What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

REAL Landrace Colombian Gold.

TicalionStalion

Hey, it could be from a different region in Colombia, I can't be �� on that, but decades old and from Colombia I can be sure of. It was only my first run with it. I took it to 85 plus days but some still had clear trichs, next time I'll try it 12 plus weeks. Thanks for the comments guys. Water, ur cool in my book. I can't deny I have seen more sativa/landrace looking CG, but like I said I mentioned, this one pheno was one of the only workable phenos for indoor growing that he found. Maybe the family crossed it years ago. Like it's been said without genetically testing it....just thought you boys n girls would enjoy the bud along w the heritage and the story to wrap it up.

W

Water-

thanks for being understanding. I was being harsh . I should have worded things differently.
Some times i'm a bit Aspergery and overly blunt.
plus I could be totally wrong and you got your hands on super unique old landrace.

I enjoyed your story and I appreciate you sharing it and the pics.

Aloha

TicalionStalion

Thanks Water

Thanks Water

I do like the post where dude says "I must say it looks alot like what we would grow from our seeds of Columbian gold imported" iv heard that in real life from one of my old vet customers, iv smoked up a few cats that were well in there 50s, 60s, and they told me THATS IT!

But still all these factors, it's hard to go off of one man's story, but it certainly doesn't sound like BS and I can tell ya this guy let me borrow and old book about smuggling in the 60s n 70s and told me that was written about his crew. Dudes been around the block I know that.

Not gonna lie, its gonna get different looking as u dial her in. Got some tips from the guy, I'll post back on this thread when I get some more runs w her under my belt.

Thanks y'all! :)

CanadaDank

I do like the post where dude says "I must say it looks alot like what we would grow from our seeds of Columbian gold imported" iv heard that in real life from one of my old vet customers, iv smoked up a few cats that were well in there 50s, 60s, and they told me THATS IT!

But still all these factors, it's hard to go off of one man's story, but it certainly doesn't sound like BS and I can tell ya this guy let me borrow and old book about smuggling in the 60s n 70s and told me that was written about his crew. Dudes been around the block I know that.

Not gonna lie, its gonna get different looking as u dial her in. Got some tips from the guy, I'll post back on this thread when I get some more runs w her under my belt.

Thanks y'all! :)

Wow man that’s quite an awesome story! I bet she’s real special. Love that effect you describe. If you ever want some more special landrace genetics, let me know and maybe I can set up a trade. But it sounds like you want to keep that one exclusive.

Gry

Some of my better memories involve of a cup of hot tea and bong hits of gold lumbo.

Last edited:

west-eu

Colombian Gold 72 / Colombian Gold x Chem og
picture.php

Original Gage Green Colombian Gold

Original Gage Green Colombian Gold

CG from Gage Green seed stock. Grew the Pure Gold last season.

The CG in the picture from this season have a Mex/Afghani male from very old seeds. Cross was not intentional

Plants still very Colombian dominant but buds have more frost and a stronger nose to them. Old School.

bigherb

Veteran
CG from Gage Green seed stock. Grew the Pure Gold last season.

The CG in the picture from this season have a Mex/Afghani male from very old seeds. Cross was not intentional
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74954&pictureid=1794303&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74954&pictureid=1794289&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74954&pictureid=1794287&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Plants still very Colombian dominant but buds have more frost and a stronger nose to them. Old School.

How did the GG CG come out , I'd love too see pics and hear a smoke report if possible

1luvbigherb

Pure GG CG smoke report

Pure GG CG smoke report

Hi Big Herb

I don't have any pictures of the GG CG plants from last year, i had a few on my old phone and phone is gone now, went thru the wash. The pictures below are of buds of the pure GG CG from last year.

Its connoisseur smoke for those who seek pure sativa. All in the head and not much if any body. No anxiety or paranoia, pretty mellow but very motivating, clear and euphoric. Thoughts become animated. Its what i smoke if i need to keep a clear head. Pure CG and Oaxacan are my favorites.

Lighter effect than the club cuts we have here and not at all overpowering with to much thc compared to nor cal poly hybrids although its certainly a building block of today's strains.

Most smokers that i know and show it to are interested in it as a novelty more than a daily smoke. Its a fun strain to break out with friends.

Finished buds smell piney lemony with slightly fruity (grape) undertones but when you pinch the bud the smell is sour with pine and eucalyptus. Its very distinctive and old school, slightly skunky even.

1/2 of the female plants the buds were purple and the others were green. Very fluffy and not much weight. I let them get very big and they leaned over especially after rain. I did tie them up but every branch that could still leaned over. No bud rot. They went into December before i cut them down. No need to care about rain.

I have some better pictures i will post of this years plants- not the pure CG from last year but the CG with late 70s Mex /Afghani male.

From the plants this year, all the plants except one look Colombian dominant. This was out of 12 seeds i grew. I have more. Will be looking for some males to cross with club cuts, that could produce something interesting.

Last edited:

frostqueen

Jesus, how did I know this would happen, Water how long have you been growing? how old are you? do you know what Overgrow.com even was? if you had been a member for 12-13 years I wouldn't be asking.

any old heads on here who remember me know I don't fuck around. don't hate, appreciate the heritage.

and No Ill tone toward you in this at all my friend. I'm just wondering why your such an authority. maybe i'm the asshole, who knows.

No need for anybody to get bunched up about it. It is what it is, and this looks fantastic.

People need to move past the whole 'real deal' obsession, IMO. There are often many variations with old strains like this. People get really hung up about the validity of word-of-mouth claims of 'pure heritage', and recent DNA sequences are showing that pretty much everyone is wrong to a certain extent about most strains, so...

