What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What happens if I...Don't Harvest?

I might be away from my outdoor girl when harvest time comes around. I only have one plant, so what would happen if I don't harvest the buds in october? Can i expect the plant to regenerate and be ready to grow next season? I can definitly harvest her next year. Ty, peace.

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
no it will die and rot just like anything else.. i would harvest it. if not... just pretend it never existed.

^ Beat me to it by a minute, but I had to wax stonish. :D

Nope, it's an annual, not a perennial, so one-shot. Only hope of regeneration is hermaphrodite (is that really optimal? Of course not! but might be something), or if you had multiple plants, and included males....or maybe a random near-by pollination that you never expected (that'd be cool!) could yield seeds and they could sprout in the next season if they were mature and dropped. Possible, but it'd be mother nature and her abilities over hoping an annual becomes a perennial. So no. :D

(oh man I'm so high...forgive)

Cone Head

I have to disagree here. I have seen an unharvested plant survive winter and re-veg in spring to a full harvest the following year, this was in Australia, 35 degrees south. The buds died off but the plant itself stayed alive. Providing the winter is not too cold, it can happen, especially Sativa's. I've heard its more common in the tropics.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I have to disagree here. I have seen an unharvested plant survive winter and re-veg in spring to a full harvest the following year, this was in Australia, 35 degrees south. The buds died off but the plant itself stayed alive. Providing the winter is not too cold, it can happen, especially Sativa's. I've heard its more common in the tropics.

Yep. Just like re-vegging. Any plant that doesn't die off from cold is going to eventually re-veg and re-bloom.

AF's all die off though, right? Their death is programmed in, just like their bloom, isn't it?

est1977

i had a plant i discovered growing outside fully budded and is now revegging i cut off some of the bud and what i left started "unraveling" and revegged and sprouted new growth

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
If you are back before the vegging cycle starts then it wont revert. The recommended flower time is just a window. Sativas usually have a three week cutting time before all amber sets in and indicas have about two. You want to cut in the optimal times but if you dont and wait longer it will be more then ok.

Hopefully it can stay alive throught the winter then :). So it freezes where i'm at and snows, i think the lowest it got last winter was around -4c. What temps can a plant survive until?

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Not gonna survive, you either have to chop it or forget it, as you've already been told. I know it sucks to get advice you don't want to hear, but you should take it.

Visitor

Or you can make one of your friends happy, and tell him where plant is, and than he choped it for you :)
And try to agree 50% - 50% deal

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I had a friend whom had a old school Northern Lights that he left in his garage over winter and in the spring he found them again and they were still alive. The winter got down to -20 degree's celcius and they still lived! I think it probably got down to -2 or so in the garage and they stayed alive. They are hardy little buggers.

I heard once that when the outside temp gets to 0 and everything freezes the processess that keep the plant alive elevate that temp to over 2 degree's celcius. I wish I could remember where I found the article, but makes sense.

TGT