What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone having PH problems in Pro-Mix?

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
moonymonkey said:
was wandering if it was a all organic grow?...soil chemistry 101...it depends on wat u feed it,an how its done,type of water an its starting ph,size of pots,how much drainage u use and how its arranged...can def. afect ph...no question..u can run a higher ph in a larger volume of soil....same with hydro...good point on the orange bag,a heads up...ph can b done many ways,wat u want though is stable ph..can alsodepend on thesoil mix wat u can do with it. peace moon/xxxxx

I use Fish Emulsion or urine in veg, mixing with PBP bloom adding DNF booster or PK13-14 in bloom. I'll sometimes add some Epsom salt to the mix for some Mg. It may not be totally organic, I'm not sure if the PK is, they call the ingredients pure & PBP is debatable for some. Using these or similar nutes with the triple mixes frees up me having to pH at all. Yes the nutes help regulate the pH.

On the linked grow he's fed, he's fed some more than stopped feeding ~ Pro-Mix has a tendency to lock up when this occurs, it's written in my thread. I feed/leech every watering with my tap water than leech my soil the last week with only the final watering plain tap. That's a 10-25% nute solution. I don't flush PM I leech only, it works better than flushing. There's always an exception but the rule is no flush or you'll leave the girls very hungry.

Tainted water can mess with the mix. That would be a tainted water issue. You can screw the pH up if you're fighting it but that's not a run out of lime pH issue. You would need to find out why it's getting messed up & trouble shoot the cause not the symptoms. The poster of the link says im pretty sure its just lock out from bad ph I'd say he's whacked out the pH by over/under feeding, bad pH is the result not the cause. You can't just say I'll add lime next round & continue with what they were doing. Over under feeding will still happen & mess with the grow.

Sunshine #1-4 mixes are the same as BX & HP, they're called Triple Mixes. Landscapers use it on lawns here. My hydro store carries PM HP as does my local nursery but for double the price.

Last edited:
T

toodles

I'm always suspicious of advice given by people with shitty looking plants....whatever their excuse/reason is.

I'd lime that promix if I were you.

Toodles
:rasta:

One of my own SSH x SSH crosses(#68) on day 30 of flower.

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
toodles said:
I'm always suspicious of advice given by people with shitty looking plants....whatever their excuse/reason is.

I'd lime that promix if I were you.

Toodles
:rasta:

They're looking a pretty good at this stage. I'd cut back on the N now completely & let them finish without not including the small amount that's in PBP if they're 60 dayers.

Hey do you have any links to the topic at hand, pH issues in straight PM BX or HP? Apparently there's a few of them, I can't find them. I won't be adding any lime but the poster will. I've been very successful & not looking for pretty plants LoL. That's not true I like the fall foliage better is all. He thinks there may be a conspiracy in the making or a possibility of a bad bail. What do you think about his post? I don't get giddy over green harvests & he's the one asking questions.

He's been successful up until this point without extra lime like the linked grower & the linked grower is boasting his largest crop to date even with the problems. So it makes me wonder since I don't believe the PM pH caused his problems. If there's many, if any PM pH issues around being the fault of the triple mix products none have signed up here to date.

Last edited:
T

toodles

Are you talking to me?

Cut back Nitrogen? My plants haven't had a thing but molasses and LK for the last 63 days...since sprouting. and no way will I give them any extra nitrogen at this point.

The two hazey phenos(not pictured here) probably have another 7-8 weeks to go since I think they will be 12-14 week plants. The one pictured might be a 10-11 weeker though with only 5-6 weeks more.

If you are having success growing without adding lime to promix, good for you...and everyone else.

Water quality certainly will make a difference.

And I suppose the poster could have gotten a bad bail somehow. He has long experience with promix so I assume he knows what he's doing.

Here's the deal about lime for me.

IMO...It doesn't hurt to add dolomite lime to any of these commercial soil mixes. I add it routinely....just as I always add sweetner to my coffee!! :rasta: Why people, especially new growers, resist adding dolomite lime to their mix is simply a mystery to me. If they add it in the beginning, the chances of pH problems and Ca/Mg problems are GREATLY diminished.....assuming they have fulfilled all the other soil making requirements.

And if folks are happy with growing shitty looking plants, hey that's fine with me.

**I** prefer to grow healthy, green plants. My theory is healthy plants make better quality buds. As for quantity/yield. I could give a shit. Again, I feel growing healthy, robust, plants will also make for a good yield...good enuf for me anyway.

Those who grow for commercial reasons have a completely different goal I suppose. And so **my** way of growing and **my** advice probably isn't appropriate for those guys. I just do small 3-4 plant grows for my own personal use.

Toodles
Dolomite Lime Fan :rasta:

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
toodles said:
Are you talking to me?

Cut back Nitrogen? My plants haven't had a thing but molasses and LK for the last 63 days...since sprouting. and no way will I give them any extra nitrogen at this point.

The two hazey phenos(not pictured here) probably have another 7-8 weeks to go since I think they will be 12-14 week plants. The one pictured might be a 10-11 weeker though with only 5-6 weeks more.

If you are having success growing without adding lime to promix, good for you...and everyone else.

Water quality certainly will make a difference.

And I suppose the poster could have gotten a bad bail somehow. He has long experience with promix so I assume he knows what he's doing.

Here's the deal about lime for me.

IMO...It doesn't hurt to add dolomite lime to any of these commercial soil mixes. I add it routinely....just as I always add sweetner to my coffee!! :rasta: Why people resist adding dolomite lime to their mix is simply a mystery to me. If they add it in the beginning, the chances of pH problems and Ca/Mg problems are GREATLY diminished.....assuming they have fulfilled all the other soil making requirements.

Toodles
Dolomite Lime Fan :rasta:

Yes I was, your pics were day 30 that's about when I stop the N in my grows.

Moving along I can agree with adding lime, it won't hurt. If peeps are following BOG's recipe for example I believe it calls for amendments other than lime so it's now a mixture & not straight PM. Probably a good idea to follow them to a T. I have a bag of lime I'll try to track it down & do a test plant, if results are there so will the lime. I don't have any bodies to use it on at the moment.

Straight triple mixes are as simple as it can get & as I've been trying to say, I don't see people having pH issues from it unless they've messed up. Even than the harvests usually go fairly well. Growing can be as complicated as one wishes but it doesn't have to be that way. We can achieve good results with minimal chance for error.

Happy Thanksgiving Day ~ In Canada it's to celebrate the Harvest.

moonymonkey

thnx for the replie on organic or not..there are many ways u can make pro-mix for you,with or with out lime...watever works best for yo....even on top of florals foam... ETC....moon/put back from which you have taken....

MedxGrowr

Have been running promix mix for a year. My nutes go in 5.8 and I get a run off of 6.2 and my plants are healthy. I just started a new run and bought a bale of pm hp with mycorrhizae. I am having severe ph issues. My runoff is 6.8 and it is showing in my plants. I have tried lowering the ph of the nutes to bring it down it just will not budge.

Rondon

Back years ago...before coco coir was popular (or even heard of) Sunshine and Promix peat based soilless mixes werw the go to medium besides rockwool and hydroton (called Geolite by Hydrofarm back then). I and many others bought truckloads of bales of it. The manufacturers claim the acidic peat was balanced by adding dolomite lime powder...and it is but ive always added a tad more myself plus skme worm castings. D lime quickly washes out if you veg a long time or if you grew long season sativas. Add a touch more d lime i always said.