What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Getting through landlord inspections.

Just had one today.

On the bright side he came when I just had vegging plants.

But you could still smell them, and I could tell he could smell them.

If they had been in flower I would have put them in garbage bags and sealed them up to reduce the smell, but because they were in veg I thought they would be all right.

I tried to keep him talking to distract him from thinking about them, and I think being friendly to him and talking to him helped a lot, because he basically without saying directly said it's cool.
As he was leaving he said he would not be back for 12 months, and I could tell he was meaning you are ok to grow now.

But I could see him look hard at the grow room windows, which had remains of black tape on the window frame from me stopping light leaks, and the nail holes in the window frame from in the past hanging plastic sheeting behind the windows to keep out the light.

I will have to get another set of curtains in the future to hang on the inside of the windows to hide the frame from view, big curtains that cover the whole frame.

I mean I could tell he knew growing was going on in the house, but I think because I talked to him and was friendly to him he didn't worry about it, even though he was obviously quite square.

So I think I'm in the clear.

But I think it may be better to hire a van or small truck in the future and put the plants in there and park it out on the street.

Now I have to put everything back together again.

It's a pain taking everything down, hiding plants, fixing up any signs of grow related modifications, only to have to set it back up again.

troutman

Seed Whore
It totally sucks, but I know the feeling with inspections.
Talking to the person inspecting really helps in distracting them also.

Last time, I only had small plants and I put them in my bathtub after I took my tent down.

Would be nice to live on a farm away from nosy people.

A moving van would be great to hide plants for day or two. :tiphat:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Threads like this pop up every now and again and I remember some of the better suggestions from them.

• Rent a moving box truck or van to keep plants in during inspection.
  • Mop/clean floors and other surfaces with something strong smelling like pinesol or lisol.
  • Cook up some smelly food right before they get there, like bacon to cover the smell.
  • Personally I had my dog and left her in the room with a note on the door saying she was in there and that she was scared of people. This was when I was in an apartment complex.

seeded

They're literally only interested in making sure that rent is paid on time and that you're taking care of the property. If you know the places they can't look like wardrobes, cupboards, caravans out back, etc. you just put everything in those places and clean up like your arse's virginity depends on it. Seriously just make the place spotless and then go over everything (especially the walls) with hospital grade bleach the night before/morning of and air the place out with 20-30 mins to go. As long as you haven't punched any holes in the walls or have any other major issues that force them to fight the bleach fumes enough to really open their eyes they'll power through the inspection as quickly as possible knowing the house is in better hands than average person that gives them a "lived in" house to judge them on.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I lived in a duplex a few years ago, and all the landlords cared about was the monthly check. So there were never any inspections, but the trade off was, I couldn't get them to fix shit.

But that was fine by me, I had an awesome closet grow going, and that was where I learned to grow.

When I left, there was a ten inch hole in the closet ceiling where I had put an exhaust fan, but I didn't give a fuck. They weren't gonna give me back my deposit anyway.

Man, that was a sweet set up.

Buy a pet skunk (descented) and let him run around the house during inspection. :D

Why not just shit on the floor in front of everywhere you don't want him to go.

In fact why not shit everywhere, and he will be too busy looking where he treads to worry about looking around for signs of a grow op.

Ogtg2213

Depends on the land owner and grower. I've had growers in my places before and I don't like it. Hacks that don't control there environment and spill shit on carpet, cut unnecessary holes in the walls and don't fix it properly before they leave, black mold in corners ect, fucking disgusting.
But I've had good experiences too, mostly older med users and semi commercial ops that leave the house the way they found it, either way, if your growing in my place I will know about it, and I'll be taking a cut

Easy7

Veteran
There is no hiding indoor growing. Takes so much stuff to get it done.

A buddy and I had a few auto's years back. He would hide them in his roommates closet and tell the landlord inspecting for mice that the roommate was sleeping.

I rent from family and they stop by any time. Keeps me out of trouble.

Growing outdoor you just have to figure drying and minimal hiding stash.

If i had an outlet in the attic for a scrubber. I'd be tempted for a small outdoor. Weed smells so strong and distinct!

Mukind

You can hide it...You just need a lease that gives you privacy

As long as I don't ask for repairs why would a landlord be coming in?

Assuming there isn't some quarterly inspection etc on the lease. In which case you should have never signed it and never been in that property. If I get pushback I give a schpeeel about bad experiences with people being near the property without me.

If my landlord just randomly dropped by I would be so fucking icey cold that son of a bitch wouldn't want to look me in the eye again

You can hide it...You just need a lease that gives you privacy

As long as I don't ask for repairs why would a landlord be coming in?

Assuming there isn't some quarterly inspection etc on the lease. In which case you should have never signed it and never been in that property. If I get pushback I give a schpeeel about bad experiences with people being near the property without me.

If my landlord just randomly dropped by I would be so fucking icey cold that son of a bitch wouldn't want to look me in the eye again

Long as you have some where to hide them; I had to hide 24 Critical Mass in big pots, plus 2 plants I was revegging, plus some recently germinated sprouts.

The reveggng ones were put in a trash bin outside, reminds me I have to go and get them out.
I have a big storage closet, sort of like a broom closet, which most of them went into, but I had to put some in the clothes closet in the bedroom.

They were stashed all over the place.

I think renting a van or truck might be better in future.

I think I dodged a bullet here, what with him being able to smell them, but things might not go so well in the future.

Never put your safety in another persons hands.
It's a bad practice.
Never rely on staying out of jail on the basis that another person wont snitch on you.

G

ganjygav

I go through all sorts of inspections through the year. Property inspections,gas safty and electric checks. The only one I take down my grows for is electric because they inspect each socket in the house. Other than that my tent and filter take care of smell and light leaving where I grow. Tents are awesome like that. I've been growing in same house for 8 years with 3 inspections at least a year. I only have to pack away for 2 weeks of the year... tents work

seeded

Its been a while since i bought one, but it never helped with a landlord inspection. Do they have magic invisiblity these days? :dunno:
I've hidden mine under my bed with most of the poles connected together and the tent itself folded over them. I've also put a couple of them under one of those beds that fold up with underneath storage and put them behind wardrobes that have been put in corners on an angle too.

It'd be nice if they'd ever go back inside their bags though. I swear they must use voodoo magic or something to get them in there in the first place :laughing:

G

ganjygav

It'd be nice if they'd ever go back inside their bags though. I swear they must use voodoo magic or something to get them in there in the first place :laughing:

Haha oh yes. I've had 3 tents and the bags just rip when you try putting tent back inside. I've folded mine up and walked on it trying to make it fit

brown_thumb

I don't rent because I enjoy my privacy and independence. What I will state is, if I were a landlord I'd minimize my intrusions into peoples' homes and 'pretend' not to notice if they were growing unless I saw them damaging something. Even then, I'd tell them to correct the damage their indoor 'vegetable garden' is causing or I'd have to bring in an outside inspector.