What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drying and curing open in a basement?

p0opstlnksal0t

Does anyone dry and cure open in a basement? humidity is about 78% right now and temp stays around 55-57 degrees F. its usually around 65% RH constantly. its spiked now that ive chopped my entire crop and its slowly dropping maybe 1-2% humidity every 12 hours or so. my plan is to hookup the deheuy and a humidifier to keep the entire basement at 63% RH or so. has anyone dried and cured 30-40 mid sized plants hung in a basement instead of jarring/bagging after drying?

Also will 20-30 minutes of lights on per day cause any detrimental effects?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sound good from here.

As long as the RH continues to drop, I’d avoid using the dehuey just to eliminate the possibility of drying too quickly.

That moisture has to be going somewhere.

Fiddynut

I dry my harvest in my basement. Seems to work just fine. My temps are usually 65-72 degrees and RH is around 30% in winter and I use dehuy to keep it at 50% summers.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Does anyone dry and cure open in a basement? humidity is about 78% right now and temp stays around 55-57 degrees F. its usually around 65% RH constantly. its spiked now that ive chopped my entire crop and its slowly dropping maybe 1-2% humidity every 12 hours or so. my plan is to hookup the deheuy and a humidifier to keep the entire basement at 63% RH or so. has anyone dried and cured 30-40 mid sized plants hung in a basement instead of jarring/bagging after drying?

Also will 20-30 minutes of lights on per day cause any detrimental effects?
Light does degrade the trichs, but 30 minutes is peanuts. No worries.

You really shouldn't do it in your basement. It's not the smell permeating throughout the house, it's the damage the humidity will do to the basement. If you have a good tent setup, then it's ok. But it doesn't sound like you have one. One crop should only take 3-4 days to dry so not so bad, but still.... Vent vent vent.

I've seen grow ops in homes (asians were buying rural home and converting them into grow ops) and the mold was everywhere. Walls, heating, vents, ceilings, floors... everywhere. When discovered, a hazard remediation company needs to go in to the tune of 25k+ to make the house livable again. Then try and sell it. Once it's pegged as a grow op, it has to be disclosed to the new owners. That means the price will drop 30%. At least.

If you must, I suggest you get your hands on a couple huge dehumidifiers, and vent the room to the outside once a day. You can set your dehumidifiers at 50-60%.

webeblzr

I used a basement area for 17+ years.
Spring time, dehumidifier as far from the girls as possible.
I just folded a length of chicken wire (poultry netting) into an L shape and hung that from a clothes line by the washer and dryer, trimmed of fans, and poked buds into netting to hang, always 5-7 days, then snipped buds into masons.
I'm a small time grower, running a perpetual, 3-4 go in, 3-4 come out, cuts 2 clones, no mothers.
Good luck.

CrushnYuba

I don't use basements. We don't have them in Cali. And they smell like mildew and have weird spores in the air.
I do cure in rooms though. For large scale it doesn't make sense to bag/jar cure. You can do the same exact process in a room on a larger scale. Climate controlled room, either curing on the drying line, or in big cardboard boxes. I usually do boxes because space is limited and i need that dry line space. Look at how tobacco farmers cure.

green404

20-30 plants curing are going to smell.. Your entire house will probably smell.

You will want some ventilation at the least. When the plants dry they release all that green smell you want to get that out and away from your flowers. You could get a big carbon filter and run it, that might help the smell.

Latest posts

Latest posts