What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This is bullshit!!!!!

castout

Veteran
I have been intently watching what has been going on over the years with abortion rights, and am completely horrified that in this enlightened age, many people and many (MALE) lawmakers are seeking to reverse abortion rights.
I have a daughter, and one day, she will probably have a daughter, and I cannot believe that American Legislators and American citizens are feeling like this country should even have this on the page of contemplation. I am too young to remember what it was like when abortion was illegal, but my Mother told me stories...horror stories.
When I was 23, I got pregenant, and although at first, we were very happy, I got news that my unborn child had a condition called anencephaly, which meant he had no brain stem, and was never going to develop a full skull.
I had the docs redo every test. I refused to believe what was happening...but it was indeed happening. I discussed all options with the doctors, and they all agreed that the baby would not suvive beyond a few hours, and would just have to be hooked up to machines for survival.
I went 23 weeks of agonizing, and the doctors warning me that nothing would change. I felt like the brain would start to develop, the brain stem would show up on a ultrasound and the skull would appear, and my baby would be fine. Unfortunately for me, that was not the case.
I was 24 weeks, and I had a very late term abortion. It was a terrible experience. I thought I would die from the emotional conflict.....I killed my baby.
A few days of misery followed, and I wouldn't even look at my sons...I had killed their brother.
Finally, my youngest son came into my room, and climbed into bed, and asked me how his baby brother was doing. I didn't want to cry, and i wasn't going to lie. I told him that his baby brother was sick, and was going to go to heaven, with other angels, to watch over us. My beautiful little boy, looked up at me, and put his little hands on my face, and said "Mama, we are lucky to have our angel baby watching us, instead of a stranger angel".......then he said "Mama, I am gonna bury Leonardo(his fave teenage mutant ninja turtle action figure) so our angel has a good toy to play with".
It took my children to wake me up, and get me out of the self loathing i was feeling.
I did exactly what needed to be done, for my unborn child, and my living children. My unborn son, would have had no quality of life, and would have only known suffering.
As a woman, that has had an abortion, I can speak about this. It was an awful experience, but I thank God every day, that I had the option.
I cannot believe that anyone is considering taking that option off the table, for any woman, to make that choice. It is not an easy choice to make, and it has lifelong repercussions, but it must remain the RIGHT of the woman, whether she chooses to end an unwanted pregnancy, whether she chooses to end the life of her child rather than have the child suffer from an illness, etc......or whether she chooses to have her child.......it is HER right, and should remain safe and legal.
It pisses me off that legislators are trying to take us back to the dark ages, when young women were using coat hangers.
With everything going on in the world, and in the U.S. it just amazes me that something that was decided long ago, is back up for discussion.
KEEP ABORTION SAFE AND LEGAL....or put your money where your mouth is, and YOU raise all these children, that for whatever reason, THE MOTHER, decided she could not raise into a good and decent human being. Because that is exactly what it is...it is a decision that doesn't come lightly...and it says to the woman deciding to abort, that she is incapable of handling the responsibility of raising a sick child, or she knows she is unable to handle raising a good person. I think a woman coming to grips with that reality, should be acknowledged as the responsible woman she is. It is the hardest thing in the world, to end the life of your unborn child, no matter what the reason is, and the decision does not come easy.
KEEP ABORTION SAFE AND LEGAL FOR OUR DAUGHTERS, OUR SISTERS, OUR FRIENDS......AND NOW, OUR GRANDAUGHTERS!!!!!!!

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
yes it is very sad that more and more fascist laws are being used to tell all of us what we can and can't do with our own bodies (both male and female), let alone what we can and can't say..

this isn't an enlightened age at all imo because people en masse are consenting every second more and more to trade their birth given rights for state privileges, technology and the illusion of security through state surveillance, but mostly it does seem like people just don't care anymore through conditioned apathy and lack of knowledge of history..

imo for women there is always a danger of becoming treated like cattle again as this enlightened age reveals itself to be a dark age.

justpassnthru

Veteran
I can recall when abortion was illegal and all the tragic stories of self-mutilation through abortion. Abortion should be a right, as equally as circumcisions. jpt

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
only thing there is the person as a baby can't say they actually want circumcising.. and i don't know about female circumcision either, as in i don't approve, but if it is not my culture or custom then it's not my problem.. we can't solve our differences through force..

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
I moved to one of the absolute most liberal thinking places on EARTH simply because I was sick of everyone

I love where I live, but no one knows how to fucking drive a car, it's unreal

Potland, home sweet home

_Ina_

Veteran
i'm sorry to say that but Americans have big problems with their laws:no GMO labeling?!your personal doctor may not tell you if you are poisoned by fracking?!so they can poison everyone slowly but you can't make an abortion if you think it is right?!may be they need more consumers,no matter if they are healthy or not(if they are not healthy they will consume more pillls,great for those who sale pills,right). You gotta do something with that stupid government that you have there,really:)

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I once read about when and where this got started. If I had written it down at the time I could give you the date of the meeting, and names of some involved. They were looking for a wedge issue that could split voters apart. They went through a number of possibilities and then someone piped up and suggested abortion as the issue that could split the American electorate apart. Ding ding, they had a winner. The big protestant churches were taken over by politically motivated people. And now their labor is bearing fruit.

S

Sat X RB

please think about this. this is what is at the bottom of the mentality you speak of ... in fact is at the bottom of the female/male divide. the issue will always remain:

for women sex happens INSIDE them. for men sex happens OUTSIDE them. (perhaps homosexual men can understand.)

impossible to merge the two experiences. both experiences are indisputably real. both experiences inform gender world view at the most basic level.

such is the Irony of Life ... thank goodness!

Nannymouse

i realize that each side has very strong reasoning.

i thought about it once, didn't do, glad i didn't, but have the opinion that having the choice is good and will defend the woman's right to decide what is best.

dammit, what happened to the bowling ball thread?

As far as politics, i have no patience to listen to anti-abortion rants (or even conversations) unless that party is willing to feed and clothe those babies after they are born...AND do away with capital punishment.

Keep on it gals, or we will lose legal rights that protect women, including the right to vote.

'Boogieman'

I'm in it to restore my right to own fully automatic firearms, if you get an abortion or not makes no difference to me.

Grover Sativa

I'm sure you've all been waiting to hear my male perspective/opinion on this....

.... or maybe not.

Men are allowed to have opinions about abortion. Don’t let yourself be bullied into silence! Your view is valid (unless the most aggressive people don’t agree)

G

As a man and mostly conservative I’m not a fan of abortion BUT I very strongly support a woman’s right to choose. If I had my way for starters every girl that goes into puberty and has the ability should be on birth control until 18. Don’t say what about the guys cause it’s simply easier to block the eggs than the swimmers for sure. But that’s not gonna happen. That’s why I also support free birth control and wish it was used more. That’s pretty much the goal to not need abortions. I also support free abortions for those least able to pay for them. If you can’t feed em don’t breed em.