What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

By Far THE BEST Rooting Gel, Dip, Powder I Have Ever Used!!

G

Gunnlæif

Is this thread really 14 pages (sorry for not reading any) of the best Rooting Gel, Dip, Powder? If it is, this might not count as relevant, but could be the cheapest method if it hasn't been mentioned yet...i've never used anything but saliva(spit), since i've cloned my first plant and have 99.9% success rate in a medium or rapid rooters. I keep them in a 18/6 lighted, humid, 80degree enviroment and have very few issues if any at all. It's one of my favorite things to do when it comes to growing.

vertigo0007

Could green light be mixed in a drench for transplant to make the roots explode into the new pot? Like if i only had a short time to establish my roots after transplant before flip. And what happened to jbonez?

Adrift

Veteran
he got banned vertigo, and for what im not sure! jbonez was a good dude! but i guess he broke the rules somehow ....

H

highsteppa

Great thread. Stick with the 0.1% IBA powder. It its true that the higher % will retard rooting w/ canna.

There's alot of good info here and I just want to add that wounding a node that will below the soil/sponge/rockwool/etc. is beneficial as well. Don't wound too deep, just expose the cambium, pull through the node, and then to the base of the cutting all within about a half inch. Don't shear off the cambium. Wounding the node puts callus tissue where undifferentiated cells are (meristem)and the IBA, which is on the wound, then tells these cells to become roots. Granted, all this is not necessary to root cutting, but it helps esp. with more challenging cuts.

Interesting to see people having root temps in the 85 f zone. I've always kept it around 75-76. I've rotted cuttings a few times at high temps, but no doubt, it could also speed things up.

Anyway great to see some solid info steering people away from more of the snake-oil type MJ products, esp. in propagation :tiphat:

SHULTZ TAKE ROOT. sold at Wallmart has the same stuff in it and same price. Also a powder first time I used a Powder, Previously used CLONEX and both provided 100% success. One just much cheaper and more convenient then the other.

T

The Sensi Rebel

Ive been using a variety of powders. I even sprinkle a little into my starter mix. I find a mixture of this or any Home Depot brand that has the IBA-3 1% in it will work fine.

I work in a large scale wholesale floral greenhouse. We get about 97% overall, which is pretty fucking good if you ask me in the cold midwest climate. We use this here. Actually, I recommmended this to my boss aka the owner/head grower and he saw his success rate skyrocket.. ..unfortunately I don't share in the same spoils of profit :p
Biggest Factors are
1.) Moisture (foliar and the rhizosphere)
2.) Low Lighting
3.)Bottom Heat
4.) Blue Spectrum Lighting.
If it doesnt work, chances are you are still dialing your environment.

Shouts to Krunch for the thread and JBonez for getting banned. Good growers

great thread. I take around 200 clones a month for the medical marijuana center where I work. I don't know what the success rate is but I only lose about 2 per month. As I take the cuts, I submerge them in a cup of water/hydrogen peroxide. That one step makes a huge difference. We use whatever cloning gel the grow store gives us cheap, doesn't matter as long as the clones receive the peroxide dip.

zeke99

Human saliva - the original rooting gel. Just don't attempt this with a bad case of dry mouth. After I make the tiny cuts in the stems with a clean razor blade, "scarifying" (??) - I put the stem in my mouth and make sure the end of it is well coated before inserting into the medium. Assuming that the environment is right (enough heat and not too much light) this method does not fail.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
you don't need anything to dip into to make cuts!
I make all mine, just cut and stick.
Try it sometime, it works and you don't have to BUY anything.

zeke99

Spit, whoda thunk it?

This is where I read about it a few years back:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Cuttings-Starting-Plants_vq1120.htm

Some people recommend dipping the cuttings in rooting hormone powder or willow water. Our tests have shown that that is not really worth the trouble on most plants. What does work, believe it or not, is saliva. Unless working with a poisonous plant such as oleander, stick the base of the cutting in your mouth...

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/content/code/about/

Just finished reading this thread and had a question. Clonex gel has the same pgr - IBA - that was mentioned in the first post as well as a couple other ingredients so what makes it better? Just that it's cheaper?

I just ask because I have a little clonex left, but will go to HD for the powder if it's a better method. I failed in most of my last clone run dipping in clonex then the aero for some reason and cannot have this next set fail for me. I'm going to try the cubes and dome this time.

Biggest fucking attention whore on icmag. All useless information too. Anything with IBA works. So does plain water. Use whatever you want. People are seriously freaking out over rooting in 5.5 days versus 6? Try cloning a thousand a month and then you'll become so fucking sick of these dumb ass threads. It all works!! For fucks sake cloning is sooo easy. Be patient for a change.

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Kush: I was using Clonex, had some bad luck with it-and bought some rooting hormone from amazon. Yes it does work

DJXX

Veteran
sup krunch...been using the powder you suggested, since you started the thread and i have had 99% success rate...even the smallest stems...thanks again KB... DJXX