What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$5.90 mini digital hygrometer

Taxman

Hey guys,

I wanted to follow Simon's perfect cure guide, so I went shopping at DealExtreme and came across these inexpensive hygrometers.

Thought I'd share the link with everyone.

I picked up three of them to try out on my next batch. Here they are on my counter next to a handy tape measure:

149q2l.jpg

My A/C kicked on just before this photo was taken so all three were slowly decreasing in RH% at the time. They have all been within 1% of each other since I got them, so that's good. There's no way to switch to fahrenheit, so I suppose that's one drawback if you're metrically-challenged.

Anyway, they're $6 bucks a pop and they offer free shipping worldwide so why not?! I've already ordered 3 more after being satisfied with the build quality and size.

This place rules by the way -- it's like the dollar store of the Internet! Tons of shit, all super cheap.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
These hygrometers are a good value. They read consistently, albeit a bit high, IME. I'd suggest using a Caliber III to gauge the ebay hygrometers, and one should be good to go.

Simon

BET

Same ones I use on my cure. Work a treat. Get them off ebay as well - its where I got mine.

OldSkoolKlein

Thanks for that idea of using a Calibre III as a benchmark for these $6 ones simon! This will be on my shopping list now. Thanks.

Pwyll

Not as reliable or as accurate as the Calibers. Also difficult to change the batteries. I think the ones fitted into the mason jar lids are a better value.

G

I bought 4 of the small digital ones off amazon last year and just changed batteries preemptively. Not hard at all. Plus I have checked calibration a couple times. Put them in a mason jar for a couple days with Boveda packs and use a silver sharpie to put a hash mark for each point they are off and they have been consistent. They ranged from 2 to 4 points high but since marking them and rechecking them last week they are solid. And I have 2 of the Acurite wifi sensors tied to the base unit that I monitor on my PC anywhere. They hold solid and you can put an offset in them for humidity and temp by PC as well.

G

Not as reliable or as accurate as the Calibers. Also difficult to change the batteries. I think the ones fitted into the mason jar lids are a better value.
I got 4 that are just as repeatable for about the price of one of the calibers. Quality has improved in less expensive ones.