What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap, corded hair trimmers for bud trimming?

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Would you use these?

WA3130.jpg

Obviously NOT the attachments, but an inexpensive, hand held hair trimmer could function as a decent trimmer for harvest, no?

Clean it, use olive oil as lubricant - light, easy to hold and designed to trim. Buy a couple for when one is being cleaned or it breaks/jams.

These are $16. Those electric hand trimmers run into many hundreds/thousands.

Thoughts (bearing in mind I KNOW I'm a cheap mofo)?

T

TreehouseJ

I haven't looked at any electric trimmers, but having broken almost every bone in my both my hands, I'm willing to try anything once. I have a cheap-o pair lying around somewhere, if I can find it I'll try cutting through the face of a fan leaf and let you know if it works.

That being said, I think my weed looks like shit if I don't scissor trim twice over. This thing would have to cut clean as a whistle for me to even consider it. My instincts tell me it won't though.

prune

Veteran
might work great on basil and oregano, but most (good) bud i see has this stuff called resin on it which would gum up those works pronto...

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
might work great on basil and oregano, but most (good) bud i see has this stuff called resin on it which would gum up those works pronto...

I wondered about that - have a pair (or 3) & unplug/dip into very shallow iso bath to loosen/remove resin. dry out iso for hash. Olive oil lube would keep any such retrieval kosher for later consumption.

I've always done manual trim on small grows - but seems to me a small grower could spend under $50 and have some decent electric assistance, maybe for the first trim & do the final by hand.

Anyway, it was just something that occurred to me - nothing planned.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I wondered about that - have a pair (or 3) & unplug/dip into very shallow iso bath to loosen/remove resin. dry out iso for hash. Olive oil lube would keep any such retrieval kosher for later consumption.

I've always done manual trim on small grows - but seems to me a small grower could spend under $50 and have some decent electric assistance, maybe for the first trim & do the final by hand.

Anyway, it was just something that occurred to me - nothing planned.

I do not know how safe ISO is very making hash. I would use everclear, 190 proof cheap as hell Ethanol. Make sure you unplug before cleaning.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The teeth in the hair clippers are too narrow.

If you look at a commercial bud trimmer you will see that they have large enough teeth that small stems will fit wholly inside them allowing them to be cut efficiently.

As with hair trimmers, you may as well attempt trimming with a cheap serrated steak knife.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Ha ha sheep shearing clippers might go haywire and attack the bud trimming staff, causing them to flee in disarray.

T

TreehouseJ

That thing looks like it might take your finger off. I'm assuming the Bonsai Hero costs as much as it does because it is specifically designed with the growers fingers in mind, whereas your grass trimmer seems to be designed to pass through whatever it can take. This knock off is 450, but it looks to be the closest thing to automated fine tip fiskars as you can get.

https://thetrimmerstore.com/shop/hand-held-trimmers/trimr-matic/

T

TreehouseJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WXHc41-pA4

A better quality video of a hand held rotary device. Actually looks from this video to be as precise as scissor trimming. Looks like this could be accomplished with a little fishing line and a dremel, if there isn't already a prefab attachment.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That thing looks like it might take your finger off. I'm assuming the Bonsai Hero costs as much as it does because it is specifically designed with the growers fingers in mind, whereas your grass trimmer seems to be designed to pass through whatever it can take. This knock off is 450, but it looks to be the closest thing to automated fine tip fiskars as you can get.

https://thetrimmerstore.com/shop/hand-held-trimmers/trimr-matic/

You need to buy these first.. hahaha....

T

TreehouseJ

Excited to try this thing out. My flex shaft was apparently broken. I'll have to go buy another.

Attachments

• Photo on 9-18-16 at 2.09 PM #4.jpg
    Photo on 9-18-16 at 2.09 PM #4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo on 9-18-16 at 2.09 PM #2 #2.jpg
    Photo on 9-18-16 at 2.09 PM #2 #2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Latest posts