What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Sativas own Old Toker

Old Toker

Old Toker this is an epic grow, simply a blockbuster to my mind.
you have excelled yourself in such a magnificent enterprise, the mind boggles at the majesty of the prolific cola laden bushes, ive read this thread from wayyy back at 18" high, hoping for 25" max. what a journey it has been, with the climax yet to come too.
As i embark on a malawi and golden tiger adventure myself I hail you as a great sativa mentor and have learnt much from this diary , thank you kindly Old Toker for bothering to document your adventures here.
Dam Brother.....you're going to turn my head.:tiphat: I'm glad my thread has been helpful to you and I look forward to following your grow. Certainly you can count on me to share all the VAST amount of experience that I've gained from all my many (singular) grows. :) Seriously....while sometimes painful and embarrassing....sharing your grow will often garner knowledgeable replies from experienced growers. I'm still hopeful that one of those "knowledgeable and experienced" growers will choose to post in this thread.:biggrin:
Good luck with your Malawis and GTs.....you've picked a couple of great Sativas!:tiphat:

Old Toker

They look great, OT, the first one'll go long for sure. GG's spot on; these super sativas can reflower no end, so dropping to 11/13 especially important for them. Indicas/hybrids less so. I'd go there straight away, no fooling with 11.5.
What's the downside to these Sativas re-flowering to no end? Will it affect quality? If they were outside in an equatorial climate wouldn't they eventually finish under 12/12? Not trying to jerk your chain (I have tremendous respect for your opinion) just trying to figure out WHY it might be better to finish more quickly.:tiphat:
Looks like you may harvest a few this month, including the Pan Haze.
Hope you are correct....but the PHs currently seem farther behind than the other strains.
One way to get a good idea of where your plants are is to take a small bottom bud of each, label and dry it and then puff away when ready
It would seem that the benefit to this method is that after trying a bud you likely won't CARE if it''s ready for harvest yet;). I currently have some small GT buds drying in a paper bag. When my vape arrives this week...I plan on taking them for a test drive.
The other sure fire is to send dubi a few well-focused pics of the buds and he'll say chop/no chop.
This was my original plan. Along with posting closeups on this thread to get some opinions. But when I dropped my phone and replaced it with a Pixel...I lost the ability to take macros. Still have my (repaired) Note4....so I may use it to try to get some closeups and post those.
I've gotta go water the girls. Got a little calmag deficiency on Lady S who's apparently still hungry.
Good luck with the girls and please send my love to Lady S.:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

What's the downside to these Sativas re-flowering to no end? Will it affect quality? If they were outside in an equatorial climate wouldn't they eventually finish under 12/12? Not trying to jerk your chain (I have tremendous respect for your opinion) just trying to figure out WHY it might be better to finish more quickly.:tiphat:

Good point, everyone else here is trying to get more beans in the ground asap, you've got the luxury of time. Letting 'em go certainly will affect quality, but for the better...I can't think of a downside to letting 'em go except bud density/bag appeal, which is of no concern.
The only good reason I can come up with is twofold; you are not a massive consumer and already have a disproportionate amount of bud, and of course impatience to try these killer strains!
Gave your regards to Lady S and she asked for some CalMag. Not a sentimental girl.:biggrin:

Old Toker

Letting 'em go certainly will affect quality, but for the better...I can't think of a downside to letting 'em go..
I can't either....except additional cost for AC/electric/nutes. Think I'll just continue the 12/12 until/unless someone else chimes in. I'm sure Dubi would know....and I can wait for him to review the Ace threads again.
The only good reason I can come up with is twofold; you are not a massive consumer and already have a disproportionate amount of bud..
Wait!!!! I thought you told me that in order to get any help on this forum....that the first harvest went to you....and you would split it up evenly with the other growers? What happened to the 1/2 lb of my outdoor Malawi that you insisted on for "good faith weed"? I sure as hell hope you shared that with GG, Syd, Orfeas and the rest of my support staff. It does seem to make sense though....if you have been smoking that all by yourself....it explains the quality of advice I've been getting. You're too stoned to be helpful....and the rest of the guys figured I screwed them and therefore are intentionally making suggestions such as mass harvesting of Sativas growing in a tent....with a chainsaw. :)
..and of course impatience to try these killer strains!
Impatience? I'don't have no stinkin' impatience. I have a tent full of glistening buds that I am OBLIGATED to try at different stages of maturity/ripeness. Otherwise how will I know the best time for ME to harvest sativas? Never really had a chance to pick and choose what to smoke.....let alone when to harvest multiple strains. Do I prefer my smoke a little less ripe and more Sativa like? Maybe more of an amber trichs influence? Brother.....if I can continue to sample good (possibly great) weed whenever I want....this grow can go to NEXT Summer. :dance013:
Gave your regards to Lady S and she asked for some CalMag. Not a sentimental girl.
That's one of the reasons I like her so much......she's such a slut. :tiphat:

orfeas

Veteran
You guys are such a hilarious laugh! I appreciate you letting me "bother" you with my posts from time to time... :biggrin:

Now harvesting's the issue and I don't know how helpful I might be, I mostly draw on my outdoor experience... I'll give it a shot though...
I take the first random branches down when I see the first amber trichs , which ammounts to almost half the harvest...or a tad less...
The final harvest has rarely been up to me, mould is the culprit...

Testing I don't do for I sometimes find the fresh buds quite misleading...yet I do furtively pinch a tiny bit...curiosity reasons mostly :biggrin:

:tiphat:Orfeas

akirabull

i have tried last summer with a mango haze a complete cicle of 10-14 after a normal one of 12-12. obviously you will lose quite enough weed and bud shape change but quality remains the same. someone works better than others , from seed can help reducing photoperiod because is usually a little bit longer time till harvest and you are at week 13, it will doesn't affect you plant at all. 100% tropical sativa are also really sensitive to the food you give her, because are plants from equator 12-12 all the year so right food in right time is important to push the plant through different grows stage. i usually uses molasses and pk bio booster to help them

Old Toker

I appreciate you letting me "bother" you with my posts from time to time...
Nope. Not a chance. It's WAY too late for you to try and disassociate yourself with this thread. Nice try though. :tiphat:
I take the first random branches down when I see the first amber trichs , which ammounts to almost half the harvest...or a tad less...The final harvest has rarely been up to me, mould is the culprit...
Let me see if I've got this....you harvest about half of your outdoor crop when you first see amber trichs...and leave the other half until you see mold?
Testing I don't do for I sometimes find the fresh buds quite misleading...
Good point. You can't necessarily determine final quality with fresh buds. However....I still feel obligated to sample a variety of fresh buds at various points in their development.:)
I do furtively pinch a tiny bit...curiosity reasons mostly
Yah ....that's my plan too. Maybe not too furtively or tiny pinches, but definitely for "curiosity" reasons. :tiphat:

Old Toker

i have tried last summer with a mango haze a complete cicle of 10-14 after a normal one of 12-12. obviously you will lose quite enough weed and bud shape change but quality remains the same....
Thank you Akirabull! :tiphat:
Stuff like this is one of the great things about this site. The only way to know this is to either try it yourself, or be fortunate enough to know someone who did. Appreciate you sharing your experience. :tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Hey, you underestimate all the work i have to do on my end, pulling you back from catastrophe. Don't try and get out of our deal now after 13 weeks of below average guidance; syd's expecting his cut and you don't want to screw with a dude named Gorilla. Plus it's bad karma to keep this first indoor harvest. I told you that. edit*The gods would be especially upset were you to keep the Panama Haze for yourself.

Old Toker

Hey, you underestimate all the work i have to do on my end, pulling you back from catastrophe.
Pulling me back? :chin: I distinctly recall the feel of your foot on my as* pushing me off the cliff.
I'm with you....looking forward to trying some PH. OTOH....I'm also looking forward to trying some GT and Zam. And it's possible that at least one of my Malawis is a different pheno than the one I grew outside. Hell....I'm pumped to try ALL of them. What if I can't tell the difference between them? Maybe after 50 years of smoking ditch weed I'm so burnt out that all weed will taste the same to me? How screwed up would that be? :tiphat:

orfeas

Veteran
Let me see if I've got this....you harvest about half of your outdoor crop when you first see amber trichs...and leave the other half until you see mold? ...

I did mean to justify my harvesting approach last night but the M x P elite spliff wouldn't let me... :)
Now that the sun's up and shining here I am telling you that there are two factors dictating my particular harvesting approach, both being very crucial.
I. I find a considerable distinct difference between the two windows, the first being clearer, lighter, more energetic, swift/sharp mental function making it ideal day smoke...the latter sort of blunts the afore mentioned qualities... there might be an age factor to this :biggrin:
II. Late September/October/early November are usually wet around my neck of woods making mould almost impossible to avert...
Chemical fungicides might do the trick, but I prefer leaving me buds "unadulterated"... :biggrin:

Have a good day!

