What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Home TLC Thin layer chromatography

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dongle,
nice! the brakes are off now!
Good to be on the pro plates if only to eliminate other issues that your plates mightve been giving you ... maybe then you'll be able to suss out the procedure for homemade plates to work? But maybe your "just buy pro-plates" recipe is still the best for homemade plates lol.

Jack,
doh unlucky! :( doesn't help that they call them both "Fast Blue BB" eh

The one i got is made by Wako (FUJIFILM Wako Pure Chemical Corporation), its 5 gm (which is HEAPS in this context!), its number thingy is "062-05463", and simply labelled "Fast Blue BB Salt", and CAS number is "5486-84-0", which yes is the one you said you need to get.

It's the same stuff that dongle has now, but made by a different company, and mines a bit clumpy now whereas dongles is still nice and powdery, tho i still get results as good and vibrant as the day i got it. If you google "062-05463" you'll see a few references. I just contacted a couple of labs in my country to see if they could get it for me (give them the CAS number!) and the first one i contacted said yes, and asked if i wanted 5gm, 25gm or 100gm. I'm glad i went with 5gm lol, which is a vial the size of a thumb. Now look back at the tiny plastic micro-scoop that I use lol... it'll last aaages. Store in your freezer.

:(
Ringodoggie ... so even Google and CAS number isn't enough?
I agree it is not the easiest thing to find, but it's out there.

Also, and again, try contacting your local labs/chemsupplies to ask if they can get it in for you.

Yes. If you say here in this thread "i got my FBBB from (eg) 'Bobs Chemsupplies'... ", can you not understand how that's a security issue for the person who posted it? eg. they're saying "this company has my financial record of the transaction" ...

I'm not sure why you're being so dismissive of security, it should be EVERYONES #1 priority, ALWAYS, and if it ever becomes a "LOL" matter then there's a problem that needs to be addressed or clarified.

Security is a false state of one's imagination imo, check out the Solvents link in my Signature, there you'll find the details of every purchase I made. My name, address, email address, phone number, along with other personal information has been posted up at this forum, and I've never been contacted by law enforcement.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/f3378?lang=en&region=US

Last edited:

dongle

I doubt LE is looking for small time non-patterns so that's fine. (Ie buying quantities of certain combinations of chemicals may be different story.)

But a slightly off topic: law enforcement rarely ever comes knocking ASAP. Almost every instance I've heard of, they let you bury yourself real, real fucking deep in a pile of evidence you will never be able to get off of. Then they come from every agency incl. IRS and take your entire life away.

If you're small time there's no need to worry.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
one would HOPE that LE is spending their time on more important issues than people trying to grow 1 plant of fricken high-CBD low-THC HEMP, yes

Today I finally received proper Fast Blue BB salt CAS 5486-84-0. Same problem as I had with Fast Blue BB CAS 120-00-3: the salt does not dissolve in RO water nor in 0.1M NaOH, it does dissolve in methanol, but that solution does not produce any colors on TLC plates, while separated dots are clearly visible under 254nm UV light. Plates were completely dried befor FBBB bath.

What do I do wrong?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Jack, if you haven't been able to produce a good TLC plate then something in your chain is failing. Please re-read my original posts ... TLC is actually quite simple, so you shouldn't be (or have to go through) experiencing the challenges you're currently experiencing. Go back over the posts in this thread and try to isolate where your problem is.

evidence

It's weird how the shape of the base of the jar (eg having more eluent depth around the edge than the middle of the jar) effects the shape of the TLC with a slight curve of the results ... or at least, it does with chloroform, but that doesn't happen with hexane : diethyl ether. *shrug!*

have you considered surface tension, or more precisely, that versus the adhesion to glass which determines the meniscus of the liquid? My hypothesis is that if you compare the menisci of chloroform and of the hexane/diethyl ether mixture then you'll see a much more evident meniscus for the former.

sadpanda

Anyone know where one can get the UV lamps required for TLC for a reasonable price?

UV lamps arent required for TLC for cannabinoids. Yes there are TLC plates that have fluorescent indicator like F254, but we don't use them for chromatography of cannabinoids when we're using a visual dye like Fast Blue B or Fast Blue BB. Just get regular TLC silica plates - no UV lamp required.