What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

similar tastes/smell due to grower?

kaosisallwesee

Me and a friend were discussing our previous grows and we noted that, regardless of the strain and nutrients, we get similar smells and tastes to each of our grows. His always has an underlying meaty, beefy, sour fruit smell. Mine always has a skunky, musky, earthy smell.
This is regardless of strain, we previously though it was due to each of us having our preferred nutrient brand, but we both recently switched and we still get the same underlying tones.
Could our environment or growing style enhance certain terpene profiles?
And anyone else notice the same thing?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hehehe
Your friends room is closer to the kitchen & yours is next to the bathroom.

But on a serious note...
Your enviro absolutely plays a role.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Phenotype = genotype + environment

Water only, fully amended organic soil, is the solution.

dank.Frank

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Normally my garden gets General Hydroponics three part. No additives, nothing organic, just the plain simple chemicals needed for growth.

The result is a very low odor room.

One Year I wanted pungent and used a fermented bat guano tea from insect eating bats. All strains in the garden acquired a new and powerful scent. It reached all the way to the end of the driveway (300 feet) and was quite distinctive.

Same plants and same basic nutrients with widely differing odors from a single supplement. I can definitely see two growers with consistent smells unique to their grow room.

waveguide

Veteran
i grew some citral a year ago, which has a strong "sour" smell to the foliage, it did seem to me that this was imparted to the other strains. (at least more than i've noticed other odors being communicated between individuals).

maybe it was "my nose noticing it more because of the strong examples" but i think it's more that plants in a community are likely to communicate pheromones or whatever as part of pest deterrence or whatever else they get up to as plants.

jesbuds

Grow style/environment. Same grower growing a strain in Denver will have different results than growing that strain in Miami, likewise two growers in Denver with the same strain will have varying results.

growaway

All anecdotal of course, but having grown and shared for many seasons, people always say they know my gear when they taste it. Have grown many different varieties and using different styles of cultivation over the years and its still all somewhat similar. I believe it has a lot to do with drying, trimming and curing style. This really effects the finished flavors and smells and most long time growers stick to a preferred method of processing and therefore turn out familiar produce. As long as what you produce is very good, its kinda flattering to have people recognize it! No science here folks, just my 2 cents worth. Cheers.

psyphish

Veteran
All anecdotal of course, but having grown and shared for many seasons, people always say they know my gear when they taste it. Have grown many different varieties and using different styles of cultivation over the years and its still all somewhat similar. I believe it has a lot to do with drying, trimming and curing style. This really effects the finished flavors and smells and most long time growers stick to a preferred method of processing and therefore turn out familiar produce. As long as what you produce is very good, its kinda flattering to have people recognize it! No science here folks, just my 2 cents worth. Cheers.

People have given me similar comments, they recognize the flavor even if I've changed parts of the grow.

I

Invisible Rasta

same for me, i have grown the critical bilbo and green poison for a year. I have different phenos as there is 14 mothers of each genetic but they all carry the same smell and taste.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grow style/environment. Same grower growing a strain in Denver will have different results than growing that strain in Miami, likewise two growers in Denver with the same strain will have varying results.

Yep, 'tis true. Recall that when I had bag seed long ago...totally different grown elsewhere from where I acquired.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts