What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just me and my worms

Well every time i seem to be getting closer to where i want to be something always happens and i got to start over with what im doing. Example, in December i had me two beautiful plant that i planned on harvest around the end of the month, clones right behind that. Well i had to end up moving and had to chop my plants early. wasnt the worst harvest i had but not the best. First 100 percent organic though.
Well now im staying at my brother with no room to do shit. the only thing i have is my worms setting in the kitchen. In about a month the me and my family will be moving in to our new place.
when i dont get to grow i go into planning mode and from the time im awake to the time i go to bed im doing nothing but setting here researching. There is so much to learn and i never get bored learning about organics. At the same time i feel like my head is going to explode from all the info it takes in.
My worms and i are bored and want to get to work. Where should one start when having to start over. Its freezing out where im at so i dont think working on making compost would work outside right now. Ive been reading alot about bokashi composting and thought i might start with that. i have also made some lactobacillus serum. Just trying to get things started now for when i move im that much more caught up.
Any ideas on what i could do now to save time later would be great.
thanks for any advice.

Granger2

Veteran
Since you can't grow anything, try to get the worms in high gear to make as much of their majic stuff as possible to use when you get situated. Good luck. -granger

Ftscustm

I am with you brother!

I am with you brother!

Well every time i seem to be getting closer to where i want to be something always happens and i got to start over with what im doing. Example, in December i had me two beautiful plant that i planned on harvest around the end of the month, clones right behind that. Well i had to end up moving and had to chop my plants early. wasnt the worst harvest i had but not the best. First 100 percent organic though.
Well now im staying at my brother with no room to do shit. the only thing i have is my worms setting in the kitchen. In about a month the me and my family will be moving in to our new place.
when i dont get to grow i go into planning mode and from the time im awake to the time i go to bed im doing nothing but setting here researching. There is so much to learn and i never get bored learning about organics. At the same time i feel like my head is going to explode from all the info it takes in.
My worms and i are bored and want to get to work. Where should one start when having to start over. Its freezing out where im at so i dont think working on making compost would work outside right now. Ive been reading alot about bokashi composting and thought i might start with that. i have also made some lactobacillus serum. Just trying to get things started now for when i move im that much more caught up.
Any ideas on what i could do now to save time later would be great.
thanks for any advice.

I am not going to be able to shine a light on soil overly much, I grow in coco at the moment and am just about to revert to D.W.C again. I am stopping by really to say: I am consumed by this green goddess of magic and share your pain for not being able to grow at the mo. I have some Ghetto gals that wish to say hello and warm your wait.. I grew their mothers from seed according to the moons cycle. I sucked the seeds, so that they may absorb me into them with the saliva. Then I abused them in experimentation from clone to....still now. I could list the hurting I have put on these girls, however this is too long already.
Have faith and tell them you love them so, they can tolerate all you have to throw at them and more...

Ftscustm

Forgot what got me here

Forgot what got me here

I started my growing career with a snapped off top from a white rhino clone. Thinking I would give her the best I had to offer, I potted her in a 50/50 mix of John Innes potting compost and worm casting from my beloved worm farm: No way that should have rooted is my thinking!
I miss those worms, I set them free before researching the soil threads: IDIOT.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
make sure to vary your inputs into your worm farm for best results...bannanas ,squash ,cucumber ect..small amounts of meals and such don't hurt either...then you will have castings better than store bought by a mile...

St. Phatty

I like feeding worms the old pot I find when I clean through my stash.

I figure if they eat pot, their castings will have a good NPK profile.

My worm pile is outdoors under a tarp, about 8 feet by 14 feet, maybe 2 feet high in the center. I put leaves on top of the tarp to help protect from colder temperatures, and I try to feed them really good meals, when I do open up the tarp.

Of course, then the chickens love to feast on the worms. :woohoo: Got to make sure I re-tarp it !

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you are a coffee drinker - used grounds actually make them go nuts, I've found. It's easy to over do it...and I don't drink but maybe 2 or 3 cups a week (2tbsp grounds per cup)...

So I don't put a lot of grounds in there - but they seem to like a monthly infusion - which for me isn't but maybe at most a full cup of used grounds..

