What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What gives outdoor grown that taste and smell ?

BerrySeal

Foliar rock dust + adalted microbiology > plastic fumes bottled non-native colonies and lab chemicals.

Look at all the terpene colored dirt washing off those outdoor buds, oh my. Hope you wore your hair net and rubber gloves for 3 months, dander head. And if you drip sweat just run a little Mitchums over a cheese grater, fixed.

Cat hairs are obviously good for bud, best bud ever always has cat hair! Worst bud has dog hair. Fact!

Outdoor seems to have more sesquiterps than average indoor but that's a function of bad indoor growing. Outdoor is still the standard and control, not the variable. Alcohol terps without sugar terps, shit half of breeding is bringing these 2 properties into a complimentary pair,but I'd rather have sugary hash than lemon juice on my tongue when it boils down to it. People with zero taste buds are opposite. They want that off-gassing bud with zero flavor, just something with an external smell to make them feel like they got what they paid for, before taking pics for Instagram. And Yofumo and others are filling that void, citrus peel impregnated buds for all the dumb kiddies lol. Soon they'll be eating watermelon rinds too

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I was listing to a interesting podcast with Ed Rosenthal they asked him about indoor vs outdoor. Ed said he thinks the biggest difference is the light, when most outdoor is flowering the light diminishes(less light, lower in the sky) as the plant finishes flowering.

Ed Rosenthal seems to have a preference to outdoor, he was saying that in a long growing environment like Sth Central Cali when people cover plants(manipulated light) and plants can flower in Augest, September that the buds will be as good or better then indoor.

It was an interesting angle from an old time grower.

What podcast was Ed in?

Easy7

Veteran
Big sunholy weed loks like she can produce nice resin.

Mostly I find cannabis just loves to be outside. There are not a lot of limits to her growth out there, or stress. Given that if she's not as adapted the story could be different. But she can be bred for a locality and adapt very well.

Plus living indoors with the smell we get to smell them a lot more.

green404

What podcast was Ed in?

I think it was What are you smoking ? ep 39 I was listing to, When I look it up on line it seems to be broken so I'm not sure.

Mostly I find cannabis just loves to be outside. There are not a lot of limits to her growth out there, or stress. Given that if she's not as adapted the story could be different. But she can be bred for a locality and adapt very well.

I like growing things outside, it is much more relaxing, Stuff grow slow here lat-40N we have a small window in July-Aug that things thrive then it dwindles.

When I get more settled with some better outdoor space I would like to work on an outdoor strain. Most likely a small early indica type here in Colorado. If I lived in the tropics.. I would have a rotating sativa garden for sure..

therevverend

Veteran
I grow outdoors and my plants don't have dirt, pesticides, ladybug and other insect shit all over them, animal shit, fungal spores, and whatever else you're imagining it does. I could easily fool you, tell you one of my outdoor flowers is indoor and you would believe it.

Washing off buds after harvest is one of the stupidest things I've seen. Considering that you could put your hose on mist and spray down your plants as often as you like. And if you don't do it God will, I have yet to make it through a grow season without it raining many times, usually at inopportune ones. When I mist my outdoor plants the water dripping off them isn't muddy brown it's clear.

I don't know how many indoor grow rooms I've been in where I've barely been able to breath from all the perlite, mold, mildew, chemicals, mud, dry rot. Usually blowing in my face from the fans. I've had dudes with their spray bottles literally hit me in the face with Avid, spinosad, pyrethrin. 9 out of every ten indoor growers do not have clean grow rooms and most of those have downright nasty ones.

The idea that outdoor pot somehow loses the subtle terpenes and flavors that indoor pot has is silly. All that ladybug shit and natural sunlight destroys the THC and terpenes to the point that it's hopelessly degraded? I'd argue that artificial light and hydroponic chemicals lack the building blocks necessary to create the more subtle chemicals and terpenes that make cannabis tasty and interesting. I've found outdoor pot has a far greater range of smell and flavor then the same strain grown indoors.

I find it hard to believe that humanity stumbled along growing shitty cannabis for thousands of years until a genius in the '70s created the HID and made real ganja possible. All the pot people grow everywhere but the US and Europe under lights lacks the good terpenes and tastes the same generic way?

There's a small % of indoor growers that are completely dialed in, that grow truly excellent pot. It's not easy to do takes a lot of time and energy, an immaculate grow space. 9 times out of 10 I'll take the excellent outdoor far better taste, terpene content, burns better, cleaner. I'll admit that the very best indoor grown by an expert grower who keeps a clean grow space can be just as good as the best outdoor.

Easy7

Veteran
I've picked cig butts out of the can and smoked those. So I don't think an outdoor bud bothers me much.

I can usually tell outdoor from the larf and the weathered appearance.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If your smoking cigs you still havent figured out the true taste of pot anyways. Oh and just for the record ... its the millennium.... most conscious human beings dont smoke cigs these days.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If your smoking cigs you still havent figured out the true taste of pot anyways. Oh and just for the record ... its the millennium.... most conscious human beings dont smoke cigs these days.

I wish I was conscious then. Had my first smoke at 9 and haven't stopped since. I've tried everything to quit. Acupuncture, acupressure, 3 kinds of pills, patches, sprays, inhalers, the gum.... even voodoo hypnosis. Everything. Nothing will get this monkey off my fucking back. BTW, Champix sent me back to my angry twenties and made me want to kill everyone. I'm intimidating enough without them so I deep-sixed em before I did some damage to the cat.

I never did any chemicals other than mesc (Cactus drink in Ecuador. What a trip. lol), and uh... that's about it. I don't drink or even smoke weed. But I have to admit, growing it is addictive as hell.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I ran a bulldozer for many years ... couldnt wear my dust mask because i couldnt smoke with it on. I kept looking at my mrs that weighed a 105 pounds and looked frail . I quit because I knew if I didnt she never would. That was about 25 years ago. I had a mantra that I would recite whenever i wanted a cig ,., which was constant. "Cigarettes are killing me and my family... i need to quit". I quit cold turkey, but would never touch one again as I have a true fear of starting again. Wife followed my lead and now weighs about 135 and looks healthy and says she feels great. Feels great to me :). I wish you luck on your quitting .... best advice i can give you ... Just quit. If not for yourself well then for the loved ones around you. I promise you once you get away from it you will realize its the best thing you ever did for yourself and your loved ones. Cant count on any of the quit smoking gimmicks ... but you can count on yourself. I was convinced that if I couldnt quit for my wife then I was a puss.... prefer not to think of myself as a puss ... so I HAD to quit.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
c’mon Elmer, terrior means a lot more than that.

G `day BH

Well while every one was enjoying the ignorance fest I thought I might as well join in the fun .

Terrior is ; the variety , the region and its soil profile inc micro organisms, the climate , the recipe the vintner uses . The techniques particular to that winery and yeasts and bacteria native to the winery .

Simplifying it as the soil or rain fall is to miss the synergistic relationships of the methodology .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Easy7

Veteran
Went in the trash, boohoo!

I vaped only for two weeks and started back smoking again last december. It was transcedental. I have a hard time denying myself pleasures because I feel very repressed. There are few options for stimulating attachments.

I'd love to reawaken that part of me again but it's so hard and weird. Tobacco is legal and even if I could smoke weed it really went with tobacco. I haven't learned to dissociate my desire for tobacco cause it's so deep. I used it and still do for repression and expression.

I smoke less than I used to. But it's up and down. Just really hard to stay away from and can be very disturbing. I'm not an ocean of self compassion. But I felt so high on compassion when I took that break and started back up. The high lasted a long time. Woke up all sorts of things, sensativities.

I am no Buddha!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I wish I was conscious then. Had my first smoke at 9 and haven't stopped since. I've tried everything to quit. Acupuncture, acupressure, 3 kinds of pills, patches, sprays, inhalers, the gum.... even voodoo hypnosis. Everything. Nothing will get this monkey off my fucking back. BTW, Champix sent me back to my angry twenties and made me want to kill everyone. I'm intimidating enough without them so I deep-sixed em before I did some damage to the cat.

I never did any chemicals other than mesc (Cactus drink in Ecuador. What a trip. lol), and uh... that's about it. I don't drink or even smoke weed. But I have to admit, growing it is addictive as hell.

Have you tried a liver flush?

The liver is the seat of anger. Excessively angry people ALWAYS have some failing liver function, toxin build up or impairment going on which is an ancient fact still as true today as when it was first written over 7000 years ago in China and India, and probably the west as well except the church burned it all.

it's a commitment, a change of pace and often an emotionally purging journey as well, but it might put 5-10 years on your life just doing it once in your lifetime, especially if you stop smoking because of it, then who knows..

The liver is where most excess toxins end up in blokes, because we often don't get the subcutaneous fat the ladies get, toxins love fat most, were talking shitty medications/heavy metals/that LSD overdose you took back in 78. And the liver being your most important tool to clean your body, doing over 400 things for you, is such an elephant in the room in our modern western world..

It's rewarding to see your pallor come back to a nice glow and get some extra sparkle back in your eyes..

just selling you natural health here because I love herbalism..

even if you pick back up the cigs, which you won't, you will see the value of flushing your liver clean once a year.

This goes for all you guys! seriously..

Don't be powerless..

Last edited:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldnt know about good outdoor. The only ive seen is the crap you guys cant get rid of and ship out ha.

therevverend

Veteran
It's true that dirt is a big factor in growing and most growers make their own dirt. Very few use their native soil.

When I was brewing you'd add certain chemicals to the water to make it hard or soft, like the water in the region the beer came from.

For instance in the part of Britain where the best pale ales come from the water is hard. Contains calcium and other minerals. So you add calcium carbonate and magnesium to your water when brewing a hoppy pale ale. As a grower you do the same thing.

What's ironic about growing, in the end you want to flush all that shit out. You want to leach away the chemicals the last two weeks of watering. In some ways the superior grower doesn't want a unique note from their soil-they want nothing at all only what the plant expresses.

Why it's so hard to grow indoor that tastes clean. People want to fertilize up until the last minute. The best indoor growers grow organic and have zero nutrients left in whatever medium they use by the end. I'll contradict myself by saying that chemicals plus photosynthesis are the building blocks of cannabis flowers. Whether they come from organic nutrients or slag from an industrial waste zone make a big difference. Most of the products at the hydro shop are the latter.

Why you get so much more vigorous growth and better flavors outdoors you don't have the beneficial microbes working in a hydroponic scheme. When I started growing indoors I had no idea about that kind of stuff I was growing in dead soil. I'm sure spores came and eventually grew and fed the plant's roots but the vigor was lacking back then.

So if we're talking about some of the truly amazing old time strains, say Thai Stick, you're not just talking about soil. You're talking about the water buffalo manure, whatever else they mix in, the balance of minerals in the local soil, and the types of local microbes contributing to the plant growth.

It's always fascinated to me the way every grower has their own flavor. I've had many friends who are excellent growers, I've shared strains with them. When they grow clones of a strain I've grown it always comes out a bit different. This is obvious but it's really cool if you think about it. I enjoy certain people's crops. Not just the taste and look of the buds, the high too.

I can picture in my head the way one guy's buds look and smell, how frosty they'd get. There's the fertilizers they use, the way they cure their buds, when they harvest their flowers. Maybe there's more to it then that?

I've grown tomatoes in the same place for many years. They have a certain flavor that no other tomato in the world has no matter the strain. I find that interesting. It's super tasty but after 3 months it starts getting old.

And as a side note, I can graze from my garden, eat my cherry tomatoes. Eat apples from my tree. I've done it many times without washing the veggies. And when I do there isn't mud and insect shit pouring off them. Still got to say that's a dumb dumb concept..

