What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germinating taking time

Nostur

Hi, I have a question regarding germinating seeds. Currently I have 70 pieces of Big Bud XXL from Ministry, 20 pieces of Critical Jack from Dinafem and 3 pieces of Super Silver from Dinafem. I have them in humidity domes, and already transplanted 3 BB and 1 CJ to coco in plastic cups, because tap root was showing from below of grodan plug. However, at the moment, I have around 30 seeds sprouted, the others are taking their time. I was sowing 6 days ago. Is it normal? Or, to put the question the other way, is there still chance that the rest of seeds will sprout too?

How i sowed:
Temperature: 24-26°C
Humidity: 70-90%, changing air daily.
Currently I use 125W CFL for 18/6 cycle.
I used grodan plugs 1" for all of them, and put the seeds 0,3-0,8mm into the plug, and covered with the rockwool on the top, not hard, to ensure seeds will sprout.

If needed, I will supply pics.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some seeds take longer than others. Germinating, like Three Bears story....too little moisture, too much (flooding) seeds don't peek through seed shell.

Can you take a toothpick or something similar to poke around the coco, or move medium to see if seeds are mooshy, or starting to escape it's womb like environment? Or possibly planted too deep?

Doubtful it's old unviable seed, but all of us have had the misfortune of seeds that don't sprout.

Don't dispair....give it a week longer....checking under incubator material to see if anything is going on.

Good luck!!

Nostur

Hi, In the coco are only seeds which had taproot showing from under the rockwool plug.

I already picked around, trying to soften their entry way up. Some seem to slowly sprout, others are still intact. There's no sign of mold or anything. Plus the grodan plugs were soaked in 5.5PH water for few hours. The water was 1:1 mix of tap water with higher minerals and water for newborns, which I have plenty of lying around :))

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi, In the coco are only seeds which had taproot showing from under the rockwool plug.

I already picked around, trying to soften their entry way up. Some seem to slowly sprout, others are still intact. There's no sign of mold or anything. Plus the grodan plugs were soaked in 5.5PH water for few hours. The water was 1:1 mix of tap water with higher minerals and water for newborns, which I have plenty of lying around :))

So, not all is lost. Keep those that popped up going and growing!! YAY!

Taking them out after being soaked to rub the shell (some use a nail file or sand paper to scruff the outter shell before germinating) wouldn't be good....too easy to smash seeds if already soaked or soft.

Last edited:

Nostur

Yeah, I'm not gonna touch them at all, after all, nature almost always finds a way. It's just my first time growing from seeds, I have used clones for many years. Just wanted to make sure it is normal, and to make sure that the seeds can take up to 2 weeks to sprout :) I will keep it posted here with more info, and will add pics tomorrow when I'm gonna transplant few more imo. Thanks for the heds up :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I'm not gonna touch them at all, after all, nature almost always finds a way. It's just my first time growing from seeds, I have used clones for many years. Just wanted to make sure it is normal, and to make sure that the seeds can take up to 2 weeks to sprout :) I will keep it posted here with more info, and will add pics tomorrow when I'm gonna transplant few more imo. Thanks for the heds up :)

Excellent! Will be curious the final count and progress.

Again, don't be sad if not ALL germinate. Survival of the fittest!!! Anyway, you are well on your way to a successful grow....nice strain choices, as well!! ;o)

Nostur

I hope that at least 90% will germinate, it's crucial to me...

Anyways, here's the pics: http://imgur.com/a/37Doc

When I transplant all of them, I will switch to 600W HPS to speed them up, and then transplant to 11l pots in my grow location.

Nostur

Alright so update - Already 9 transplanted, and 46 sprouted, including the transplanted ones - I think I'm on good way to germinating at least 90% of them.