Anyway...it's a good input. Works great in compost piles too in place of a "green" input...

dank.Frank

Ftscustm

Genius

Genius

make sure to vary your inputs into your worm farm for best results...bannanas ,squash ,cucumber ect..small amounts of meals and such don't hurt either...then you will have castings better than store bought by a mile...

What we put into our machine of a body has massive effect on its performance: Your worms diet has inspired me to tend to these wriggling lovelies once more: This thread has made me regret my decision to facilitate their freedom the last time some were in my care. Thanks all here for bringing new life into my method.

Ftscustm

I like feeding worms the old pot I find when I clean through my stash.

I figure if they eat pot, their castings will have a good NPK profile.

My worm pile is outdoors under a tarp, about 8 feet by 14 feet, maybe 2 feet high in the center. I put leaves on top of the tarp to help protect from colder temperatures, and I try to feed them really good meals, when I do open up the tarp.

Of course, then the chickens love to feast on the worms. :woohoo: Got to make sure I re-tarp it !

Always a problem exists of what to do with the mountains of clippings: Wankered worms - wonderful stuff :laughing:

Ftscustm

if you are a coffee drinker - used grounds actually make them go nuts, I've found. It's easy to over do it...and I don't drink but maybe 2 or 3 cups a week (2tbsp grounds per cup)...

So I don't put a lot of grounds in there - but they seem to like a monthly infusion - which for me isn't but maybe at most a full cup of used grounds..

Anyway...it's a good input. Works great in compost piles too in place of a "green" input...

dank.Frank
Coffee seems to pop up in my research alot and introducing the stuff at this stage makes remarkable sense. Dank Frank, you are my soil hero and it is with batted breath that I await your product release onto the market. I have searched and searched for you since I joined and am over joyed to find you here with coffee flavoured worms. I am a diligent student and will enjoy chasing your threads. Be well, Sir..

Much appreciated!

Much appreciated!

I am not going to be able to shine a light on soil overly much, I grow in coco at the moment and am just about to revert to D.W.C again. I am stopping by really to say: I am consumed by this green goddess of magic and share your pain for not being able to grow at the mo. I have some Ghetto gals that wish to say hello and warm your wait.. I grew their mothers from seed according to the moons cycle. I sucked the seeds, so that they may absorb me into them with the saliva. Then I abused them in experimentation from clone to....still now. I could list the hurting I have put on these girls, however this is too long already.
Have faith and tell them you love them so, they can tolerate all you have to throw at them and more...
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59073&pictureid=1384284&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59073&pictureid=1384283&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59073&pictureid=1384282&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59073&pictureid=1384281&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Thanks man, its good to know im not alone. The Ghetto girls look great, send them my love!:canabis:

As for the worms I have been feeding them bananas, green peppers, lettuce, egg shells, and lots of coffee grounds, give them some bread sometimes, gave them some oats the other day. I got a equal mix of alfalfa meal and kelp meal with a half part of corn meal that i sprinkle on top they seem to like. I keep them in a clear bin that is put into a dark bin. They been in the bin for about 4 months now, the bottom 5 inches is straight castings, then the top 3 is now a mix of castings and pelite. Then that is all covered with coffee filters and cardboard.

Ftscustm

As for the worms I have been feeding them bananas, green peppers, lettuce, egg shells, and lots of coffee grounds, give them some bread sometimes, gave them some oats the other day. I got a equal mix of alfalfa meal and kelp meal with a half part of corn meal that i sprinkle on top they seem to like. I keep them in a clear bin that is put into a dark bin. They been in the bin for about 4 months now, the bottom 5 inches is straight castings, then the top 3 is now a mix of castings and pelite. Then that is all covered with coffee filters and cardboard.

More feeding tips: Thank you! With that diet, I wonder what the worms themselves taste like.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
all my coffee goes in along with cut up tea bags....I wonder if the little guys get a caffine buzz????

bigshrimp

Veteran
I have fed huge amounts of coffee grounds with no problems. Though sometimes my lechate looks like espresso XD. Mix a little kelp and ash in with the grounds and let get funky for a few days - the feed to worms - mine go buckwild.

I've been picking up large quantities from my local starbucks. My compost pile seems a little sandy still so i plan on cutting it with about 25% grounds letting it go for another summer.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Banana peels is something my worms love the most, I lay the whole peel out flat on top of the substrate... they all come up and feed off the old fruit on the inside of the peel!

Latest posts

Latest posts