Old Toker

... there might be an age factor to this..
I am assuming you must be REALLY old. :biggrin:
II. Late September/October/early November are usually wet around my neck of woods making mould almost impossible to avert..
Based on when it seems to be light where you are...we are likely on different continents and different hemispheres. That said...outdoor fungus and molds are some of the main reasons why I am doing my first indoor grow. Tried outdoors last Summer and the humid deep south forest diseases thought my girls were part of the free buffet. Sprayed early....but had to stop after stretch. One Malawi girl managed to survive my ineptness as a grower, hurricanes, falling trees, AND the diseases long enough for me to harvest her.

I like your rational for harvesting early and later. Plus....if anything happens to the later harvest....you're sitting on half of your crop in jars. Reduces risk.

Appreciate the advice and insight!:tiphat:

orfeas

Veteran
I am assuming you must be REALLY old.

Based on when it seems to be light where you are...we are likely on different continents and different hemispheres. That said...outdoor fungus and molds are some of the main reasons why I am doing my first indoor grow. Tried outdoors last Summer and the humid deep south forest diseases thought my girls were part of the free buffet. Sprayed early....but had to stop after stretch. One Malawi girl managed to survive my ineptness as a grower, hurricanes, falling trees, AND the diseases long enough for me to harvest her.

I like your rational for harvesting early and later. Plus....if anything happens to the later harvest....you're sitting on half of your crop in jars. Reduces risk.

Appreciate the advice and insight!:tiphat:

Agewise don't let the high school daughter mislead you... :biggrin: a premonition says peers...or close...
Far apart we definitely are...in terms of space of course...North Aegean Holy Mountain :) but you live in a far worse environment than mine...still mine can be a hell of a catastrophy uber alles... :biggrin:

"".if anything happens to the later harvest....you're sitting on half of your crop in jars. Reduces risk." that's exactly the point!

Old Toker

"".if anything happens to the later harvest....you're sitting on half of your crop in jars. Reduces risk." that's exactly the point!
Along with having both a nice day smoke AND a nice night smoke from the same strains and harvest. Very smart. :tiphat:
I'm planning on taking some before I ever see any amber. Wonder what a bud of mostly cloudy sativa would be "like"? And then maybe some more with a small amount of amber. And then finally...the Dubi Special....wait until you think it's done, and then wait two more weeks. :biggrin:

deepwaterdude

Along with having both a nice day smoke AND a nice night smoke from the same strains and harvest. Very smart. :tiphat:
I'm planning on taking some before I ever see any amber. Wonder what a bud of mostly cloudy sativa would be "like"? And then maybe some more with a small amount of amber. And then finally...the Dubi Special....wait until you think it's done, and then wait two more weeks. :biggrin:

Hah, :laughing: I forgot about the Dubi special. There're a lot of dudes on here who pray to the cloudy trichome and avoid the amber in sats, and a lot who don't. Purely personal. I think Thaibliss is a good grower who doesn't do so much amber. Worth taking a look at his threads. Many other excellent growers have counseled me to wait until fully cooked;)

Old Toker

Hah, :laughing: I forgot about the Dubi special.
Assuming everything goes well....you will hear a lot about it in the next 4-6 weeks. :)
There're a lot of dudes on here who pray to the cloudy trichome and avoid the amber in sats, and a lot who don't. Purely personal. I think Thaibliss is a good grower who doesn't do so much amber. Worth taking a look at his threads. Many other excellent growers have counseled me to wait until fully cooked
I know. Opinions are all over the place depending on strains and personal preferences. I think the only fair thing to do is to sample early and often.:) I'm not sure that I'm a sophisticated enough stoner to be able to discern the finer differences between harvest times and strains...but I'm willing to "take one for the team". Just the kinda guy I am. :tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Good of you to take the fall for us. It's a hard life, but it has its perks;)
Just took down Miss P; happy to be in harvest mode.

Old Toker

Good of you to take the fall for us. It's a hard life, but it has its perks
Thanks! I said to myself what would DWD do?
Just took down Miss P;
Yah....I just read about how she smells like sugar mango cream. Is that anything like just mango with fructose and no cream?:)
.. happy to be in harvest mode.
I saw the pics of your girl. She may end up yielding nicely.....for a sugar mango cream type pheno...:tiphat:

orfeas

Veteran

Despite cannabis scientific jargon not being my cup of tea, degradation of THC in the last phase of the plant's life and in the long curing might be a key factor to the kind of high it delivers...
In the end, I reckon it all boils down to personal preferences/needs...

Old Toker

In the end, I reckon it all boils down to personal preferences/needs...
Which is why I'm going to try different harvest times. I don't know what my personal preferences are....because I've never been in a position to try buds at different points of maturity. Actually never been able to compare different strains either. Hopefully....this will be my opportunity to do both. Exciting stuff. :tiphat: