What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis strains for insomnia?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
In my experience, the high of a vaporizer is more intense but smoking has the heaviest stone to it for me personally. Edibles are by far the heaviest I have experienced in terms of the effect in relation to method of intake. Thanks for the advice.

Grojak

In my experience, the high of a vaporizer is more intense but smoking has the heaviest stone to it for me personally. Edibles are by far the heaviest I have experienced in terms of the effect in relation to method of intake. Thanks for the advice.

I'm just curious, have you hit off a balloon system like a volcano or something similar? I get so plastered off a balloon, I think its cause I'm able to take as big of a vape hit as I want. I got tollerence but man vaping big hits like that floors me and makes me very sleepy

JustSumTomatoes

Yeah I've blazed off a Volcano before. Got me totally ripped but I didn't feel sleepy. This could have a lot to do with the strain though.

weedtoker

Veteran
Yeah I've blazed off a Volcano before. Got me totally ripped but I didn't feel sleepy. This could have a lot to do with the strain though.

Nope, it's because there's no combustion/temperature of vape, that's why many smokers can't switch, or take a little while to figure vaping out for their needs, mos of the things on the market don't have that smoking kick. I started smoking herbs with cigs at teen years, nowadays I vape, I eat, I smoke resin and sometimes pure joints. If I don't combust (eat,vape, low temp dab), or the more I clean the cannabinoids, terpenes, whatelse goes with them, the less physical/sedating the high seems to be no matter what. I often wondered if it's just what's released as by product of combustion, or something contained in the flower, that when burned in conjunction with the cannabs and terps does that...

As other have stated also, cannabis is first up, then down. So you can use that to your advantage NLD/WLD/hybrids of them. If you really can't sleep, it might be the last resort option, but I would still advise folks the give the edible route a try, specially after finding right dosage, and/or smoking a fatty a couple hours before zleep time.

Sleep is gold sometimes, so have your rest in order, if possible and take it easy!:tiphat:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Sativas work well for me as well, they help slow my mind down, relax me and allow me to get shit done before I sleep. Just like was said a couple hours before bed and I drift off easily, no burn out, no hangover not groggy feeling. I also find longer cures help, 3 months to 4 years, not sure why, maybe it smooths out the thc over time as it degrades and isn't as high as the fresh.

JustSumTomatoes

Nope, it's because there's no combustion/temperature of vape, that's why many smokers can't switch, or take a little while to figure vaping out for their needs, mos of the things on the market don't have that smoking kick. I started smoking herbs with cigs at teen years, nowadays I vape, I eat, I smoke resin and sometimes pure joints. If I don't combust (eat,vape, low temp dab), or the more I clean the cannabinoids, terpenes, whatelse goes with them, the less physical/sedating the high seems to be no matter what. I often wondered if it's just what's released as by product of combustion, or something contained in the flower, that when burned in conjunction with the cannabs and terps does that...

As other have stated also, cannabis is first up, then down. So you can use that to your advantage NLD/WLD/hybrids of them. If you really can't sleep, it might be the last resort option, but I would still advise folks the give the edible route a try, specially after finding right dosage, and/or smoking a fatty a couple hours before zleep time.

Sleep is gold sometimes, so have your rest in order, if possible and take it easy!:tiphat:

I'll probably be taking the edibles/tinctures route since that has had the most sedating effect for me so far. Thanks for the input!

JustSumTomatoes

Sativas work well for me as well, they help slow my mind down, relax me and allow me to get shit done before I sleep. Just like was said a couple hours before bed and I drift off easily, no burn out, no hangover not groggy feeling. I also find longer cures help, 3 months to 4 years, not sure why, maybe it smooths out the thc over time as it degrades and isn't as high as the fresh.

I was actually thinking of growing out a sativa and giving it a try just to see how it works. I've noticed some indicas don't do a thing for me while some hybrids are really effective for me. There are a lot of factors to consider though as to why this is. Thanks for the info!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I recently smoked some plushberry that left me needing a nap. I do not like sleepy herb so I really noticed it trying to lay me out. I did not grow it so I have no idea about the pheno hunt.

I was able to get some blue cheese buds last night.they smell amazing good size buds taste was great too
But for me effect isn't there not good enough for insomnia so I can score this off my list.the search continues for insomnia killer...

Grojak

blueberry, what i've grown and smoked on has always been a more euphoric high, like smoke it and enjoy art or a movie but not sleep.

JustSumTomatoes

All the cheese strains I've tried have never made me feel sleepy. They all tasted good and smelled like a straight block of cheese though and had a nice uplifting high!

mushroombrew

Veteran
Fire OG, Boss OG and Thin Mint are the most relaxing sleepy strains I have.

Double Dream is a classic sativa buzz. With a huge crash after 1 hr. I use bubblehash. Bit racy for 30 mins then out cold!

stadanko

Dogwalker OG really helps with sleep for me, but seeds could be hard to find. Florida medical has it in oil cartridges for their vape pens, it works great. Looks like it was originally bred in PNW, maybe riot gear. Highly rated in review comments for ptsd, anxiety, depression as well.

I tried the blue cheese because it was recommended for sleep because of heavy couchlock but I didn't experience a couchlock but good high.atleast I can make it off my list.

KONY

Veteran
I am of the opinion with this topic that it is much less to do with the individual strain, even if its sativa leaning and more to do with it being properly mature. Indica leaning things 70 days even if others say they are done in 56 days. Sativa 80+ days minimum.

Also if you can manage and function starting to smoke first thing when waking up in the morning. These two things combined will make it very hard to stay awake far into the night pending you are getting proper exercise during the day.

I suffered insomnia for years before I started growing my own.

Twoey

I agree with you Kony, I also noticed that if you smoke sativa hybrids during the day usually at night I don't have many problems to fall asleep anyway when I can't do this usually Bubba Kush send me directly from joint to bed. So fast indeed that recently I've come to dislike that strain. But I admit that when It's 3 A.M. and I can't sleep no matter what, a little Bubba and it's pillow time :)

Nirrity

i don't have much exp with indicas but when i let s.a.d. ('98 black domina) go for like 11-12 weeks it didn't become any more sleepy/stoney.
sleepy couchlock effect comes from myrcene. the higher the myrcene content the stonier s strain is. honestly i doubt letting indicas go longer produce more myrcene. i am more inclined to think that it just let some thc to decompose, so the thc:terpenes ration shift little bit in favour of terpenes. the highest myrcene content i've seen has "gemstone" strain. it used to be sold at "mint leaf" dispencary. it has around 4% of myrcene with 0,8% pinene as a second spike, also one the highest terpene content overall, thc around 14%, so thc : terpene ratio is whopping 3:1, the majority of strains are more like 10 : 1.

weedtoker

Veteran
i don't have much exp with indicas but when i let s.a.d. ('98 black domina) go for like 11-12 weeks it didn't become any more sleepy/stoney.
sleepy couchlock effect comes from myrcene. the higher the myrcene content the stonier s strain is. honestly i doubt letting indicas go longer produce more myrcene.

First question, who said β-myrcene has a "sleepy/couchlock effect" and/or implied it's the only one responsible for that? (hint, more contribute, even Dr. Ethan Russo said lately :biggrin:).

Second question, who/what lead you to believe that letting broad leaves and BL Hybrids longer would give you that so linearly? It's a plant! She doesn't care what you think, she does what she wants/ she's wired to do biologically and for this conversation Chemically.

Testing IS/WILL always necessary on each given cultivar/varietal be it lab tested, be it "head" tested on preference. Change your environment and you change even more the variables, even with the same cutting. Might seem overwhelming, but in the end it will be one of the things that saves cannabis as a craft...:dance013:

cheers:tiphat:

Nirrity

Skunkman said it. as to who implied it's the only one responsible for that - i got no clue. where did you read that?

... and some like Myrcene made the THC high more narcotic, couchlock, stronger then 100% pure THC. Some like limonene contribute to the up , clear, speedy, psychadelic effects.
This was confirmed by an organolepctic test of 100 questions before and after the tests which were for one THC/terpene combo a day. The testing was double blind...

Couch lock is enhanced by CBD, but I agree that varieties with no CBD can be couch lock just from THC and terpenes like Myrcene.
On average WLD varieties do have more CBD then NLD varieties, some much more, but what we see analyzed are the selected clones not the average. So they do have less CBD then the average.
-SamS

as to second question i guess it is your assumptions about my believe system and they are not correct.