Easy7

Veteran
Won't be long until my tomatoes are ready. They are a little different every year. Topped more this year. But every year they get the same crap on lower leafs. I rotate but it's a small garden. Bugs got to the peppers this year, jus a few. Also wilt got one pepper after pinching lower growth. Ya, a fresh home grown tomato! The store watermelon and honey dew been good. Never grew a melon myself. Got trees all over here so not much light. That's why I pinch the tomatoes. Might buy rock phosphate for the garden, might not. Guano gets pricey.

green404

Quitting smaking was the best thing I ever did. Started at 13-14 and stopped in my 20s. I woke up one morning after a late night drinking and smoking hack brown nasty, my mouth tasted like dog crap. I said no more.

If you can quit. After a month or so I gets easier. Also using tabbaco that is not drenched in addictive chemicals helps.

For instance in the part of Britain where the best pale ales come from the water is hard. Contains calcium and other minerals. So you add calcium carbonate and magnesium to your water when brewing a hoppy pale ale. As a grower you do the same thing.

I used to brew beer and study brewing, water is huge in brewing. Sometimes I wonder about water and gardening I usually come back around to thinking that plants are more like filters that water goes tru and doesn't matter as much what elements are in the water. But I am always looking for proof that water(or certain types of water) make a difference in plant development.

And as a side note, I can graze from my garden, eat my cherry tomatoes. Eat apples from my tree. I've done it many times without washing the veggies. And when I do there isn't mud and insect shit pouring off them. Still got to say that's a dumb dumb concept..

In dry and windy climates like Colorado you can get a lot of dust on things. When gardens(houses, cars, anything) are next to a open field you will get stuff coated in dust.

Got trees all over here so not much light. That's why I pinch the tomatoes. Might buy rock phosphate for the garden, might not. Guano gets pricey.

Sounds similar to my tomato garden. They are surrounded by trees and get 3-4 hours of direct light a day. Some are doing great others are a little sad. I have a small budget this year no guano just recycled nutes.
We are going to get some hot sunny days this week they should start kicking in gear.

therevverend

Veteran
Yes I should mention in places like Morocco, Afghanistan, Lebanon, and it sounds like Colorado, that are windy and hot with very little water and lots of erosion plants can get covered in soil. Resin is of course very sticky and anything blown in the air will stick to it. To make good hashish you'd want to rinse off that dirt. But most outdoor growers have hoses.

When we had the wildfires last summer for a couple days my plants looked and smelled like ashtrays. Luckily I had my trusty garden hose, a misting took care of the ash and smell. I'm glad it wasn't at flowering time, I'm surprised I haven't heard stories about California smoke weed.

On the subject of erosion few people realize Morocco, Afghanistan, and Lebanon used to be covered in forests and still have some forest cover left. Brown bears used to be common in all three countries and the Lebanese cedar is famous. Unfortunately the forests have mostly been destroyed for fire wood and to feed goats and sheep plus the climate has changed over the last 2000 years. Once you lose a forest it's hard to get it back.

I haven't heavily analyzed the water I've used but it can become important. I use regular tap water which is fairly good where I live. I know the county adds stuff to the water I'd like to avoid but the plants don't mind it so I live with it.

There's an artesian spring nearby that has literally the best water. It's tested and posted online. And I tested it with my Brita water tester. The spring water is loaded with minerals the Brita water doesn't have. I used it whenever I made beer. Great for stouts, porters, and brown ales not so good for pale ales.

So I'd have to say for most growers in populated high tech areas water isn't much more then a medium to transport nutrients to their plants. But magnesium, calcium, my soil is deficient in these elements I know I'd benefit from water containing them.

I had a friend in Mendocino, some years his well would run low. It'd become extremely alkaline which would kill his plants. He'd have to go to the river with piles of gallon jugs, fill up hundreds of gallons and haul them back to his patch. Growing starts with water. I'm guessing in a lot of grow areas that are low tech the water factors in greatly. In some areas a major source of nutrients could be in the water they get if the farmers can't afford fertilizer.