What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Extinct Red Angola?

SUPER_HAZE

Hi all.

I have been looking for it for many years, but it is nowhere to be found. I think it is related to the punto rojo. Although there have been many punto rojo and surely red Angolas as well.

Does anyone know where to find red angola? Other than Alex LMN. Besides going to Angola haha

Has the red angola been lost?

If someone knows where to find it, say it here or send me a private message. Thank.

Koondense

Veteran
Found some on page 1 of google search, but who knows if they're what should be(DrWeed, site looks weird honestly).
I have some Angola Poison, not the red, maybe there's also red in the line.

Cheers

T

TakenByTheSky

I've seen seeds pop of of it over the years I'm certain seeds still exist in private collections.

Riamba

I believe Angola Roja and it's translation Red Angola was a name invented and popularized by Alex LMN in early 2000s, weed was never know like that in Angola, neither Spain or Portugal where most imports arrived back then. But around that time, LMN and a bunch of Spanish growers were the only guys growing African genetics, aside those who bought seeds from African Seeds and Afropips of course.

In Portugal and Angola is known by its original Kimbundu names Liamba, Diamba, Riamba or the traditional Maconha term, which were also exported to Brazil during the colonial era.

I've seen some people posting Angolese plants before.

SUPER_HAZE

I honestly don't know if the name of Angola Roja was given by Alex or not. I have seen Angolas with red pistils and others not.

Angola LMN was said to be a hybrid. I don't know if there were plants with red pistils in Angola ...

In any case, it is difficult to find Angola on the internet, surely someone will have seeds but it is easier to go to Angola and look for them than for anyone to share them.

Thanks to everyone. :thank you:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The Liamba imports have been always present among Portuguese growers. I got to know one through a forum who sent me seeds years ago.

LMN was actually calling one of his lines Angola Roja because of the red hair the plants were presenting, as opposed to the “verde aka green” phenotypes, so it should be the same genetics:

6048angolapolinizada.jpg

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=24192

The compact, rounded and beefy plants shown at that thread must be 2nd generation plants or NLDxBLD hybrids of some sort like you've noted. Anyone who has grown any sativas before will notice that. LMN mentions they finish anywhere from 10 to 14 weeks, which doesn't match with the common flowering time for equatorial Africans.

Later he posted Angola Roja x Bangi plants that presented strong purple colored buds resembling his other Blueberry hybrids like JoTaKe or La Iguana (Nepal x Blueberry) and even faster finishing times were reported.

Here LMN posts a picture of Bangi here as well, but obviously an NLD x Pakistan Chitral F2 hybrid by the looks, so IMHO he's not the best reference to research on African genetics. I have the feeling he hibridized the old Africans very early in order to make them more appealing, since all his strains share this similar structure:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=528511&postcount=8

All this plants possibly derive from older African imports hybridized with some of the indicas he was using like Blueberry or Pakistan Chitral. Notice that LMN originally came from Galician area, in NW Coastal Spain, where one of the biggest comercial ports and common marijuana, hashish and cocaine smuggling hotspots for the whole Europe can be still found nowadays. African imports were very common until the 90s, when people started growing Dutch and hybrid seeds and never looked back into the longer flowering and less productive import sativas (same happened in California back then). This was also how I first encountered African weed and how I got interested on it, because of the regional heritage and legends around those. Many older people like Raco and even my father were often speaking about them and that certainly sparked an interest on me.

LMN shared a Green Angolese clone with Charlie Garcia when all were part of ACE. Charlie produced S1 seeds with it in order to preserve it (since the strain was lost after LMNs police bust) and this seeds made its way to Canada via Rainha Ginga. This along with BSC’s release was the only available source to LMN’s Angola.

It’s LMN himself on that same thread who speculated if Angola Roja originated the Punto Rojo, but we know that Panama, Venezuela and Colombian Cannabis were probably introduced from the Caribbean islands during the Panama channel or even before (there are records on Trinidad farmers growing seeds to be smuggled back to Trinidad to avoid British taxes during the colonies). What the Angolese Cannabis could have originate indeed is the Manga Rosa and other traditional Brazilian cultivars.

As for other Angolese strains, they used to be fairly common in NW Spain and Portugal coastal villages but became pretty rare lately, despite it’s one of the oldest Cannabis smoking cultures worlwide. I’ve been sourcing personally a bunch of them, after my dissapointment with the Angolese LMN that used to be sold by BSC. Alex sent a bunch of seeds to Luiz and they ended being sold, despite LMN always opposed himself to get his gear released by other seed companies.

One of the Angolese breeds is the Malanje Red and was collected by a friend who stayed there for some time and used to smoke with locals and save the bagseeds, I often call her a red line but because of the stalk and petiole color. Flowers get subtle colors in late flowering as well and after a few generations it has reached an impressive potency for an imported landrace, hitting 15% THC easily:

picture.php

picture.php

Another comes from Luanda and won’t turn purple or red on the stems, full green but very wispy as well and flowers for 16+ weeks just like the other, not just as potent but very similar anyway. Here grown indoors by a friend:

picture.php

picture.php

I have a third Angolese that came from bagseeds a portuguese friend saved, but I haven’t the chance to get through this one yet.

On the other hand, they all look and behave pretty much like other central african landraces I’ve grown before, like Ghana, Central African Republic, Ethiopian or Congo. Classic discreet terpenes, sesquiterpene dominating (piney, woody, pepper, spicy), foxtail open flower structure, stretchy and pretty long flowering.

