What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ICMAG'S OFFICIAL ~DIY~ LINK-O-RAMA

Cindiwaa

I would like to see a link to 5 gal buckets yeast and sugar Co2 making, I know I have read them but I cant find them and theres only one on the first page, Great thread some of the best info around!

Craven_au

Beer

Beer

I would like to see a link to 5 gal buckets yeast and sugar Co2 making, I know I have read them but I cant find them and theres only one on the first page, Great thread some of the best info around!

Just make Beer man i will be soon will save me a buck load.

I

inphu510n

For axial fan cooling.............. Pay attention to the series mount/set-up for high static pressure rooms.

http://www.comairrotron.com/airflow_note.shtml

Dude that confused me more. It said something about mounting fans in series but it didn't explain exactly what that means to them.
I mean, are they referring to one inlet fan and one outlet fan or do they mean two fans strapped together blowing in the same direction?

And to CarlCarlson, OMG awesome thank you!

A

Azeotrope

inphu510n - Sorry for any confusion! If you look at most axial fans they have mounting holes (4) and you just lay one on a table and then stack the other one on top of it (both blowing the same way). Then, using machine screws and locking nuts or washers you can bolt them together right through those holes. Note* Best to use identical fans.......

After that you can mount them as if they were one assembly.

I will post a pic of some later.

Have a good one.

Tilt

thanks pontiac for this thread. It has helped my broke ass get a grow goin...check it out you will see

carpster

4 1k lights on one 120v timer... perfect

4 1k lights on one 120v timer... perfect

Warning: Electricity will kill you, it does not care if you cry "uncle", you could be barbecued in no time. If you don't understand how this works, don't do it.

Anyone that has more than two 1000 watt lights in their home has probably run into the problem of how to supply power and turn them on and off. A standard 120 volt circuit in your home has a 15 amp rating, that means one light. Note: I will be using the term "120 volt" and "240 volt" to describe the two different types of circuits we will be working with only because that's the term the ballast manufactures use. They are often referred to as "110 volt" or "220 volt", actually if you measured the voltage with an accurate meter a 120 volt circuit often will be less than that an can vary. A 1000 watt light draws about 9.2 amps at 120 volts (1100 watts / 120 volts = 9.17 amps). See this page for other ballast wattages. On a 240 volt circuit the amperage is 4.6 amps (1100 watts / 240 volts = 4.58 amps), so when running multiple light systems, it's easier to wire them for 240 because you can use smaller wire.

Tools:
  • A drill
  • 3/16 drill bit
  • Screw Drivers
  • Wire Stripper, with Crimper
  • Pliers
What You gotta buy

6 x 6 x 4 Junction box$10.75

4 connectors, 20A 250V,
NEMA 6-20 style$21.00

4 feet of 14/3 SJO wire, more if you want to have the ballasts far from the power source.$2.32

pack of at lease 3, 8-32 x 1 inch machine screws and nuts$0.78

at least 15 ring terminals, 16 - 14 gauge wire, 8 - 10 stud.$2.55

Dryer cord, 3 wire, 10 gauge$8.29

16/3 power cord, 18/3 will work too$2.98

5, "Romex Clamps" or Cord Restraints$0.99

5, "Romex Clamps" or Cord Restraints$0.99

THE WORK

grow-light-controller-9.jpg

When power is applied to the small black cord (the relay coil) the power from the dryer cord goes to the four yellow connectors. You will also need a dryer outlet.

grow-light-controller-10.jpg

Here is the relay. The power from the dryer cord is connected to the "LINE" side and the power to the grow lights goes on the "LOAD" side. The "COIL" is the trigger.

grow-light-controller-11.jpg

Here you can see the contacts. They will be pulled down by the electromagnet the coil charges.

grow-light-controller-12.jpg

This is a "double pole" relay. We will put one of our 120 volt wires on pole 1 and the other on pole 2. In a 240 volt circuit you must disconnect both 120 volt wires at the same time.

grow-light-controller-13.jpg
grow-light-controller-14.jpg

Here I have connected the 16/3 power cord to the coil to using the black and white wires. It does not matter what side you connect them to. When you plug it in you should hear a click and see the contacts close.

grow-light-controller-15.jpg

Just to give you an overview of how it works, here is the power coming in on the line side. Notice that the two outside wires on the dryer cord go to the two poles and the inner one is the ground. The black and white from the connector go to the load side of the two poles. In this situation, it does not matter what pole you connect the black or white to.

Assembly
grow-light-controller-16.jpg
grow-light-controller-17.jpg

First I put the relay in the center of the junction box and made some marks through the mounting holes of the relay. Then drilled two 3/16 inch holes.

grow-light-controller-18.jpg

I also drilled a hole in the side for the ground screw. Also above you can see the knock-outs missing. The one on the left is for the 16/3 power cord, this hole should measure 7/8 inch. The one on the left is for the dryer cord, it should measure 1-1/8 inch.

grow-light-controller-19.jpg

I prepared four sets of wires as shown above using the ring terminals. I made them one foot long but they can be longer if you have your ballasts far from the dryer plug. Since we are using 14/3 wire, you could make them long enough to go from one side of your house to the other. Be careful not to cut too deep into the insulation or you will cut the copper. Inside the yellow connector is a strip gauge for the wire (above left). If you cut too much of the black insulation off, the clamp will not hold.

grow-light-controller-28.jpg

When you crimp the ring terminals, test them. If you pull on them, they should not come apart!

grow-light-controller-20.jpg

Insert the wires into the connectors. The green must go to the green screw. Again, in this situation it does not matter where you put the black and white.

grow-light-controller-21.jpg

Assemble the rest of the connectors.

grow-light-controller-22.jpg

You should have with four sets of these.

grow-light-controller-23.jpg

After I mounted the relay, I connected the 16/3 power cord to the coil and the ground screw. If your using Romex clamps, put the clamp on first.

grow-light-controller-24.jpg

Then I connected the dryer cord to one side of the relay and grounded the center wire.

grow-light-controller-25.jpg

The hole on the left is 7/8 inch, the one on the right is 1-1/8 inch. The dryer cord comes with these funky clamps, you may have to bend it to get it through the hole.

grow-light-controller-26.jpg

Now it starts to get tight. I put the four 14/3 cords with the connectors through the box. The holes for these should be 7/8 inch. Notice the four black on one pole and the white on the other. Also they are all grounded. Now tighten all the screws and pack the wire against the inside of the box so nothing is rubbing the relay.

grow-light-controller-27.jpg

Use the cord restraints or Romex clamps to hold the wires in place. We have a special tool but pliers will work too.

grow-light-controller-9.jpg

Put the cover on and your done!

Iwould like to give credit to who ivented it but iduno wh so htank you who... the end

ps I guess you could hard wire the whole thing and you dont have to buy plugs...