings let me know. I am still searching. No luck so far.

dill786

thanks cutant. yep the seeds moulded...

the cuttings are at a stable temp of around 25c now. the cuttings are in a plastic tupperware box, i keep them under a diff light now (tube lights) 120 watts.

in the back of my head i keep wondering if the stems are too long and maybe i should have cut them back to just 3 inches instead of around 5 inches, its a bit late now !!!!

i leave the lights on 24/7. i check every night to see if the soil is still moist which it is..

cutant

Hi Dill,
From your pictures I notice that you left some stem above the last node. for a perfect cutting that extra stem should be cut out. any useless stem can only rot and introduce infection. I would have cut an inch above the node. The total length of the stem should contain no more then 3 nodes. Planting should be 2 nodes in the ground and one above. 25C is the best temp. but make sure you have plenty of humidity. put a cup of water inside that should do the trick. The plastic box should be covered with a mist of tiny droplets in the morning. That means you have reached over 90% humidity. Do not fret to keep the soil too moist - you do not want stem or root rot. Just a little damp to the touch is OK. About rooting hormone - there is a big debate on it. As for myself I only use it on cuttings difficult to root. In this case I would not bother. The problem with rooting hormone is that if you use too much (and how much is too much?) it will inhibit rooting. The only sure advantage is that some of the commercial powders contain an antifungal which may prevent stem infection from the cut. Do not forget to leave the plastic box open for half an hour every day - that should keep any mould away. If you notice mould forming just get a bottle of 2% hydrogen peroxide solution from the chemist and use a spray bottle to mist all surfaces including the cuttings. Remember you are trying to create a tropical climate. So high humidity + warm temp. = mould galore. Keep me posted - this is getting interesting!

dill786

thanks cutent.

on some websites it says they can root in 10 days if all goes well. but on the kew website it says up to 6 weeks..

jade vine has been successfully propagated from nodal cuttings at Kew. A small slice is made at the node at the end of the cutting to encourage callus development. A potting mixture containing 50% perlite is used initially, but the cuttings are then placed in richer compost after rooting has occurred. Bottom heat is provided and the cuttings are kept in a transparent plastic bag to prevent them from drying out. Rooting is easily achieved within six weeks. July is the best time to take cuttings at Kew, as the parent plant will have put on plenty of growth at that time. If several cuttings are to be taken from a long piece of stem, it is essential to mark the top and bottom of the stem to avoid confusion and ensure that the cuttings are placed the right way up in the compost.

After about 18 months, the new plants will have produced several metres of growth. They need to achieve plenty of vegetative growth in order to flower. It is thought that they should be kept under glass in humid conditions at around 20-30 °C, but Kew is experimenting with some plants in cooler, drier conditions.
http://www.kew.org/plants-fungi/Strongylodon-macrobotrys.htm

cutant

Dill if your cuttings are going brown you have either cooked them with a warm temperature, or your have low humidity, or both. There is still hope. Like Persephone said as long as the stem is green it can still root. Vine stems are more resistant than other cuttings and if they lose all leaves the stem cam still take root. Try lowering the temperature from 25C to 21C and put in more cups with water if you do not have misting on the sides of the plastic box. If you notice brown stems at the bottom take out the cutting, cut out the brown part until you have fresh green stem right under a node and re-pot the new cutting. Just make sure you do not have more than 3 nodes on each cutting - the fewer the better. The plastic box should be shaded. UV light an still burn even if the temp. remains within limits.

cutant

Hi Persephone,

Thanks a lot for offering. Is there anything I need to do to get my post count up? I cannot PM anyone for now.

Summer here has come with a bang with very hot temperatures. So sending any vine cutting has to wait for now. It will not make the journey. Best time is towards the end of winter say around February end.

Cannabis - climate here is SUPER perfect. But it's illegal even for personal use. In spite of that people still grow it under cover and in secluded areas.

Dill, best of luck. I would not lose hope. any vine cutting can still take root even if it loses all leaves. Give it a maximum of 8 weeks. By that time there should be some root formation from the callus where you made the cut. Try checking for roots using a teaspoon to remove soil until you reach the stem base. Be careful not to damage any roots. the jade vine is known to root easily so I am hopeful for you. You can improve your success by shortening any cuttings with more than 3 nodes. Any questions just ask.