When I have the chance I'll go through those and try to release some seeds, but I'm currently pretty busy testing Malawi Gold hybrids for a collaboration with Green Hornet's former breeder, since he has been planning a possible comeback.

Vibes.

ahortator

Veteran
LMN had nothing to do whith the name Angola Red/Roja
It was already called Boi Vermelho in the 70s...long before the internet :D

Hi Raco! How are you I miss you since the CC times!

¡Qué alegría me da leerte!¡Qué recuerdos del hilo aquel de variedades andorranas con el begginer!¡Y los doblajes de las aventuras del Napiato en cine afgano del Equilibrista¡Te he echado de menos un montón! ¡Un abrazo tío!

:thank you::jump:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
LMN had nothing to do whith the name Angola Red/Roja
It was already called Boi Vermelho in the 70s...long before the internet :D

Hey brother! Good to see you around!! How's the season going?

Indeed, Boi Vermelho and I've also hear Bula from Angola among some Portuguese growers. Red Bull? Must be because of the strong kick! haha. :D

The boom of weed in Portugal came after 1074 when the "retornados" came back to Portugal from the colonies (Angola, Moçambique, Cabo Verde, Sao Tome e Principe, Guinea Bissau) without much resources and saw in cultivating ganja a good way to make some money during this new start. So it's said during a few year it was so common to find all those african varieties within the streets of Lisbon and Porto. Some people used to say it smelled like grilled fish but I bet that was because of the roasted oil from the seeded buds burning! .

Best! :dancer:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The boom of weed in Portugal came after 1074 when the "retornados" came back to Portugal from the colonies

Typo ....1974 :D

Never heard ....They were called milicos afaik

Hola ahortator, Mustafunk and everyone else :wave:

I first smoked angolese herb by the end of 1975/early 1976... it was outstanding :joint:
Also smoked boi verde and angoleña negra/black ...early 80s

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
What ever happened to the guy that had the Red Angola line if my memory serves me right he shared it and people broke there agreement with him.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Typo ....1974 :D

Never heard ....They were called milicos afaik

Hola ahortator, Mustafunk and everyone else :wave:

I first smoked angolese herb by the end of 1975/early 1976... it was outstanding :joint:
Also smoked boi verde and angoleña negra/black ...early 80s

Yeah, I've meant 1975 and onwards. Not just the military men, also civil returnees after Angola independence was gained during the civil war where the Portuguese lost one of their most valued colonies. Most probably, the Portuguese soldiers learned about the interesting benefits from smoking the liamba during the war. I'm sure the angolese soldiers were very familiar with it!

Sempreatentos...aoperigo%21.jpg

I've also hear about the Boi Verde and Boi Preto from Cabo Verde.

About the "retornados":

https://elpais.com/diario/1976/11/21/internacional/217378803_850215.html

Since the beginning of 1975, when the Angolan civil war began and the Portuguese colonies in Africa declared their independence, more than half a million people returned to Lisbon. At first, these "overseas Portuguese", both black and white, did so by their own means and sometimes managed to move some of their belongings, as well as their money. Later, the African liberation movements forbade the mass exodus of the Portuguese and it was the metropolitan authorities themselves who had to organize the "return operations".

It is estimated that 400,000 Portuguese returned from Angola alone, whose trips were paid for by the Portuguese government. Only the inhabitants of the big Angolan cities were able to move their belongings to the continent. Those who lived in the fields where the various guerrilla groups were fighting, were able to save their lives and little else.

In an impressive exodus, which took place mostly in September, October and November 1975, the Portuguese government was forced to house them in barracks, religious centers and hotels, whose bills were paid by the government.

[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzd9_gh646U[/YOUTUBEIF]

Meanwhile in Angola:

[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT6jNLkXxzo[/YOUTUBEIF]

[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzM8FO6vmHQ[/YOUTUBEIF]

Anon-A-Moose

Snowhigh Seeds has a pure Angola Red preservation, but they ain't cheap.

From the November menu:

ANGOLA RED: This is the pure line of Angola Red preserved pure using a very red male that bled red sap, red stems and petioles as well as other red features, not all phenotypes will be red as some are green, but you will get a large percentage of red features some more than others. $300 for 10 seeds. Like I say, not cheap, but a group of us on another site chipped in on some of Snowhigh's strains. We decided there was a good chance they're legit, so we got a pack of them. If you're interested, his email is
genetixgenius at gmail.com

Tamalero

Hi Guys 😀

Thanks for share this valuable information about Angola.

I would like to post some photos of my Angolas. These plants come from Exotic alchemy (Supposed to be pure LMN Angola red), fisrt time growing seeds from them, I´m giving a try.

The plants are growing outdoor in Colombia, no aditional Light 12/12 all the time. Sometimes very rainy, sometimes very sunny. Im noticed slighty broad leaf at the beginning, as Mustafunk told us before maybe this Angola line could be a Sativa hybrid 🤷‍♂️. I have grown a lot of colombian landraces, but this Angola at this moment in vegetative state looks to me slighty touched by other BLD. we will see in some weeks the evolution into flowering stage.

Attachments

• photo2077813.jpg
    photo2077813.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 45
  • photo2077814.jpg
    photo2077814.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 47
  • photo2077815.jpg
    photo2077815.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Latest posts