You could verify your heritage by getting a DNA sequence done if you live in Oregon. Probably other states, too. This type of service will become more common in the coming years. It's still pretty expensive right now.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Big Herb

I don't have any pictures of the GG CG plants from last year, i had a few on my old phone and phone is gone now, went thru the wash. The pictures below are of buds of the pure GG CG from last year.

Its connoisseur smoke for those who seek pure sativa. All in the head and not much if any body. No anxiety or paranoia, pretty mellow but very motivating, clear and euphoric. Thoughts become animated. Its what i smoke if i need to keep a clear head. Pure CG and Oaxacan are my favorites.

Lighter effect than the club cuts we have here and not at all overpowering with to much thc compared to nor cal poly hybrids although its certainly a building block of today's strains.

Most smokers that i know and show it to are interested in it as a novelty more than a daily smoke. Its a fun strain to break out with friends.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74954&pictureid=1796158&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Finished buds smell piney lemony with slightly fruity undertones but when you pinch the bud the smell is sour with pine and eucalyptus. Its very distinctive and old school, slightly skunky even.

1/2 of the female plants the buds were purple and the others were green. Very fluffy and not much weight. I let them get very big and they leaned over especially after rain. I did tie them up but every branch that could still leaned over. No bud rot. They went into December before i cut them down. No need to care about rain.

I have some better pictures i will post of this years plants- not the pure CG from last year but the CG with late 70s Mex /Afghani male.

From the plants this year, all the plants except one look Colombian dominant. This was out of 12 seeds i grew. I have more. Will be looking for some males to cross with club cuts, that could produce something interesting.

I am with you on these old sativa strains being preferred to the cali hybrids. I think you meant the hybrids have too much thc? I wonder why someone would not want this as their daily smoke.

The hybrids would seem to be more of a weekend or 'weekender' type smoke. I am smoking the USC CG '72 and it has an effect not much different in potency than what is at the dispensaries around here. Not sure on the thc but a couple hits is all I need.

All in the head though and the comedown is clean. So important to me is the after effects, or lack thereof.

All the hybrids seem to drain me of too much energy. I feel sober after coming down from the heirloom sativas, and the next day no hangover or feeling a bit high.

Better Pics Of CG

Better Pics Of CG

picture.php

these plants have a Afghani father. Frost queen summed it up nicely.

Last edited:
Hi Yesum
I agree. I grew up with 1st and second generation hybrids. Child of 80s.. We called it KGB and the rest was brown weed. Thai was an exception and also in a class by itself. KGB was always green and often smelled like skunk. It would always have a smell coming from your pocket. I remember there were some sweet berry smelling crosses too. Afghan and Thai cross probably. I like growing old seeds- you never now what you will get. I am going to keep working on them beans, cross the old with the new:bigeye:

picture.php

Sativan

The red is awesome. If you believe the method your customer claimed he came by the beans then you've got some gems. It's hard to tell a hybrid from a landrace. If it's good bud it doesn't matter what the genetics are.

Sativan

I'm growing some W.O.S. Columbian Gold which I doubt is a true landrace. But I can't tell if I don't try to grow it.

Wolfshadoe

Well said

Well said

I grew the "real deal" back in the 70's. I can say for a fact that it won't look like what we got in the 70's for the simple fact that A: what you grew was indoor, and B: the way the 70's weed was processed and cured is far different than the way you grew and cured.

Sooo, that being said, it's hard to say for sure what you have is OG 'Lumbo gold, however it looks like primo herb and there's no way to tell from a pic if it's truly legit.

The real deal took 12-14 weeks or more to mature and because of harvest and cure methods used by the Colombian growers back in the day, the weed direct from the source at the time didn't look like what we grew from the seeds in those bags.

So, maybe it is, maybe it ain't, but without a genetic test, it's nearly impossible to tell for sure. It does look a lot like what we grew from seeds we got back in the day.

BTW...Good read ..Thanks for sharing..Very believable OG community is >>Alive and well:biggrin: LOL Dan..I did the same thing and was pissed I could not get it that golden look!!..Back in those days "we"smuggled lots of weed..Some paid hard..Some didnt
But I had the pleasure to speak w a columbian on boat that spoke english...I asked him "how" they got it GOLD,,Turns out ,its quite simple..They "rung" the plants and dried and cured right on the plant..Then barned it...Squished it with hydrualic jack..

Sure enough!! I tried it the following year and was spot on!!!
Then The US started liking the "new" green sinsimillia when that book came out>>Name escapes me,but i was already doing that then..My first grows came from bails from that weed...LOL Dont think a 15 year old wasnt sampling all that good herb:biggrin:
Good thread dude..Peace!! <ws>

meizzwang

No need for anybody to get bunched up about it. It is what it is, and this looks fantastic.

People need to move past the whole 'real deal' obsession, IMO. There are often many variations with old strains like this.

I think people obsess over "the real deal" because they're looking for specific characteristics in a particular variety that has made it famous and highly sought after. Imagine the disappointment when your pay top dollar for an authentic landrace line only to find out that you got some common hybrid...or even worse, you end up with the same shitty common skunk hybrid variety that you're very tired of!
There's also a lot of mislabeling going on in the cannabis industry, both by accident and on purpose. However, if an imposter version has the exact same or even better flavor and effects as the real deal, I personally don't see a problem with that (ie. Panama strain).

When I grew out N*rvana's "landrace" El Dorado and got some shitty skunk hybrid with a typical skunk effect, I was really disappointed and lost trust in the company's credibility.

Many connoisseurs have lost trust in some varietal names being distributed because the average stoner isn't going to be able to tell a hybrid imposter from the original real deal cultivar. This allows some vendors to get away with mislabeling their products, which feeds the chain of mistrust.